Another British Horse Society c**k-up

honetpot

Visit site
The treasurer was not there to take questions? Did anyone raise this point?
The whole thing ran like a car crash.
There was the presentation, The Strategic plan summary, which raised more questions. The CEO had some input in the this but a Broad member I think did most of the presentation
As there was no agenda for the AGM, we just kept asking questions, until the Chairman called time. I did feel a bit sorry for him because he obviously had no idea how to chair a meeting of this size. There were no conclusions or objectives raised, and no one was asked to report back on anything at the AGM for the EGM.
As I said in another comment, about changes in the constitution, this information should have all been given out before hand, any questions asked and feedback given before people were asked to vote on changes in voting people on to the Trust Board. That this had not been done was accepted as, 'something to look at' And they wonder why people are suspicious?
There was no detailed discussion of the budget. The bus was mentioned in passing but not directly.
There will be another opportunity at the EGM, which I think everyone should try and make an effort to go to and raise these issues in a concise way with no wiggle room.

PAK

Visit site
The whole thing ran like a car crash.
There was the presentation, The Strategic plan summary, which raised more questions. The CEO had some input in the this but a Broad member I think did most of the presentation
As there was no agenda for the AGM, we just kept asking questions, until the Chairman called time. I did feel a bit sorry for him because he obviously had no idea how to chair a meeting of this size. There were no conclusions or objectives raised, and no one was asked to report back on anything at the AGM for the EGM.
As I said in another comment, about changes in the constitution, this information should have all been given out before hand, any questions asked and feedback given before people were asked to vote on changes in voting people on to the Trust Board. That this had not been done was accepted as, 'something to look at' And they wonder why people are suspicious?
There was no detailed discussion of the budget. The bus was mentioned in passing but not directly.
There will be another opportunity at the EGM, which I think everyone should try and make an effort to go to and raise these issues in a concise way with no wiggle room.
Sounds like an unnecessary mess. Planning and chairing a meeting is not rocket science.
From what I read elsewhere, the motion for the EGM was withdrawn so there will not be another meeting.

honetpot

Visit site
There is no change in the constitution, the vote was deferred, for the Board to separate out and possibly change the wording.
An EGM was called and supported by many members there, so they have 21 days to sort that. Happy days.

Velcrobum

Visit site
You and many others! Of course, the CE/Chair will be delighted - gives them a chance to get the changes through and make itnecessary to get 200 signatures!!
Probably 300 signatures however it was confirmed it did not have to be a single piece of paper but could be a document comprised of numerous pieces of paper stapled together.

Reactions: PAK

PAK

Visit site
There is no change in the constitution, the vote was deferred, for the Board to separate out and possibly change the wording.
An EGM was called and supported by many members there, so they have 21 days to sort that. Happy days.
Anyone got the film?

PAK

Visit site
Probably 300 signatures however it was confirmed it did not have to be a single piece of paper but could be a document comprised of numerous pieces of paper stapled together.
Well at the moment it is still only 12. Time to create a new one - if indeed the last one was withdrawn.

honetpot

Visit site
Before I left there was no mention of the EGM being cancelled, and with the support in the room, another 12 could be easily found, so it would be improductive to withdraw it.
A lot of questions could not be asked because we ran out of time and the finances are a big issue which has not been examined.

Chica

Visit site
Do you know that a senior member of staff said out loud at the meeting for us all to hear that she believed that the business of the BHS was more complex than that of Local Authority Childrens Services and Adoption Services . In fact she changed it to fostering children stating there is only 2 objectives in this work and many more in BHS and so the BHS needed more highly paid directors than an LA Children's Service which is the same size as the BHS . It was so wildly outrageous I could only gasp and heckle I could not offer a succinct suitable response . To be honest I don't think I needed to . The madness of it was not lost on many in the room . Children's Safeguarding and Adoption Services are extremely complex and governed by a lot of different pieces of legislation regulation and guidance . Is ethically very challenging for all concerned and as such matters often end up in the high court and involves high risk situations and making long term irreversible decisions about children lives . Decisions in relation to families and overall very high challenge . I was livid and I will never forget these comments which were said by a member of staff who appeared today to be highly regarded by the CEO . This was all in aide of defending the over inflated numbers of highly paid Directors in a question that was effectively about spending money wisely . In fact I was stating my concern that the New Strategy did not have the notion of spending money wisely mentioned anywhere within or any sense of accountability with regard to spending of hard earned charitable funds.

PAK

Visit site
Before I left there was no mention of the EGM being cancelled, and with the support in the room, another 12 could be easily found, so it would be improductive to withdraw it.
A lot of questions could not be asked because we ran out of time and the finances are a big issue which has not been examined.
I hope that you are correct and that the motion for EGM still is in play.

