Am I worrying too much?

Bea_millard

Visit site
My pony has been out most of the day (he is brought in for a few hours a day) since the last bank holiday. Today I found him lying in his stable (he’s in when I get there after work) and my YO says he’s been lying down a lot today. And in fact has said she’s caught him lying down quite a bit recently. He’s moved field to the one right at the front of the yard and my YO now spends more time at my yard as she’s giving up her other one.

His hooves aren’t hot, he seems to be walking and standing okay.

Could it be the dreaded L word or is it more likely he’s being a 6 year old who is getting tired because he’s now out a lot more which means more galloping/playing time?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if there is more grass and he is out for longer he may just be full up and so nothing to worry about. is he landing his foot on the ground as normal? i dont think hooves are always hot on the case of laminitis and if the pulses are up ( if you dont know how to feel for pulses your YO might be able to check him for you. ).. i would be cautious and keep him in for a while and/or call the vet.

Bea_millard

Visit site
if there is more grass and he is out for longer he may just be full up and so nothing to worry about. is he landing his foot on the ground as normal? i dont think hooves are not always hot on the case of laminitis and if the pulses are u[ ( if you dont know how to feel for pulses your YO might be able to check him for you. ).. i would be cautious and keep him in for a while and/or call the vet.

Yeah he’s out for about 20 hours now as opposed to around 8! I watched him for about 10 minutes and he seemed to be walking correctly (toe-heel). I’m just worried because of the high risk of laminitis at the moment

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
assuming he seems generally well & no pulses (obv double check this first) then I would say that it's just normal for a horse that has changed routine to be outside more - several of mine enjoy a nice snooze in their quiet stables when they've been outside playing and eating relentlessly. They aren't as bothered about eating their hay so use the inside time to catch up on sleep :)

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
One of mine has recently been grazing the path way up to our summer fields as it’s so long! She spends most her evenings lying down sleeping when brought in, she’s just rather full.

I’d keep an eye but most likely it’s just down to the increase of hours turned out and extra grass.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Mine's out at night now and comes in during the day to a haynet he hardly touches. He seems to lie down snoozing for the most of the day, I have to get him out of bed to ride him, but he's fine.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
My 6yo is out overnight, comes in and sleeps all day. But he is at risk of laminitis - he is a native & prone to rapid weight gain! Anyway I wouldn't say lying down is necessarily laminitis as my two do it if out all night but raised digital pulses, footiness, fat pads, swollen sheath on a gelding, filled hollows above eyes may indicate a problem.

Bea_millard

Visit site
Thank you, everyone. It seems it’s just his routine changing/being out more but I will of course keep an eye on him!