Another British Horse Society c**k-up

pink unicorn

Visit site
Hello everyone, I have been following all this.. been a bhs member for a long time and i find it bad that it seems to be a few individuals who want to spoil all the good work that bhs does... and not talk about that in the last few years they have gone right up in my opinion. A friend of mine was at the meeting and told me that it was just a few individuals who had a personal agenda. It’s got far too personal if you ask me. Come on you lot, there are over 100,000 members allegedly, that’s a lot of horsey people who think bhs do good!
This members sound like the old ceo

Cheerup

New User
Visit site
This members sound like the old ceo
The “Few Individuals” are the voice of many others who have “jobs” and “Qualifications” on the line.
Perhaps you could start a forum for the 100,000 members who are happy with the present management, and do not want change.

honetpot

Visit site
The “Few Individuals” are the voice of many others who have “jobs” and “Qualifications” on the line.
Perhaps you could start a forum for the 100,000 members who are happy with the present management, and do not want change.

Well I do not have a job or a quali at stake. Its interesting that you mention the other 100k members. I have been looking for information of how the BHS is run since December, and it been very hard to get any information out of BHS HO, and thats even with emailing.

In British Horse, which is the main way of communicating with members, there was very little information about the meeting on the 5th January, and since then no discussion of the issues. Members have not been sent copies of the proposed Strategic plan, unveiled in a lovely glossy pamphlet. Why would you not want to tell all your members you plans?
Why are not all members getting emails, even though they say they have told them their email?
I think the majority of the 100k members have no idea that the BHS is losing money, and no idea of the poor management of staff and volenteers, some of which some are very well respected volenteers who were effectively sacked after many years of service.
So for anyone who didn't know members have called for an EGM to discuss the issues, and call for a vote of no confidence in the currant Board, the charities form is a company, governed by the Companies Act, which gives members legal rights. We are just trying to exercise those rights.

Themis

Visit site
I have no job or business or qualifications on the line. I do note that some of the Board do. If what you say is true about the happy 100k, where is their unified voice? Or for that matter- other than a really few isolated comments, their voices are noticeably silent.

pink unicorn

Visit site

Ok so the 2013 articles that were past with 46 votes and 2018 with 167 votes certainly were not a representation of the membership at least here and on the membership page has engaged a greater proportion of the membership views

pink unicorn

Visit site
The BHS tried to increase co-option, believing they have a ignorant membership, they failed and still do, to appreciate that the membership, is filled with leaders of industry, legal and financial professionals etc that qualifications far exceed the current board, or exiting CEO

ViolettaTears

Visit site
Morning everyone. We didn't get to Badminton in the end but watched it on TV - thrilling and delighted for Piggy. Other friends did get to the BHS stand and this year but for the first time ever there was no cups of tea for members, but the charity is paying for two expensive lunches from outside caterers at Windsor for the 'great and the good' so that's alright then. This is really basic stuff and so many own goals scored its just makes us angry one minute and sad as well. On another note it's good that the long lost minutes of the meetings have finally been put up on the website, but we shouldn't have to keep asking for this stuff, the trustees have a responsibility to make sure that basic governance like this is done. We want to see three things. one: the asked for and promised EGM so we can publicly, openly debate the issues ie public transparency, two: concrete evidence that the trustees have got a headhunter and a plan to replace the CE (three months since her leaving was announced is ridiculous) and three: we want to see the Annual Report published. Under company house and charity commission guidelines they can stretch publication of the Annual Report until August (9 months after they closed the books on 31 December 2018). The Annual Report will already have been audited and it will have already been signed off by trustees. So in the spirit of openness and transparency and an act to show that the trustees are really listening, get it published so we can see who has been paid off, the real profit from the membership income and how our charity money has been spent. It is OUR charity. Not the staffs or trustees or chairmans or CE. Ours.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
No, there were no cups of tea on offer to members at Badminton. There were sessions going on within the stand with the mechanical horse, for which IIRC a voluntary donation of £5 was suggested. When I was there, a clearly very nervous and rather large lady, who stated that she hadn't ridden a horse for over a year, got on it. The 'instructor' then ignored her and looked everywhere else but at her student, who was trying her best to get used to the feel of the beast. I really felt for her, and was rather bemused by the whole thing.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
No, there were no cups of tea on offer to members at Badminton. There were sessions going on within the stand with the mechanical horse, for which IIRC a voluntary donation of £5 was suggested. When I was there, a clearly very nervous and rather large lady, who stated that she hadn't ridden a horse for over a year, got on it. The 'instructor' then ignored her and looked everywhere else but at her student, who was trying her best to get used to the feel of the beast. I really felt for her, and was rather bemused by the whole thing.

Heck - I still remember takin a mechanical horse to Burghley - must have been 2000. Troube was, thee were only mechanical racehorses back then - and they galloped. Impossible to ride them in the dressage seat, lol. It was a non-stop teaching job.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Hope the tea and cake will be at Windsor this week!

