Another British Horse Society c**k-up

PAK

Visit site
I'm a regional volunteer co-ordinator for a national charity. Every month we get a password protected Excel spreadsheet with the contact details of the regional members who have opted to be contacted by their regional volunteer. We then have to delete the old ones. We are a small charity so perhaps this wouldn't work for one the size of the BHS but there must be some way to make it work.
Yes, there are many ways to do this.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Can anyone point me to where all the BHS managers/Department Heads are listed as for the life of I cannot find this info on the Website!!

Reactions: PAK

Velcrobum

Visit site
On BHS site, go to Home, Contact Us, Department Contact Information
Found that page but all I get is a list of departments no actual names. Perhaps because I am using a Kindle. Will try again when I have access to a proper computer.

Reactions: PAK

Karen 71

Visit site
I've just sussed no treasurer report at the meeting! Surely the whole point is to be able to question where money is being spent? The second lorry through SEIB was grant funded up to £50,000 but I have been told it cost far more than that to kit it out with "extras" to get it to the standard the CEO demanded. So if this is true I want too see in black and white the full cost of both lorries together with running and maintenance and wage costs. Did the main person really leave before he could be asked questions. Oh my goodness what a shambles.

PAK

Visit site
I've just sussed no treasurer report at the meeting! Surely the whole point is to be able to question where money is being spent? The second lorry through SEIB was grant funded up to £50,000 but I have been told it cost far more than that to kit it out with "extras" to get it to the standard the CEO demanded. So if this is true I want too see in black and white the full cost of both lorries together with running and maintenance and wage costs. Did the main person really leave before he could be asked questions. Oh my goodness what a shambles.
As I understand it, there was no presentation of the accounts nor treasurer available to answer questions. The question of the full cost of the lorry was raised but not answered.

Velcrobum

Visit site
As I understand it, there was no presentation of the accounts nor treasurer available to answer questions. The question of the full cost of the lorry was raised but not answered.
The treasurer was present for the "sales pitch" of the proposed changes and the result of the ballot then slipped out the side door. He was absent from the members meeting.

Karen 71

Visit site
You can bet the CEO wanted him out of the room, after all he would certainly have a job justifying the current regime's expenditure of late. Beggars belief what they are getting away with. Do you think Martin Clunes has any idea what's going on and would he still want to be associated if he knew.

PAK

Visit site
You can bet the CEO wanted him out of the room, after all he would certainly have a job justifying the current regime's expenditure of late. Beggars belief what they are getting away with. Do you think Martin Clunes has any idea what's going on and would he still want to be associated if he knew.
I imagine that Clunes is not aware; nor is HM QE the patron or the Princess Royal. At least we ignorant members are in good company.

honetpot

Visit site
Please join our facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/membersBHS/about/

Its not for slagging people off, or personal attacks, its for exchange of information, a central point for public documents that maybe you would like to see. So that you can form your own opinion.

We are also looking for insights in to why the focus appears to have changed. I am trying to obtain a full copy of the BHS Strategic Plan
The BHS Trust Board are not communicating with members, so we are trying to fill the gap.
It was apparent from the meeting that a lot of the members there, that they and the members they represented been unhappy for a while in how the BHS treats its membership.
You may have that piece of information that helps for the picture of how this happened. Even if you are non BHS member you may have insights in accounts, and previous work with charities, including sports and animal charities,could give ideas for best practice.

Last edited:

Palomino Dream

New User
Visit site
Please join our facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/membersBHS/about/

Its not for slagging people off, or personal attacks, its for exchange of information, a central point for public documents that maybe you would like to see. So that you can form your own opinion.

We are also looking for insights in to why the focus appears to have changed. I am trying to obtain a full copy of the BHS Strategic Plan
The BHS Trust Board are not communicating with members, so we are trying to fill the gap.
It was apparent from the meeting that a lot of the members there, that they and the members they represented been unhappy for a while in how the BHS treats its membership.
You may have that piece of information that helps for the picture of how this happened. Even if you are non BHS member you may have insights in accounts, and previous work with charities, including sports and animal charities,could give ideas for best practice.
I was at the meeting and heard that the BHS now has over 104,000 members. How on earth can the BHS please all of the members all of the time? It seems to me that people are very happy to join in the slagging off rather than seek an alternative point of view. There was some very unpleasant behaviour from some attendees and it seemed VERY personal and self serving to me. I want to hear the other side of the debate and am pleased to read that you don't support personal attacks or the slagging off that I witnessed by some members at the meeting.

Velcrobum

Visit site
In today's H&H there are 2 letters from Islay Auth FBHS and Andrew Downes FBHS supporting Pammy Hutton's views aired last week. All are saying please BHS and BD listen to your membership as they have a vast wealth of knowledge and also listen to those who have been around a long time who understand why and how things have evolved in a certain way.

PAK

Visit site
I was at the meeting and heard that the BHS now has over 104,000 members. How on earth can the BHS please all of the members all of the time? It seems to me that people are very happy to join in the slagging off rather than seek an alternative point of view. There was some very unpleasant behaviour from some attendees and it seemed VERY personal and self serving to me. I want to hear the other side of the debate and am pleased to read that you don't support personal attacks or the slagging off that I witnessed by some members at the meeting.
I don't think this is about pleasing all of the members all of the time. Let's stick to the facts; asking & answering questions respectfully. This is a membership based organisation. 101 members gathered, despite at a difficult time of year to meet, and legitimate questions were raised. They remain unanswered.

