Anatomical/ergonomic bridle

AUB

Visit site
I have a Finesse. Costs about a kidney, but I’m very happy with it (and more important, so is my sensitive mare).

Now I’m just contemplating selling my firstborn to be able to afford a double…

Cowpony

Visit site
I have a Silver Crown, which is lovely. Cut away ears, padded headpiece and noseband, and you can buy the parts separately. The leather is beautiful.

quizzie

Visit site
What about a quantum bridle? I've only heard about them and never used them though.

I have a quantum, for one of mine it has been a massive improvement….seems to keep the bit very still in the mouth, and the back pads are elasticated, so fit comfortably….simple cavesson…..and they do look a bit quirky!

Smooshy

Visit site
I have a Henry James saddlery bridle that I bought as separate parts . He is very sensitive and has a wonky poll, but likes the 3d headpiece. He no longer needs padding under the headpiece to make it more comfortable for him. I can then add any appropriate noseband as needed

Caol Ila

Visit site
The lack of a throatlash would worry me, looks as though a good shake would have it flying off.

Gypsum's bridle hasn't had a throatlatch for years. It broke and I didn't bother fixing it.

Torn between bridles like that one, with the flash-type strap in front of the bit, and the more traditional cavesson. I wonder if more support for the bit would help him. When he's not sure about something (he is quite green), he likes to open his mouth and throw his head.

Last edited:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
That’s why I asked. My instinctive aversion to flash-looking straps might be wrong. That’s the sort of thing that might actually be helpful for this horse.

Bear in mind as well that the issue with flashes is you've got 2 straps as it was designed for people who needed a cavesson to attached a standing martingale to but also wanted a drop nosebands. So being a compromise it doesn't do either job as well as the individual elements and being attached to the Cavesson the flash strap pulls on the Cavesson and doesn't sit where a drop would..

Worth trying to dig out the research Fairfax did on nosebands when they were designing bridles. Flashes came out bottom but Grackles were top followed by Drop noseband, Cavessons were only slightly better than flashes.

I've got a Micklem but I got in half price in a sale and my tb was difficult to fit in a traditional bridle, he has a very wide forehead, short head and little nose. I was mixing and matching from different bridles but it was an experiment before going down the made to measure route. The leather is not too bad but the noseband strap stretched slightly and was loose and he was happier when I then tightened it a hole, not tight but not dangling either.

ETA my previous tb who was in a traditional bridle hated a Cavesson and was much happier when I switched to a Drop.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
. do you know anyone with a bigger horse who could lend you a bigger browband to try just in case that is the only problem rather than spending a fortune on a new bridle

Caol Ila

Visit site
May have to buy one anyway! Gypsum's bridle is on the shortest cheekpiece holes, and while his head is probably wider, I can't imagine it's as long. She was 16.1hh half TB. The one his former owner is giving me is just a loan until I sort something out.

Caol Ila

Visit site
He will be getting Gypsum's saddle, which can be adjusted to fit anything, and all her grooming stuff. Poor lad deserves one non-secondhand thing!

That second one (https://www.kieffer.net/en/bridles/snaffle-bridles/326-isabella.html) looks fantastic! For Hermosa. She won't know what's coming when she finishes being a mum and goes back to work. I'm perverse enough to want to ride BD shows in that. Is it legal?

This one looks nice -- similar to a few others but less than £200.
https://www.ayrequestrian.com/gfs-premier-alpine-bridle

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I like the clip on throat lash on the GFS one.

Yes the baroque Kieffer would be ideal for Hermosa, no idea why I didn't think of it. She'd look amazing in it. :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
OMG! I love these baroque ones!

Do you think that this one could be used with a hackamore?
black-goldexquestia.gif

Oh rats... just noticed this 'fit full-size to small warmblood' so probably far too big for dinky headed gelding. :(

pennandh

Visit site
Like a lot of Highlands, he's really wide around his ears and forehead. I wonder if that's part of his issue with a standard bridle. And some horses are just sensitive.

Some of them, like the Comfitec, have a flash-type strap that sits in front of the bit. In principle, I'm against flashes, but does that arrangement actually help some horses?

I mean, if you were looking for a standard bridle that actually fits properly (which solves a multitude of sins), Native Pony Bridles do mix-and-match ones, and they have some very useful 'in between' sizes of nosebands/headpieces/etc. specifically for short, broad heads. I got my double from them. It wasn't cheap, admittedly, but it's Sedgewick leather, so it'll probably outlive me, and it's absolutely spot-on in terms of fit (admittedly, I ended up buying two slipheads, and using half the pony one and half the cob one, but that was the only bit I had to jury-rig slightly).

Plus, they sell laced reins that actually have thick enough lace to provide grip, which is something that's bizarrely hard to find these days.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
^think that's the one not currently BD legal due to lack of a backstrap on the noseband. just mentioning in case that's a concern for OP.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I love my micklem. Kia loved it it really helped with his poll issues and Faran has been bitted and will be backed and ridden in it at home until we see what we are up to

Caol Ila

Visit site
Tried the Alpine. The fit wasn’t right. The chin strap thing wouldn’t stay in the right place and even at its loosest, the strap under his jaw was too tight. The drop part of the nose and seemed more scrunched up than it is on the photos. This was a cob sized one.

Wrong style or wrong size?

CAFCFF43-384D-4DFE-BAAE-6EF86B684E48.jpeg

Attachments

• 9FEE2EA5-4E90-43A3-B050-20EDC0E4EEA4.jpeg
    9FEE2EA5-4E90-43A3-B050-20EDC0E4EEA4.jpeg
    927.4 KB · Views: 2