Another British Horse Society c**k-up

whiteflower

Visit site
I've seen this on Facebook too and will be sending my proxy vote to Linda Blackett. Let's hope this gets seen by enough people as this thread is very long now ! Changes they are proposing are not good and I can only see it as a way to protect themselves further and keep themselves in control. Not the ethos of the organisation I joined many moons ago. Sad state things are now

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
The teensy envelope it was sent out in - along with the usual advertsiing stuff in British Horse - means a lot ofpeople didn't ind it and many of those teensy envelopes probably went in the bin. Not sure if HHO will like pdf files attached - but will try.

I literally read your post whilst drinking my morning tea and looked to my right and saw the envelope which you’re right I hadn’t even noticed.

SO1

Visit site
I did not see it, I must have thrown it out with the advertising

This should have been sent as a separate letter so people would be more likely to open it and not think it was junk mail...

They should have also sent an email as back up to let people know about the planned changes and give people time to respond, and offer a consultation rather than straight into a vote. There is no clear explanation about why they want to make the changes and how it will improve the Society. Really poor governance.

How can we find someone to go and vote as Proxy. Can our regional representatives do this, or is anyone offering for those members who cant get to the meeting

The teensy envelope it was sent out in - along with the usual advertsiing stuff in British Horse - means a lot ofpeople didn't ind it and many of those teensy envelopes probably went in the bin. Not sure if HHO will like pdf files attached - but will try.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
blimey yes it was tucked away wasn't it!

So technically if I tick against I don't have to appoint a proxy?

Why is Linda posting as Allan?

LisaMarie1984

New User
Visit site
I did not see it, I must have thrown it out with the advertising

This should have been sent as a separate letter so people would be more likely to open it and not think it was junk mail...

They should have also sent an email as back up to let people know about the planned changes and give people time to respond, and offer a consultation rather than straight into a vote. There is no clear explanation about why they want to make the changes and how it will improve the Society. Really poor governance.

How can we find someone to go and vote as Proxy. Can our regional representatives do this, or is anyone offering for those members who cant get to the meeting

Hi

I am the Regional Chairman for West Midlands and have said I am happy to act as a proxy for members in my region and further afield if required as i know some people are concerned about the weather and it would have to be pretty dire for me not to be able to get there.

I have emailed BHS today to check the date proxy votes are required as it states they need to be received 3 business days before the meeting. I have also asked if they can be tabled on the day as if there is bad weather people may not get there or if people should appoint a proxy and revoke on the day if they can attend.

Lisa

LisaMarie1984

New User
Visit site
but there is a tick box for and against on the proxy form? and if I don't appoint someone it goes to the chairman.
Yes you can leave blank and have as the chairman, but i you don't know which way you want to vote and want a proxy who votes on the day you need to appoint someone.

ester

Visit site
why would I leave it blank when it provides me with boxes to tick if I know which way I would vote.

The suggestion in the facebook post above is that if you do tick the box they won't be counted. Hence my first post saying technically ticking said box is all I should need to do.

honetpot

Visit site
blimey yes it was tucked away wasn't it!

So technically if I tick against I don't have to appoint a proxy?

Why is Linda posting as Allan?
No I am not posting as Allan. I have just found his FB post and copied on to here. It took me 30 mins to find so I thought other people may have the same problem.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
VERY IMPORTANT re PROXIES!

I’ve just read the proxy vote info, it says that the form needs to be received no later than three business days before the meeting so if people are sending them to another person and they are taking them on the day they won’t be valid! People need to be made aware and send to the office via recorded delivery or emailed with a read receipt Then send copy to selected proxy holder so she has proof and can check on the day.

ETA: The office is closed from Fri 21st until 2 Jan so they’d need to be in BEFORE Friday 21st - or they have the perfect excuse to exclude. And of course mail is slow before Christmas - so be quick.

Last edited:

fidleyspromise

Visit site
The PDFs that have been put here. Can we use that for voting and send to a proxy or do we need to have the original form from BHS? I can't remember if I've received my BHS Magazine yet and if so, the form will be long gone.

Edited: Just checked postbox and BHS Mag is there so I have my voting slip.

Last edited:

ester

Visit site
I'd think it be fine to send the PDF, it's exactly the same you fill in membership number etc.

Though there really should be an easier way of doing it in this day and age!

On the Hoof

Visit site
The address for proxy votes to be sent to BHS is:
Duncan Snook-General Meeting
The British Horse Society
Abbey Park
Stareton
Kenilworth
Warwickshire
CV8 2XZ

Or email the PDF to:
Generalmeeting@bhs.org.uk

Sorry but I don't know the real names of those agreeing to be proxy and who are attending. Can whoever is prepared to,do this pm me so that I can complete my form, I'll send copy of form back to you once completed.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Latest edition of British Horse, along with insignificant envelope containing details of the forthcoming General Meeting in amongst the flyers which head straight to recycling.

View attachment 27802

Page 5 of the mag waxes lyrical about the On the Move initiative (the very expensive vanity horsebox).

What an effing joke. My mag arrived and like many other recipicients I’m sure, the flyers, including details re EGM were chucked. Will not be renewing membership next year & disgusted at the obvious ploy by the BHS to keep things under the radar. Philip Green should get involved with the BHS, they appear to have a lot in common......

LisaMarie1984

New User
Visit site
The address for proxy votes to be sent to BHS is:
Duncan Snook-General Meeting
The British Horse Society
Abbey Park
Stareton
Kenilworth
Warwickshire
CV8 2XZ

Or email the PDF to:
Generalmeeting@bhs.org.uk

Sorry but I don't know the real names of those agreeing to be proxy and who are attending. Can whoever is prepared to,do this pm me so that I can complete my form, I'll send copy of form back to you once completed.

Hi

You can contact me on l.cowley@yahoo.co.uk

Lisa

SO1

Visit site
It appears you can email the proxy form "As an alternative to returning this hard-copy proxy form, you can appoint a proxy electronically by emailing generalmeeting@bhs.org.uk attaching this proxy form. For an electronic proxy appointment to be valid, your appointment must be received by the Company no later three business days before the date of the meeting"

Do you think this is a bit risky emailing it as they might not receive it?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
It appears you can email the proxy form "As an alternative to returning this hard-copy proxy form, you can appoint a proxy electronically by emailing generalmeeting@bhs.org.uk attaching this proxy form. For an electronic proxy appointment to be valid, your appointment must be received by the Company no later three business days before the date of the meeting"

Do you think this is a bit risky emailing it as they might not receive it?

I don't know of any e-mail program that doesn't give you the opportunity to request a receipt - received and/or read.

SO1

Visit site
Do people think there is a conflict of interest if the Chair is the main proxy for people who don't know anyone going to meeting as that person will be affected by the vote? It would be so much easier if I could just tick the box that says no and get the Chair to be proxy but from what people are saying he might not honest? If this is really the case they should be reported to the Charity Commission.

Chica

Visit site
Hi Everyone this is my first ever post on any forum . I have however been following this thread for a while and have been very concerned regarding the contents . Finally I can no longer contain myself . I'm totally livid that I have been taken for a fool and have fallen for the cunning plan . I have thrown my envelope out with the advertising as it appears was intended . However thanks to this forum I will retrieve it in the morning. Mind you I'm now starting to think I will go to the meeting as my sadness of what appears to be happening to the BHS is growing . I have been a member for well over 20 years and it's true to say that I'm loosing faith rapidly .