Another British Horse Society c**k-up

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
To become a Trustee of the BHS (again!) I still have to work out when/if the Articles of Association had a sneaky change - because former employees were excluded from the Board for 3 years last time I looked. I just hope the Pony Club has more sense than to employ her!
Don’t let the bastards get you down!

ECB

Visit site
I would think that the Articles of Association were changed (termed "simplified" at the time) around the time that AGM's were stopped. This would mean that any changes would be ratified by the Board and not need to be reported in any AGM minutes.
Since the Board minutes are not published, which is unusual and not "best practice", members find themselves years down the road with this situation. The CEO will have been aware of this all along and planned her next steps. Once the changes (specifically changes to terms of office) were thwarted at the 5 Jan meeting, this was the "back up" plan - with the CEO becoming Chair this year at the end of the current Chair's term.
The CEO and Board have used members money in legal but unethical and immoral ways.The objects of the charity have received "lip service" and so many good people, employees and volunteers, have suffered. An empire has been built that literally stretches to China and the Emirates. People have worked hard to bring these matters to light. However, nothing has really changed yet though the resignation of the CEO made it appear that way. The EGM in June has no power from the Articles of Association or under company law. Members can and must create such a noise that they will not be ignored.

Visit site
Source for this data please? ETA I know it says accounts but surely they would give even the barest indication of where that 42% goes? I might be wrong but I thought charities legally had to declare where all income was spent?

Themis

Visit site
Source for this data please? ETA I know it says accounts but surely they would give even the barest indication of where that 42% goes? I might be wrong but I thought charities legally had to declare where all income was spent?
I suggest you have a good look at the accounts over recent years. One example - IT expenditure of £7.4 Million from 2012 to 2017

honetpot

Visit site
If you look at some of the figures on the CC website, the depending on which 'pie chart' you look at it appears that all of the money is spent on the charitable aims, because it includes all the running costs of the society.
I think some of the members are trying to work out if the running costs and expense are actually good value for money. The BHS is not deeper in the red due to the push to get more members, who's subcriptions make up a large part of the income, which would be a good thing if only they were not employing more staff and spending alot of money of things that do not seem to have had a cost benifit analysis before commiting to a long term financial commitment.

ECB

Visit site
If you look at some of the figures on the CC website, the depending on which 'pie chart' you look at it appears that all of the money is spent on the charitable aims, because it includes all the running costs of the society.
I think some of the members are trying to work out if the running costs and expense are actually good value for money. The BHS is not deeper in the red due to the push to get more members, who's subcriptions make up a large part of the income, which would be a good thing if only they were not employing more staff and spending alot of money of things that do not seem to have had a cost benifit analysis before commiting to a long term financial commitment.
Have another look at the accounts over time to see the pattern of how reserves have been used to stay afloat.

Themis

Visit site
Although H&H were contacted, they have not responded to invitations/requests from members to "hear" members concerns about BHS. Here's a possible explanation - using the current rates and discounts, BHS will be spending around £93000 with H&H for advertising - excluding any recruitment ads.

honetpot

Visit site
It is rather strange that they are presenting only one side of a story, when really the members have very little voice apart fron social media, no paid staff, and certainly no money to publicise their concerns.
Certainly it make you wonder that the BHS thought when they had to defend their position in a national magazine, when supposedly we are a small group of uninformed malcontents, who have no idea what we are talking about.
Its like the H&H think, if we don't ask the questions we do not have to think about the answers and what we do in response.

ECB

Visit site
If a report of a huge increase in BHS membership appears soon, please seriously question the change. Things aren't always as some people would have them appear.

suestowford

Visit site
There'll be one less on the list as I did not renew this year.
They rang up about 3 weeks after my renewal date to ask if I was going to renew this year or not. I said not, they rang off. They never answered my letters but they got in touch when they wanted money.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
There'll be one less on the list as I did not renew this year.
They rang up about 3 weeks after my renewal date to ask if I was going to renew this year or not. I said not, they rang off. They never answered my letters but they got in touch when they wanted money.

Did they ask why you were leaving? Probably not, I guess - they don't actually WANT members, just their money!

ECB

Visit site
NB: the upcoming meeting for members on 9 April at Morris Equestrian in Scotland is not mentioned on the BHS websites.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Well they happened to ring while I was cooking our dinner so they got my husband. I didn't actually speak to them as I was a bit busy.

lol, good thing they didn't bother ringing me when I drpped mine. My husband would have just yelled something like: "What do you want to tell these twats from the BHS?" - without covering the phone up.

honetpot

Visit site
Depending how this year ends, which so far does not look good, its the last money they will get out of me.
There seems to be no respect for their membership, no wish to communicate or consult with them, and no acknowlegement that they are in the wrong. BE is having problems, but at least someone has stood up and taken some responsibilty.
https://www.britisheventing.com/new...1To0wlUN3COmpvzBKXUUc9bztgDq6LiPTliSSDMGHLTOc

It has literally opened my eyes to a blinkered way of looking at horse ownership/carers the BHS has. The when you add the mis management of resources, money and people, which could do so much good in an enviromement where more knowledge about the care of horses, from their conception to their old age and death is needed, its not really fit for purpose.