Velcrobum

Visit site
I was not going to go to Windsor but I think I might just to go and visit BHS stand and ask more questions. Got fed a party line at Badminton.........
Did not see the lorry there I wonder if it will make an appearance at Windsor. Does anyone think the puppet will be seen ever again?????

onemoretime

Visit site
I was not going to go to Windsor but I think I might just to go and visit BHS stand and ask more questions. Got fed a party line at Badminton.........
Did not see the lorry there I wonder if it will make an appearance at Windsor. Does anyone think the puppet will be seen ever again?????

I saw no lorry and no puppet and no tea or coffee in the BHS stand. I suppose they are cutting back and tea and coffee are the first things to cut out!

sywell

Visit site
I think the comment about the small number of people complaining out of the total membership is understandable many people are reluctant to put their head above the parapit but if they had worked for many years with Shelia Hardy and respected her hard work and sensible decisions they would not hesitate. I was quite shocked that no one asked the minister a question at the Equine Forum in spite of the serious mistakes DEFRA are making over the CED as if the NED was not bad enough.

jofwigby

Visit site
I think the comment about the small number of people complaining out of the total membership is understandable many people are reluctant to put their head above the parapit but if they had worked for many years with Shelia Hardy and respected her hard work and sensible decisions they would not hesitate. I was quite shocked that no one asked the minister a question at the Equine Forum in spite of the serious mistakes DEFRA are making over the CED as if the NED was not bad enough.
Most of the questions were scripted at the Forum - none of the charities have been remotely interested in the CED and have only recently jumped on board now that it seems there are money making and training opportunities - its all aimed at High Health Horses who have everything in order anyway. Drives me to distraction.

ECB

Visit site
No I think the broken puppet will stay in the closet - hiding until closer to the election. Then it will stand for election having been approved by the Nominations Committee. And after the current Chair exits (rumoured to be September) it will stand for Chair and be transformed into the puppet controller herself.

pink unicorn

Visit site
No I think the broken puppet will stay in the closet - hiding until closer to the election. Then it will stand for election having been approved by the Nominations Committee. And after the current Chair exits (rumoured to be September) it will stand for Chair and be transformed into the puppet controller herself.

it will have more qualifications, honesty and common sense than any of the other current board !!!!! LOL

Visit site
Seems to be a lot of activity over on the Facebook page. Some members trying to speak on behalf of others and even set up meetings on behalf of members. In my opinion, from a legal, moral, and ethical perspective - the next step has to be the general meeting called by the members petition that was received in March. The Charity Commission knows this and are watching this space. Don't derail the democratic process - the meeting will be open to all members. No other process can do this democratically. Beware of the Trojan Horse with an "olive branch".

Cheerup

New User
Visit site
Fred Hodges is charming with an “Iron Man” reputation who has been unwittingly been put in a difficult position.

Unfortunately his lack of research and continuous questions demonstrate his complete lack of ability, his stupidity and his lack of understanding of the power and longevity of social media.

Fred is being used by the establishment to kick the can down the road.

The few people who have the courage to write in these social columns are going to get the “BHS” into a better position, despite the general malaise of over legislation in the modern world.

The people who are steering Fred Hodges care more for their qualifications and incomes than the good order of the “BHS”

ViolettaTears

Visit site
Fred Hodges is charming with an “Iron Man” reputation who has been unwittingly been put in a difficult position.

Unfortunately his lack of research and continuous questions demonstrate his complete lack of ability, his stupidity and his lack of understanding of the power and longevity of social media.

Fred is being used by the establishment to kick the can down the road.

The few people who have the courage to write in these social columns are going to get the “BHS” into a better position, despite the general malaise of over legislation in the modern world.

The people who are steering Fred Hodges care more for their qualifications and incomes than the good order of the “BHS”

Two things about Fred Hodges. One his yard isn't BHS Approved and never has been, even when he was a Trustee. So, either his yard isn't/wasn't up to BHS standards and/or he wouldn't pay the BHS fees. Two his expenses, when he was a trustee, were higher than anyones because he claimed back every single thing he could.

ECB

Visit site
The ONLY route forward that makes sense is an open general meeting, as petitioned, where any member can attend. As a long time member (more than 30 years) of the BHS, I do not support anyone else speaking for me. I have worked hard to discover the facts and understand the issues. I do NOT support any moves for a meeting other than the general meeting as petitioned by members. I am one of the people who signed the petition. Fred, Sarah Jane, and others - Do not try to deny the legal rights of members. Instead of helping, this plan to set aside the legal rights of members and forgo the general meeting could lead the BHS somewhere you don't intend.

onemoretime

Visit site
Two things about Fred Hodges. One his yard isn't BHS Approved and never has been, even when he was a Trustee. So, either his yard isn't/wasn't up to BHS standards and/or he wouldn't pay the BHS fees. Two his expenses, when he was a trustee, were higher than anyones because he claimed back every single thing he could.

Well well well the truth shall out!!

Themis

Visit site
Copied this from a related thread about the BHS Election & Rights of Members -
Looking back to the suspicious changes to the Articles of Association in 2013 & 2016 - check the postings from pink unicorn above - note that the chair person (CA) was the same. And this is the same person who allowed the CEO to be hired without advertising - overruling the views of the Board. And look who else was on the Board in 2016 - it's Fred- the recent noise maker on the Facebook page who's been trying to set up a meeting to speak on behalf of members and bump the general meeting, legally called by petition, into the long grass.