American paint people - what colour is this horse?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
He is lovely. It's so nice to see a non-tobiano coloured/pinto - you'll certainly stand out with him. :)

RE his colour. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a lot going on. Chestnut/sorrel (ee) base. Splashed white will cause blue eyes that are not surrounded by white markings, so if his blaze doesn't go over his eyelids, then he could have SW. The jagged edges on his socks are an indicator of sabino. As many have stated he is a Frame overo.

I wish you lots of luck with him and hope that the sarcoids don't give any trouble at all.

cptrayes

Visit site
He is lovely. It's so nice to see a non-tobiano coloured/pinto - you'll certainly stand out with him. :)

RE his colour. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a lot going on. Chestnut/sorrel (ee) base. Splashed white will cause blue eyes that are not surrounded by white markings, so if his blaze doesn't go over his eyelids, then he could have SW. The jagged edges on his socks are an indicator of sabino. As many have stated he is a Frame overo.

I wish you lots of luck with him and hope that the sarcoids don't give any trouble at all.

Fascinating!

The left eye has the blaze extending to the top of it. Both eyes have a white surround to the iris. The right eye is brown. The left eye is a spectacular brown with a blue centre, with spurs of blue radiating out into the brown, giving it an iridescent turquoise appearance. I don't know what mum was, and I've no idea why his parentage is not recorded, but he has a Tanzanite stud prefix and was imported from Ireland two months ago.

So now he's a sorrel frame overo with possible splashed white and probable sabino genes?

Last edited:

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site

Faracat I do enjoy your posts immensely :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Fascinating!

The left eye has the blaze extending to the top of it. Both eyes have a white surround to the iris. The right eye is brown. The left eye is a spectacular brown with a blue centre, with spurs of blue radiating out into the brown, giving it an iridescent turquoise appearance. I don't know what mum was, and I've no idea why his parentage is not recorded, but he has a Tanzanite stud prefix and was imported from Ireland two months ago.

So now he's a sorrel frame overo with possible splashed white and probable sabino genes?

That's interesting as I have read that partially blue and partially brown eyes can be associated with Sabino1 (which can be tested for, unlike other forms of sabino), so maybe that's more likely than SW? Does he have any white flecks in his coat? They should be easer to see when his summer coat comes through.

Really looking at his phenotype is just making an educated guess, if you want to know exactly what he is, then DNA testing is the way forward, but unfortunately they can't test for everything yet.

SLH - I'm glad that you enjoy my posts. I'm just an interested amateur, but it's nice when others share my fascination with how all these beautiful colours and patterns can come from only two pigments and no pigment - I just find it amazing. :)

ETA - CPT, I've just seen that he does have white flecks in his coat. That also indicates sabino. I think that you can say with some certainty, that he has some form of sabino.

Last edited:

cptrayes

Visit site
image-2.jpeg
Other side:)

cptrayes

Visit site
Good grief....he really is an amazing looking horse...!!!!!!!! Not jealous......much :D

At the price he was on at I couldn't leave him there just because of a couple of sarcoids in areas nowhere near any tack or moving parts. If necessary, I'll have them cut out, there's enough skin to do it if it can't be done with poison.

image-3.jpeg

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm dislike coloureds generally but he is stunning, really eyecatching. I love the fact he is mainly chestnut. Gorgeous boy, and look at him move!

angrovestud

Visit site
Frame seems to rely on DW for its expression or splash, you don't always get a white horse I bred one that only had a foot square patch of white on him

doriangrey

Visit site
He really is stunning. Just to throw a bit more into the mix, could he have the flaxen modifying gene too as his mane and tail are a bit lighter or is it not light enough?

cptrayes

Visit site
He really is stunning. Just to throw a bit more into the mix, could he have the flaxen modifying gene too as his mane and tail are a bit lighter or is it not light enough?

DG, the clip is deceptive. His mane and tail are a LOT lighter than his coat colour.

cptrayes

Visit site

pistolpete

Visit site
No, not your type at all now you are into cobs, think you should just pop him in the post to me! Pete would love a ginger and white brother!