An early "Next weekend" thread - a hot one!

j1ffy

Visit site
SaddlePsych'd - that doesn't sound like a fun experience at all, what a shame. I do think you can 'click' with some instructors more than others but, as Red-1 said, that sounds like a real failure on their part. I've had instructors who seem to think that being negative helps (perhaps so you try harder and harder for a positive comment?!) but actually it can come across as very controlling and border-line manipulative. I'm all for honest, even blunt, feedback but not a drip-drip of negativity. I hope the next instructor is a big improvement!

It's been a tricky couple of days at work so it was just lovely to get out on Chilli last night. He was very enthusiastic and I let him pick the direction out of the yard - we usually go left and around the village but he felt adventurous and headed to the right. That route goes straight up to a National Trust site, White Horse Hill, which so far I've avoided as it can be very overwhelming with sheep, children, kites, dogs and the odd paraglider. I also tend to find horses always get a spring in their step...after all it is the home of Epona. Well, he was just great. I hopped off to open the gate at the bottom and he stood like a rock when I got on, then stormed on up the road with ears pricked. He did jog when we turned around to go home but that was it, overall just a lovely stroll out on a beautiful evening:

287000806_10159831128519043_2846240771131581761_n.jpg

287070862_10159831128514043_9092738763862094375_n.jpg

We braved the heat today for some schooling and he was a good boy again, still a little tense after canter but it's improving hugely. I have to remind myself that walk / trot was the same a few months ago but he's now 90% better in those paces so we will get there!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Early hack round the farm ride for us before the heat ramped up. A breeze was welcome, too. I've cracked the water problem, which is really pleasing because he was about as resistant about getting his feet wet as any horse I've known. We haven't been wading in the river yet, but I can't see any reason not to do that when I'm feeling up for it.

We won't be doing anything else this weekend unless it cools off a bit.

Last edited:

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
SaddlePsych'd - that doesn't sound like a fun experience at all, what a shame. I do think you can 'click' with some instructors more than others but, as Red-1 said, that sounds like a real failure on their part. I've had instructors who seem to think that being negative helps (perhaps so you try harder and harder for a positive comment?!) but actually it can come across as very controlling and border-line manipulative. I'm all for honest, even blunt, feedback but not a drip-drip of negativity. I hope the next instructor is a big improvement!

It's been a tricky couple of days at work so it was just lovely to get out on Chilli last night. He was very enthusiastic and I let him pick the direction out of the yard - we usually go left and around the village but he felt adventurous and headed to the right. That route goes straight up to a National Trust site, White Horse Hill, which so far I've avoided as it can be very overwhelming with sheep, children, kites, dogs and the odd paraglider. I also tend to find horses always get a spring in their step...after all it is the home of Epona. Well, he was just great. I hopped off to open the gate at the bottom and he stood like a rock when I got on, then stormed on up the road with ears pricked. He did jog when we turned around to go home but that was it, overall just a lovely stroll out on a beautiful evening:

View attachment 94453

View attachment 94454

We braved the heat today for some schooling and he was a good boy again, still a little tense after canter but it's improving hugely. I have to remind myself that walk / trot was the same a few months ago but he's now 90% better in those paces so we will get there!

Beautiful views!

Fairly quiet one for my boys - dressage lessons tomorrow and probably just a hack out on Sunday.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site

View attachment 94453

View attachment 94454

Thank you (and Red). I had arrived early so the lesson started early and they did extend the lesson to account for the 'lost' time on the first horse, which I thought was pretty good and recognised the initial mismatch. I'm sure that horse is an excellent teacher but I've got lots to iron out first! I will book in a couple of weeks and try again with a positive mindset. I think they have updated their notes for which horses will be good for me so hopefully that will get things off to a better start.

Eta - also, amazing hacking pics!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

View attachment 94453

View attachment 94454

I would kill for hacking like that straight from the yard!

scats

Visit site
Vet today about a couple of niggles with Millie. Some expected news and some slightly unexpected. Full work up, nerve blocks and x-rays.
Mild hock arthritis, which I expected. Wasn’t expecting the changes to the coffin joint and navicular bone though :rolleyes: Horses!
Mark was lovely and said she’ll 100% be able to continue with her hacking and farm ride workload. We are going to inject Arthramid to begin with and see how we get on.

