Another British Horse Society c**k-up

GHamlet75

Visit site
This does not surprise me. Each employee is a member so the CE will be relying on these votes to get the proposed changes passed. Therefore please keep spreading the word everyone. The British Horse Society needs genuine votes to decide it's future

teapot

Visit site
And the BHS had another mention in H&H this week - thanks to Pammy Hutton FBHS. Seems the Fellows are not too amused by changes to the education system either - see Lost Language.

View attachment 28291

I work in the industry and have not heard one person refer to level x anything, they're still referred to as the stage exams or the original qualification name. I deal with two big where to train centres reguluarly, including BHSIs and FBHS, and not one person has used the word level - bit of careful editing there methinks. Also Pammy Hutton was very pro the changes when they first came out.

I've had two emails regarding the AGM!

Chica

Visit site
I don't trust this organisation any more . I have heard too much and now think it is bad to the core . Yes I know there are excellent staff at the coal face doing some brilliant work for horses and owners but the leadership appears to be ineffective and inappropriate . I have been reading all sorts about staff bullying and high numbers of pay offs and sackings and this is well known to be clear signs of a sick workplace . These types of environments bread mistrust and very poor outputs and outcomes . Add this to poor decisions ( in my view) regarding spending of the charities funds eg horse box and horse puppet thing and of course the crazy cost of pay offs and failed tribunals , then you have a huge amount of wasted charitable funds and staff who will be generally underperforming . I work in Local Authority Childrens Services and have done for 27 years it is a very stressful and risky environment due to the nature of the work . Good leadership is essential and I have seen both the very good and the very bad. The work is totally different and much more manageable and achievable under inspiring, strong, focused and knowledgable leadership . BHS need leadership fit for purpose now or it will fold as I for one have decided not to renew my membership unless I can see a significant change at the top . I mean not just one but several replacements with people who understand inspirational and outcomes based leadership , people who really care about horses owners and members . It is clear that for what ever reason thier has been no effective intervention from the board and no challenge from any of the senior staff ( and I understand it is a very top heavy organisation with lots of bosses all payed very well !) . I really hope my vote does count but like many others I also doubt this . Very sad state of affairs .

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I don't trust this organisation any more . I have heard too much and now think it is bad to the core . Yes I know there are excellent staff at the coal face doing some brilliant work for horses and owners but the leadership appears to be ineffective and inappropriate . I have been reading all sorts about staff bullying and high numbers of pay offs and sackings and this is well known to be clear signs of a sick workplace . These types of environments bread mistrust and very poor outputs and outcomes . Add this to poor decisions ( in my view) regarding spending of the charities funds eg horse box and horse puppet thing and of course the crazy cost of pay offs and failed tribunals , then you have a huge amount of wasted charitable funds and staff who will be generally underperforming . I work in Local Authority Childrens Services and have done for 27 years it is a very stressful and risky environment due to the nature of the work . Good leadership is essential and I have seen both the very good and the very bad. The work is totally different and much more manageable and achievable under inspiring, strong, focused and knowledgable leadership . BHS need leadership fit for purpose now or it will fold as I for one have decided not to renew my membership unless I can see a significant change at the top . I mean not just one but several replacements with people who understand inspirational and outcomes based leadership , people who really care about horses owners and members . It is clear that for what ever reason thier has been no effective intervention from the board and no challenge from any of the senior staff ( and I understand it is a very top heavy organisation with lots of bosses all payed very well !) . I really hope my vote does count but like many others I also doubt this . Very sad state of affairs .

So well said that it needs bringing to the top of the pile. The senior staff don't intervene because they want to keep their jobs - or get promoted further. I hope the meeting venue proves to be inadequate for the numbers!

honetpot

Visit site
I the last few weeks I have done a fair bit of research on the BHS from information freely available on the internet, web sites, companies house, minutes of meetings, AGM etc. This was just to work out what was going on.

I am a great thinker while I muck out.
Last night on the forum, about 01.00 in the morning the BHS was running an ad on here for membership, top and side. No idea what that costs, but the main thrust of the advert was to join because of the membership benefits.
The charitable work of the BHS was hardly mentioned, bottom line.

They lost about £600,000 on last years accounts and the only way they can cover this is new members, that where they get most of there income from. Membership targets not only raise money but they are quantifiable, they are always going on how they have more members, if you are building a CV, it looks good.
What they are not good at is lot more difficult to quantify. Poor management, losing the confidence of members, poor choices on how the money is spent. The main thing I think there is less focus on the charitable work of the society, which is how it gained its charitable status with all its tax benefits. If it was a normal business they would be up .....creek, hence China. Business see China as an untapped cash cow.

