American paint people - what colour is this horse?

cptrayes

Visit site
This is my new boy. He's an ISH by an American Paint. What is this colouring called?

I think he's spectacular, I've always wanted a chestnut skewbald, but I know that's not the official name for his colouring.

All 'but he's gorgeous' comments welcome :), because he is!!

image.jpeg

cptrayes

Visit site
Clueless about colours but wow! He is flashy! What a gorgeous, striking horse! What are your plans?

He's four and has been badly done over the winter in Ireland, thin and covered in ringworm :-(. He's being backed for me now while I bring on the cob I have also just bought and broken. He has dressage paces and a big pop, so I plan to do something of everything with him and have some fun as he gains in strength. He's got alot of growing to do yet. He has the softest temperament I've ever come across, he's a real sweetheart who loves people.

I got him cheap because he has three sarcoids. I felt it was a risk I was prepared to take to get my hands on him. He is even nicer in the flesh than in the photo!

be positive

Visit site
No idea on the correct term for his markings but just had to say he is so unusual, really interesting and eyecatching, he will look very smart under saddle, is the other side similar?

cptrayes

Visit site
How big is he??

Will end up at least sixteen two. Probably sixteen one now.

No idea on the correct term for his markings but just had to say he is so unusual, really interesting and eyecatching, he will look very smart under saddle, is the other side similar?

It's almost identical. He has one spectacular eye which is a marl mix of blue and brown.

Sheep

Visit site
Well all the very best with him - he looks wonderful, even from the still photo I can see he has a lot of presence and to my very untrained eye that hind leg looks smashing! Keep us posted on his progress!

Hopefully someone will be along soon who knows about colours! Lol

cptrayes

Visit site
Frame Overo :)

I read something about 'splashed white' , and is he sorrel? A sorrel splashed white frame overo????

His dad is pretty good apparently. Is there any point in me paying to have him DNA tested to prove it? I don't plan to sell him and I bought him for what he is, not how he's bred.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
As far as I remember the splash gene tends display more mottled markings generally lower down.

I say frame Overo as the white is surrounded by solid colour & does not cross the spine (which is description of Frame Overo) however.....it is possible for tobiano & overo patterns to co-exist on a horse & overlap making the horse look like a frame or even in some cases solid colours! It has happened that 2 'solid' horses produce coloured babies & tests show its because the 2 patterns overlap to such an extent that horse looks solid :eek:

Only way to know for sure is to get him tested, but really if he is gelded theres not much point other than curiosity :)

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Sorrel is chestnut (genetically 'ee' one 'e' from each parent as recessive) I think, if he were pure paint I guess he would be referred to as Sorrel but as he's also ID you could call him either :)

cptrayes

Visit site
Sorrel is chestnut (genetically 'ee' one 'e' from each parent as recessive) I think, if he were pure paint I guess he would be referred to as Sorrel but as he's also ID you could call him either :)

Thank you. As he's Irish I guess I should call him chestnut frame overo. I'm looking forward to riding him, but mostly just to seeing him in my field, he's such a picture :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Beautiful! Yes chestnut frame overo, but he also has another white modifier (hence the white socks), so maybe sabino in him too.

cambrica

Visit site
Wow - he is exquisite! Beautiful looking horse. Looking forward to seeing some pics with his full summer coat.

cptrayes

Visit site
Wow - he is exquisite! Beautiful looking horse. Looking forward to seeing some pics with his full summer coat.

He's very orange!! His coat is covered in perfect orange ringworm circles where the hair has regrown :)

Thanks everyone, I do think he's speshul, otherwise I wouldn't risk the sarcoids.