McFluff

Visit site
Two prelim tests for me tomorrow then our first BD novice test on Sunday. No pressure at all as we have our area qualifications so this is just getting some arena time, and a chance to practice for the areas in July.
Going to do some writing too, which I’m looking forward to. Always learn something.
Its windy here (Scotland) and not that warm (about 17), so I’ll be wearing a jacket! We even had rain today. Think we’re scheduled to be 14 degrees on Sunday. Send the sun our way please.

humblepie

Visit site
Oh Chippers caught on camera. Hope all okay. Not a competing weekend for us but nice long hack this morning though the horse flies a bit pesky at one point and wasn’t sure if about to get a thunder storm or the distant artillery guns from Salisbury Plain.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
We had a little mishap out SJ this morning..
View attachment 94484
First time in over 20 years of riding that I've actually fallen off at a jump! But now I've got it over with hopefully my confidence issues may be gone (wishful thinking perhaps?!)

Whoops! Hope you're alright Chippers.

I had a really lovely hack with (ex) share horse today. It was incredibly busy with some kind of walking event on and D of E groups everywhere but she is just such an angel, it never phases her and we just enjoy the ride.

For all my feeling so down about my lesson the other day, I did practice the position adjustments and it might just be coincidence but share horse did feel better.

Chippers1

Visit site
Just dented pride mainly!
It wasn't a great set up really, you can't tell from that angle but when you approached the double all you could see in the get away was that huge wing and pole fence line set up so although I didn't ride it well (I was trying to fit a one stride in as it was set on horse strides, he normally would've done it!) You can see in the video that he just completely hesitates, boggling at the big jump he probably thought he had to do, whilst also trying to fit another stride in and it just goes to pot!
I landed right in the middle of the oxer with all the poles on my legs ? we went and popped an upright and oxer in the warm up so we're all good hopefully. Its a shame as he was jumping so nicely before this!

Bernster

Visit site
Hope you’re ok chippers!

Had a really nice day at cholsey today, 2 hour hack up and down hills. Mainly walk as the ground was hard. All horses did well and it was nice to catch up with friends in a lovely location. Nursing two bruises now though, one where my leg got jammed in a narrow gate and the other when Bertie trod on me getting off the lorry! Glad it wasn’t tropical heat today though.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Not particularly wow-some weekend but a happy one all the same. Last week i properly lost my mojo. tried to keep going with Quiz because if you don't then he goes feral, but mum in hospital and dad going down a hole meant my head was so not in the game and he properly took advantage of it! I always go into a catastrophising spiral then, oh i can't ride, i can't ride this horse, it's a disaster yadda yadda. anyway. back on track this weekend and had 2 good rides despite still dealing with feral-aftermath. Today he felt like a right posh horse prancing about. Have to ride him like one, brave pants on and ride properly forward. Onwards!

288526483_5579795668698564_6752315145039496117_n.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Hope you’re ok chippers!

Had a really nice day at cholsey today, 2 hour hack up and down hills. Mainly walk as the ground was hard. All horses did well and it was nice to catch up with friends in a lovely location. Nursing two bruises now though, one where my leg got jammed in a narrow gate and the other when Bertie trod on me getting off the lorry! Glad it wasn’t tropical heat today though.
Ouch Bernster! My like was for your fab ride, not the bruise collection!

j1ffy

Visit site
Happy birthday AE!
Chippers - I hope you’re not sore today, what a shame.

What was billed as a pole-to-grid clinic turned out to be a polework clinic only. I didn’t mind as I’m a chicken ?. Chilli was an absolute delight, not at all bothered about being at another new venue and a complete pro.