For what ever reason the management has withdrawn to a point where they see they are in the business of raising money from membership, and seem to have no other focus. I would imagine anyone who has a different point of view will not fit. Their argument is we have to raise money to spend money, but when they increase bridleways groups insurance to clear ROW,s which is for everyone's benefit, and a charitable aim. It makes you think, what are their priorities?

So for anyone reading this and thinks its a storm in a teacup. Yes, it may seem a fuss about nothing, but they are spending money you gave them on things that really do not promote education and welfare. They are not enabling volunteers to help others and providing support and managing to marginalise anyone who does not tow the line, so they resign.

So if you are a member just for the insurance, some services of the BHS are available on your house insurance, how do you want your money spent and how do you want to be treated? If its going to be like the RAC and just a service, you want more for your money. If you want to improve horse welfare, do you want more of that?

So Happy New Year, and lets hope we get a new broom for 2019, to sweep out the corners and not just a coat of shiny very expensive red paint,

honetpot

Visit site

PAK

Visit site
So I asked for an agenda for the EGM. Its seems this is it.

Thank you for confirming your attendance at the general meeting.

All the information is contained within the attachment or in the following link to the BHS website.

https://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/press-centre/news/2018/december/announcement-of-general-meeting

The formal general meeting has one proposal regarding the constitution – and will be followed by the annual members meeting.

Cart before horse?
When did this become "the annual members meeting"?

PAK

Visit site
Interesting. I have a notification set on this forum to let me know when someone has added to the thread. It is now operating with a significant delay!

PAK

Visit site
I the last few weeks I have done a fair bit of research on the BHS from information freely available on the internet, web sites, companies house, minutes of meetings, AGM etc. This was just to work out what was going on.

I am a great thinker while I muck out.
Last night on the forum, about 01.00 in the morning the BHS was running an ad on here for membership, top and side. No idea what that costs, but the main thrust of the advert was to join because of the membership benefits.
The charitable work of the BHS was hardly mentioned, bottom line.

They lost about £600,000 on last years accounts and the only way they can cover this is new members, that where they get most of there income from. Membership targets not only raise money but they are quantifiable, they are always going on how they have more members, if you are building a CV, it looks good.
What they are not good at is lot more difficult to quantify. Poor management, losing the confidence of members, poor choices on how the money is spent. The main thing I think there is less focus on the charitable work of the society, which is how it gained its charitable status with all its tax benefits. If it was a normal business they would be up .....creek, hence China. Business see China as an untapped cash cow.

For what ever reason the management has withdrawn to a point where they see they are in the business of raising money from membership, and seem to have no other focus. I would imagine anyone who has a different point of view will not fit. Their argument is we have to raise money to spend money, but when they increase bridleways groups insurance to clear ROW,s which is for everyone's benefit, and a charitable aim. It makes you think, what are their priorities?

So for anyone reading this and thinks its a storm in a teacup. Yes, it may seem a fuss about nothing, but they are spending money you gave them on things that really do not promote education and welfare. They are not enabling volunteers to help others and providing support and managing to marginalise anyone who does not tow the line, so they resign.

So if you are a member just for the insurance, some services of the BHS are available on your house insurance, how do you want your money spent and how do you want to be treated? If its going to be like the RAC and just a service, you want more for your money. If you want to improve horse welfare, do you want more of that?

So Happy New Year, and lets hope we get a new broom for 2019, to sweep out the corners and not just a coat of shiny very expensive red paint,
Sorry - the notification alert I had set on this thread seems to have developed a significant delay. Well said, honetpt. I agree. This is much more than a tempest in tea. Members are taking over the reins.

PAK

Visit site
This does not surprise me. Each employee is a member so the CE will be relying on these votes to get the proposed changes passed. Therefore please keep spreading the word everyone. The British Horse Society needs genuine votes to decide it's future
Yes, every employee may be a member but the membership fee is paid for by the organisation. As such, these votes should not be counted as valid. Keep your eyes and ears open members!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Yes, every employee may be a member but the membership fee is paid for by the organisation. As such, these votes should not be counted as valid. Keep your eyes and ears open members!

Is that correct. PAK? Certainly wasn't the case in my day. And it damn well shouldn't be now!! Tomorrow is the day - let's hope there is a good turnout.

GHamlet75

Visit site
Wishing all of us good luck for tomorrow's meeting. Regardless of what happens - thanks to those that have taken the time to vote by proxy or in person.

To quote Thurgood Marshall: Where you see wrong or inequality or injustice, speak out, because this is your country. This is your democracy. Make it. Protect it. Pass it on.

