Anatomical/ergonomic bridle

Caol Ila

Visit site
I couldn’t move it up any further. It's on second to last. Which suggests that he needs full size rather than cob size?

Last edited:

NLPM

Visit site
I had a GFS Alpine a couple of years ago - thought it was lovely until a cheekpiece broke randomly during a ride! I rode the last mile or two home with the reins attached to the noseband. I sent it back, preceded by a rather long and possibly slightly ranty email :oops:

I presume I was just unlucky - never known that happen before! But it did put me off buying another.

Your boy looks beautiful (love his ears1) but I agree the fit isn't right. Full size might work, or a bridle you can mix and match elements?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Still at a loss. I rode him yesterday in a lunging cavesson meant for Hermosa, with reins clipped to the rings like a sidepull. It wasn't quite right fit-wise -- too tight around the headpiece -- but his steering was better in it than it was in a bit. But I'm not sure I'd have much control in a sidepull type thing if he got strong, and I would like him to learn to be more accepting of a bit. So I'm not sold on going bitless.

Not sure what to do. Exchange Alpine Bridle for the same one, just bigger? Try a different style, like a cavesson instead of a flash? Go bitless? It would be nice if they made sidepulls with a bit attachment that you could ride like a double bridle.

I feel so indecisive.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I often hack in a sidepull, but my horse doesn't get string. I've seen bitless set ups with 2 sets of reins, but not with a bit involved ?

I just go with a basic bridle. An nice shaped crown piece, suitable browband, and plain ol' noseband. Sometimes just have to keep it simple ?‍♀️

Plus, fitting bridles to my cob/horse sized animal is...annoying as it js. So I dare not get into the fancy anatomical stuff.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Have emailed Mary Wastie but still waiting for a response.

I tried him in Gypsum's bridle today, for sh1ts and giggles. It's full size, already on the last hole because she did not have the biggest head. The crown piece and browband fit him perfectly, but the cheekpieces were so comically long the bit was hardly in his mouth. So he's going to be weird. His head is too wide for your average cob size bridle, but too short for full size. Blah.

That Myler thing Hepsibah mentioned looks pretty cool.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I've got a full size PS of Sweden anatomical bridle for sale if you want one of those. The one you have looks like its never going to fit. The noseband is supposed to sit up underneath the cheekbone to avoid the facial nerves. I think when the PSOS bridle came out loads copied it, some work, some really do not!

Caol Ila

Visit site
I’d love to try it. Gypsum’s bridle is a 20 year old Keiffer (cost me 200 bucks… it was a nice bloody bridle) so sizing on other ones could be totally different.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I’d love to try it. Gypsum’s bridle is a 20 year old Keiffer (cost me 200 bucks… it was a nice bloody bridle) so sizing on other ones could be totally different.

Could you just buy some cob cheekpieces for the Kieffer, that's what I did for my tb who was similar. My bridle wasn't a Kieffer but a cheaper one and black but it had brass fittings so I paid extra to get them to match. Don't worry about a noseband for the moment.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I'll try I'm Dun's bridle and new cheek pieces on the Keiffer. They are only like a tenner, so might work for Hermosa further down the line.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think many horses need bespoke fitting in many styles, all of mine wear full or xf around the crown, cob nosebands and some have had pony cheeks. I have only used pony length reins for about 15 years ? hate having long loops flapping about

rextherobber

Visit site
Have emailed Mary Wastie but still waiting for a response.

I tried him in Gypsum's bridle today, for sh1ts and giggles. It's full size, already on the last hole because she did not have the biggest head. The crown piece and browband fit him perfectly, but the cheekpieces were so comically long the bit was hardly in his mouth. So he's going to be weird. His head is too wide for your average cob size bridle, but too short for full size. Blah.

That Myler thing Hepsibah mentioned looks pretty cool.
One of mine has a Shires bridle in full size but I have to swop to the cob size cheek pieces to get the right fit, the rest of the bridle is perfect!