PAK

Visit site
From the source of the petition -
With regard to the call for an EGM delivered to the CEO of the BHS on the morning of Saturday 5th Jan 2019, an EGM can only deal with the subject matter, in this case "Loss of confidence in the Chairman and Board of Trustees of the BHS" no other subject matter can be included or discussed. In order to allow for thorough questions a general meeting would have to be held after the EGM. The decision of the group who tabled the summons was to withdraw the EGM covenant as it was felt that with at least 2 meetings in the offing it could lead to voter fatigue and loss of support. The BHS resolution has been adjourned, consequently any 12 members of the BHS can still table another EGM with specific proposals at any time until the resolution is carried.

Chica

Visit site
The great thing about a debate is that it has two sides and I was pleased that there was another Voice represented at the meeting and hopefully ongoing on the Facebook page . However what I heard at the meeting was passionate and determined questioning which was trying to get to the truth and to stir the board to accept that it needs to start to listen to its members . I also heard some of those in favour of the changes get a bit hot under the collar and for me that is not a bad thing it is Passion and if we can't be so about our love of horses then it is a bad job . As I said in an earlier post the board need to put a lot more focus into genuine engagement rather than to discredit those who speak out .

PAK

Visit site
The great thing about a debate is that it has two sides and I was pleased that there was another Voice represented at the meeting and hopefully ongoing on the Facebook page . However what I heard at the meeting was passionate and determined questioning which was trying to get to the truth and to stir the board to accept that it needs to start to listen to its members . I also heard some of those in favour of the changes get a bit hot under the collar and for me that is not a bad thing it is Passion and if we can't be so about our love of horses then it is a bad job . As I said in an earlier post the board need to put a lot more focus into genuine engagement rather than to discredit those who speak out .
Thank you Chica. Would you be able to share a specific point/question that was raised and needs to be answered? Or something that was not "positive"?

Chica

Visit site
The CEO made a plea to those present before the vote talking as if she was some sort of a victim something along the lines of how can people here present not think that I have best interest of horses an the BHS at my heart and how she is so dedicated to Britain and the BHS . Some people might have found this inspiring but I was not one of those . I found it worrying and unprofessional. Financial questions were not answered orcat best only partly answered . More examples will follow .

PAK

Visit site
The CEO made a plea to those present before the vote talking as if she was some sort of a victim something along the lines of how can people here present not think that I have best interest of horses an the BHS at my heart and how she is so dedicated to Britain and the BHS . Some people might have found this inspiring but I was not one of those . I found it worrying and unprofessional. Financial questions were not answered orcat best only partly answered . More examples will follow .
Thank you for these specific examples.

Velcrobum

Visit site
The CEO's little speech was embarrassing and IMHO melodramatic. She certainly to my perspective was playing a victim. There were many ex board members in the room who were obviously concerned about the way BHS is going. It was an ex board member who called for an adjournment of the vote citing the relevant part of the articles. This led to a hurried pause in proceedings to check the articles for verification. I sincerely hope that the board and chair have properly listened to the concerns raised which IMHO were valid and reasoned.

PAK

Visit site
The CEO's little speech was embarrassing and IMHO melodramatic. She certainly to my perspective was playing a victim. There were many ex board members in the room who were obviously concerned about the way BHS is going. It was an ex board member who called for an adjournment of the vote citing the relevant part of the articles. This led to a hurried pause in proceedings to check the articles for verification. I sincerely hope that the board and chair have properly listened to the concerns raised which IMHO were valid and reasoned.
You are more of an optimist than I am. Yesterday's email about the positive meeting is yet another sign, imo, that they are not listening.

PAK

Visit site
I have not received any minutes yet. Has anyone?

"Thank you for your enquiry requesting further clarity on some of the topics discussed in the General Meeting of the British Horse Society held on Saturday 5 January. Notes from the meeting will be made available by close of business on Friday 11 January. If these notes do not answer your query then please emailgeneralmeeting@bhs.org.uk

Best wishes

Sarah (Phillips) COO"
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/bhs-meeting-update.771333/page-3#Uwi2ck5HD3YZGOp2.99

Violettears

Visit site

Violettears

Visit site
Hello everyone, I have been following all this.. been a bhs member for a long time and i find it bad that it seems to be a few individuals who want to spoil all the good work that bhs does... and not talk about that in the last few years they have gone right up in my opinion. A friend of mine was at the meeting and told me that it was just a few individuals who had a personal agenda. It’s got far too personal if you ask me. Come on you lot, there are over 100,000 members allegedly, that’s a lot of horsey people who think bhs do good!

PAK

Visit site
Hello everyone, I have been following all this.. been a bhs member for a long time and i find it bad that it seems to be a few individuals who want to spoil all the good work that bhs does... and not talk about that in the last few years they have gone right up in my opinion. A friend of mine was at the meeting and told me that it was just a few individuals who had a personal agenda. It’s got far too personal if you ask me. Come on you lot, there are over 100,000 members allegedly, that’s a lot of horsey people who think bhs do good!
Thank you for your views Violettears. I respectfully disagree. These individuals are neither few nor wanting to spoil. They are in growing number and desperately wanting to save & help. And yes, the BHS does a lot of good and has done for a long time. That's why were are loyal members who want to see it do far better and in a far better way. This is the loyal opposition- trying to improve not destroy.