PAK

Visit site
Do you know that a senior member of staff said out loud at the meeting for us all to hear that she believed that the business of the BHS was more complex than that of Local Authority Childrens Services and Adoption Services . In fact she changed it to fostering children stating there is only 2 objectives in this work and many more in BHS and so the BHS needed more highly paid directors than an LA Children's Service which is the same size as the BHS . It was so wildly outrageous I could only gasp and heckle I could not offer a succinct suitable response . To be honest I don't think I needed to . The madness of it was not lost on many in the room . Children's Safeguarding and Adoption Services are extremely complex and governed by a lot of different pieces of legislation regulation and guidance . Is ethically very challenging for all concerned and as such matters often end up in the high court and involves high risk situations and making long term irreversible decisions about children lives . Decisions in relation to families and overall very high challenge . I was livid and I will never forget these comments which were said by a member of staff who appeared today to be highly regarded by the CEO . This was all in aide of defending the over inflated numbers of highly paid Directors in a question that was effectively about spending money wisely . In fact I was stating my concern that the New Strategy did not have the notion of spending money wisely mentioned anywhere within or any sense of accountability with regard to spending of hard earned charitable funds.
What an outrageous statement! Number of objectives is no simple guide to complexity.

PAK

Visit site
I really hope you are right I might have misunderstood . How do we find out for sure ?
In my opinion, not worth the effort. Red herring. This was a large part of my professional background. The assertion made is nonsense.

honetpot

Visit site
Well we get our 12 sigs together, and if there is any move to with draw it we send it in. The mood I felt was the were many financial issue that were not even touched on that people felt needed to be explored. A whole meeting in its self.
For anyone interested I will copy what I was given and send it by email. The information contained was derisory and not worthy of an organisation with 11m turnover.

PAK

Visit site
Well we get our 12 sigs together, and if there is any move to with draw it we send it in. The mood I felt was the were many financial issue that were not even touched on that people felt needed to be explored. A whole meeting in its self.
For anyone interested I will copy what I was given and send it by email. The information contained was derisory and not worthy of an organisation with 11m turnover.
Yes, I would like a copy. And if the motion was withdrawn, I support creating a new one.

honetpot

Visit site
I was meaning how do we find out for sure if the EGM is withdrawn. And if It has been can we get it reinstated .
I would email them, then there is a paper trial and find who put it in. There is perhaps a difficulty because they have to rearrange the vote on the constitutional changes and whether they have to totally redo it.
I think if the EGM goes a head with a vote of no confidence then, 'it squeezes the blackhead'

PAK

Visit site
I would email them, then there is a paper trial and find who put it in. There is perhaps a difficulty because they have to rearrange the vote on the constitutional changes and whether they have to totally redo it.
I think if the EGM goes a head with a vote of no confidence then, 'it squeezes the blackhead'
Good idea. Shall we all do that?

honetpot

Visit site
And yet the comments about all the "social media" -

I do remember one lady in the audience that had very harsh opinions about the membership and the fact that many did not attend AGM's. The idea of engaging the membership and informing them seemed a very alien concept, so they might want to go to the AGM.
I think for anyone who does not live locally and has animals trekking to this meeting was a huge commitment and I am seriously impressed. We all know what winter with horses is like, so by the time you have arranged sitters, travel and perhaps overnight accommodation any one who didn't go was not showing lack interest.

PAK

Visit site
I do remember one lady in the audience that had very harsh opinions about the membership and the fact that many did not attend AGM's. The idea of engaging the membership and informing them seemed a very alien concept, so they might want to go to the AGM.
I think for anyone who does not live locally and has animals trekking to this meeting was a huge commitment and I am seriously impressed. We all know what winter with horses is like, so by the time you have arranged sitters, travel and perhaps overnight accommodation any one who didn't go was not showing lack interest.
A weak rationale for not respecting or including members or running an organisation in a transparent manner

onemoretime

Visit site

Im more than happy to sign. Please let me know what I need to do, Im a Gold Member.

honetpot

Visit site
There were so many things covered in the meeting, it hard to take it all in.

One of the points raised was the lack of ability for local reps to contact members, and that all communication had to go the Regional Office. The reasoning for this was compliance with GDPR, and lack of secure computers do hold email addresses at local level. Although on the face of it this sounds plausible, they spent £1.4m pounds on IT last year, and I was assured the computer system was now working well, it seems a strange reason.
Having spent that amount of money on IT I can not believe that they can not set up a system where you can opt in and out of various email alerts for various interests and groups, such as Google io https://groups.io/,

On this thought I was thinking of setting up a BHS members resource group, as at the moment our information is poorly disseminated, and BHS management for various reasons is unlikely for to want use to disseminate information with the membership list they have.
I do only have basic social media skills, so would anyone be interested in this project or have any other suggestions.

Art Nouveau

Visit site
There were so many things covered in the meeting, it hard to take it all in.

One of the points raised was the lack of ability for local reps to contact members, and that all communication had to go the Regional Office. The reasoning for this was compliance with GDPR, and lack of secure computers do hold email addresses at local level. Although on the face of it this sounds plausible, they spent £1.4m pounds on IT last year, and I was assured the computer system was now working well, it seems a strange reason.
Having spent that amount of money on IT I can not believe that they can not set up a system where you can opt in and out of various email alerts for various interests and groups, such as Google io https://groups.io/,

On this thought I was thinking of setting up a BHS members resource group, as at the moment our information is poorly disseminated, and BHS management for various reasons is unlikely for to want use to disseminate information with the membership list they have.
I do only have basic social media skills, so would anyone be interested in this project or have any other suggestions.

I'm a regional volunteer co-ordinator for a national charity. Every month we get a password protected Excel spreadsheet with the contact details of the regional members who have opted to be contacted by their regional volunteer. We then have to delete the old ones. We are a small charity so perhaps this wouldn't work for one the size of the BHS but there must be some way to make it work.