My OH (aka groom-in-training) came along and did regular video updates for his non-horsey family. Here’s a selection!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

McFluff

Visit site
Very tired after two days of competition. Glad we tried it as it showed that we need a bit more fitness to do all the tests justice. The prelims on the first day went well - starting to show much more consistency and better work. I’m learning to channel his energy and keep my leg on. The novice today was our first at BD, and I let him go flat and behind my leg. This is where our prelims were a couple of months ago, and I felt the judging was spot on, so good learning and lots to work on. Also enjoyed my stint of writing. All in all a good horse filled weekend.
Great to see so much going on, although healing vibes for those with bruises.

mavandkaz

Visit site
A very productive one here.
Xc lesson with coblet yesterday. I have bitten the bullet, and entered for my very first ever ODE in mid July. I've never been one for riding over fixed fences but coblet enjoys it and has given me the confidence to 'give it a go'. So off to new venue for us to practice stringing fences together and find a rhythm. She is awesome in that she couldn't care less about steps, water or ditches so no need to worry about those. I need to be more confident and ride her forward, rather then sending mixed messages. We had a couple of stops as I was not committed enough, or panicked about a slightly off stride - she's so honest and basically did exactly what I was unconsciously telling her. But also jumped some great lines over some 'technical' stuff.

Then had a Rider Physio session on the big guy. This was 15min ridden assessment, which pinpointed a couple of issues ( I was already aware, but wouldn't have been able to explain it). Then a 20min sport physio session. Then back on horse to see the results and make some improvements. Also used some bands to adjust posture.
Very interesting, will wait for the final report and videos. Not sure how it will help long term, but glad I did it.

Michen

Visit site
A very productive one here.
Xc lesson with coblet yesterday. I have bitten the bullet, and entered for my very first ever ODE in mid July. I've never been one for riding over fixed fences but coblet enjoys it and has given me the confidence to 'give it a go'. So off to new venue for us to practice stringing fences together and find a rhythm. She is awesome in that she couldn't care less about steps, water or ditches so no need to worry about those. I need to be more confident and ride her forward, rather then sending mixed messages. We had a couple of stops as I was not committed enough, or panicked about a slightly off stride - she's so honest and basically did exactly what I was unconsciously telling her. But also jumped some great lines over some 'technical' stuff.

Then had a Rider Physio session on the big guy. This was 15min ridden assessment, which pinpointed a couple of issues ( I was already aware, but wouldn't have been able to explain it). Then a 20min sport physio session. Then back on horse to see the results and make some improvements. Also used some bands to adjust posture.
Very interesting, will wait for the final report and videos. Not sure how it will help long term, but glad I did it.

Ahh yay! Exciting re ODE! Coblet is awesome I have no doubt you will fly round.

Belle can replace Bog as a pairs partner :D

Caol Ila

Visit site
Playing around with a new hackamore.

Made sure I had something resembling brakes and steering in the arena before we went on a short hack.

Then today, we used it in anger on a four-hour hack. This is the bit OH videoed.

Pippity

Visit site
I dragged Blue out to the local show and we did suitably abysmally. She'd come out of her stable full of the joys of spring, so I overdid the warm-up in self-defence, with the result that she went into her ridden class already a bit tired. When she's tired, she gets uncooperative, so our individual show was uninspiring. By the time the in-hand rolled around, we were both bored to tears and neither of us particularly wanted to be there. We got 5th and 6th, and weren't last, so it could have been worse, but she was extremely pleased to be home and lobbed back out into her field.

It definitely confirmed that, for me, showing is a social activity and I only enjoy it if I'm with a group of friends.

SEL

Visit site
Baby cob has had a week or so off ridden work because his bum shot up in the air and his coordination went to pot. Walked out in hand but yesterday I popped on to do the same short route we do in hand. Apparently everything is scary when your human is in top and we spooked all the way. Good points? He kept going forward every time I put my leg on and the people in our local village were lovely as we pranced past with me talking garbage to him and singing 20 green bottles. Children were kept under control, dogs put on leads - we must have looked terrifying ??

Big boy tried to eat an entire bag of carrots - still in the bag - and trashed the feedroom in his panic (& no, he wasn't supposed to be in there)

Microcob by comparison was an absolute saint and with the pollen levels lower knocked 20 mins off our hacking route time. If the pollen can go away now please I think we can find some longer routes.