PAK

Visit site
Wishing all of us good luck for tomorrow's meeting. Regardless of what happens - thanks to those that have taken the time to vote by proxy or in person.

To quote Thurgood Marshall: Where you see wrong or inequality or injustice, speak out, because this is your country. This is your democracy. Make it. Protect it. Pass it on.
Well said & great quote.

Chica

Visit site
Off to the meeting in the morning . Can't wait to hear the board taking responsibility for the catalogue of neglect , wasteful and outdated management and dodgey HR processes . I wonder if they will try to fool us with well prepared spin or if they will actually listen . It will be very interesting . If nothing else I get to make my vote in person . Look forward to seeing a few of you there .

PAK

Visit site
Good morning Chica! Today is the day. So good that you are going to be there. I can not be there sadly. Would like to have meet so many people I have "met" here. Raise your voice. My voice and my vote will be carried by my proxy and others. We must save our BHS. The Chair, Board, and CEO have shown us their true colours for long enough. Thankfully BHS has been strong enough not to perish all together. Vote of no confidence! Act now before the Charities Commission does and the "catalog" hits the press.

onemoretime

Visit site
Off to the meeting in the morning . Can't wait to hear the board taking responsibility for the catalogue of neglect , wasteful and outdated management and dodgey HR processes . I wonder if they will try to fool us with well prepared spin or if they will actually listen . It will be very interesting . If nothing else I get to make my vote in person . Look forward to seeing a few of you there .
Do let us know how it goes Chica I wish I could get up there.

onemoretime

Visit site
Good morning Chica! Today is the day. So good that you are going to be there. I can not be there sadly. Would like to have meet so many people I have "met" here. Raise your voice. My voice and my vote will be carried by my proxy and others. We must save our BHS. The Chair, Board, and CEO have shown us their true colours for long enough. Thankfully BHS has been strong enough not to perish all together. Vote of no confidence! Act now before the Charities Commission does and the "catalog" hits the press.
Has anyone contacted the Charity Commissions?

Reactions: PAK

Velcrobum

Visit site
Just back from the meeting and there was a curve ball thrown by a former board member. He called for a vote in the room to adjourn the meeting that would allow the "big" vote to go ahead. This was so the trustees could have the chance to reformulate the changes into separate parts as it was pointed out that some of the changes everyone agreed with but others were not. This was voted via a ballot and carried. This means there will be a new vote held in the future when everybody gets a chance to vote without the deadlines imposed on the original vote by Christmas and New Year. Now the bombshell!! at the start of the meeting a document calling for an EGM was handed in. It is a vote of no confidence and has to be held within 21 days so that has to happen first before changes to the constitution can be considered. The meeting was filmed and recorded so it is available to the wider membership if interested.

honetpot

Visit site
Hi just back.
Edited highlights.
The meeting for the vote was adjourned. There was a secret ballot and the feeling in the room was there needed to more clarification by The Trust Board, and there were too many issues coved in the changes. Some things may have been changed since it was first proposed and something's thought to have been agreed were not included in the changes. I know muddled.
There was a call for an EGM at the start of the meeting, so that will now go forward. Although there were only 12 signatures needed there was a lot of support in the room for this.
We then had a presentation of the strategic plan, which raised even more questions from the floor.
It ended because we ran out of time.
I did not take notes but I will try and write some thoughts later when its still fresh in my mind.

onemoretime

Visit site
Just back from the meeting and there was a curve ball thrown by a former board member. He called for a vote in the room to adjourn the meeting that would allow the "big" vote to go ahead. This was so the trustees could have the chance to reformulate the changes into separate parts as it was pointed out that some of the changes everyone agreed with but others were not. This was voted via a ballot and carried. This means there will be a new vote held in the future when everybody gets a chance to vote without the deadlines imposed on the original vote by Christmas and New Year. Now the bombshell!! at the start of the meeting a document calling for an EGM was handed in. It is a vote of no confidence and has to be held within 21 days so that has to happen first before changes to the constitution can be considered. The meeting was filmed and recorded so it is available to the wider membership if interested.

Well that sounds promising at least!

Reactions: PAK

PAK

Visit site
Thank you for the news. I had a short message but am awaiting a longer call. Look forward to your notes.
A secret ballot? What permitted that?

Velcrobum

Visit site
I should also say that there were many ex trustees in the room which was standing room only and many valid criticisms were made. I hope the trustees takes them all on board and modifies the proposals into seperate portable sections. Apparently the current constitution does not allow meeting notices to be published in the magazine and this is one of the things they want to change. It was pointed out that the information being given to the floor today was considerably more detailed than the information in that small white unlabeled envelope that many put in the recycling!!!!!