Another British Horse Society c**k-up

Visit site
Well Im not surprised regarding CA hiring LP without advertising and overruling the Board its cloak and dagger all the way and as for Fred, well he has just been put on the FB site to fob everyone off and cause even further delay!
Yes. Cloak & dagger& self serving interests. Corrupt through & through. Fred is delaying the legitimate process created by the petition.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Yes. Cloak & dagger& self serving interests. Corrupt through & through. Fred is delaying the legitimate process created by the petition.

No - he's just driving me up the wall but also seems to have backed off a bit. Obviously he 'wnats to help' - but having a nasty, suspicious mind, I wonder that's because he wants to keep going to China and etting lots of other jobs. But - he has no power to delay the petition - that is in the hands of the Chairman - and I have heard (from a reliable source) that it is planned for June. You CAN be sure it won't be shouted from the rooftops - but there MUST be reasonabe notice given or we'll have something else to take to the CC. So far I have heard of two potential Trustees who have been accepted - one of them would be very good (the other pretty useless, lol) These ARE confidential at present so I can say no more, but will make sure you all know as soon as I can.

Visit site
No - he's just driving me up the wall but also seems to have backed off a bit. Obviously he 'wnats to help' - but having a nasty, suspicious mind, I wonder that's because he wants to keep going to China and etting lots of other jobs. But - he has no power to delay the petition - that is in the hands of the Chairman - and I have heard (from a reliable source) that it is planned for June. You CAN be sure it won't be shouted from the rooftops - but there MUST be reasonabe notice given or we'll have something else to take to the CC. So far I have heard of two potential Trustees who have been accepted - one of them would be very good (the other pretty useless, lol) These ARE confidential at present so I can say no more, but will make sure you all know as soon as I can.
And I have heard of two excellent candidates rejected.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
No puppet or mechanical horse in evidence at the small BHS stand at Chatsworth BE today. Initially I thought the stand was unmanned, but I did eventually spot a bored looking person sitting at the back. She didn’t interact with me, the only other person in the stand at the time, at all.

Themis

Visit site
Well Im not surprised regarding CA hiring LP without advertising and overruling the Board its cloak and dagger all the way and as for Fred, well he has just been put on the FB site to fob everyone off and cause even further delay!
Agree completely. What surprises me still is that they don't seem to understand that members see their motives in action! That their attempts to deceive and delay are obvious. And if we can see it - so can the Charity Commission, Inland Revenue, and the Ombudsman!

ECB

Visit site
The elephant in the room about Mr Clunes

Martin Clunes dropped over 'exploitative' elephant ride
_106950693_clunes_itv.jpg
The actor has been dropped as a patron of Born Free after riding a captive elephant for an ITV show.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
lol, I saw that and couldn't be cruel enough to post it here. There was no real PROOF that the elephants giving rides was cruel - one assumes they've been raised since very young and aren't scared. (As the only 'free' elephant I've seen up close was chasing me with malicious intent, I'm not sure if the ever GET scared.)

Reactions: ECB

ECB

Visit site
lol, I saw that and couldn't be cruel enough to post it here. There was no real PROOF that the elephants giving rides was cruel - one assumes they've been raised since very young and aren't scared. (As the only 'free' elephant I've seen up close was chasing me with malicious intent, I'm not sure if the ever GET scared.)
One may think there is no proof - but the charity "Born Free" thinks there is proof. And Born Free, to their credit, have taken action.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I did some research and - oddly enough - found the best info in 'comments' on the Mirror piece. "
"Contrarian Viewpoint
Several people here are asking why elephant riding should be seen as different to horse riding.
Firstly, elephants have much stronger social bonds than horses - it is extremely traumatic for an elephant to be separated from its group and family bonds last a lifetime, which is not true of horses.
Secondly, tourist elephants often have to carry six passengers, plus its mahoot. This .'saddle' can chafe badly as the elephant sways along and I have seen open sores (some infected) and scarring along many tourist animal's backs and welfare experts often argue that just because an elephant is enormously strong; it doesn't mean its bone structure is suited to carry such heavy loads on its back - many tourist animals suffer debilitating back conditions.
Thirdly and perhaps most importantly, the training and 'breaking' of a young elephants is a long and brutal process; taking up to two years. This 'training', in Thailand known as 'Pajaan' involves removing a very young animal, possibly only a year old, from its mother, isolating it from all other elephants; tethering it, so that it can barely move and beating it, so that its spirit is broken.
So educate yourselves folks and don't ride elephants"

I was easy enough to find - wonder why Martin Clunes doesn't open his eyes.

ECB

Visit site
I did some research and - oddly enough - found the best info in 'comments' on the Mirror piece. "
"Contrarian Viewpoint
Several people here are asking why elephant riding should be seen as different to horse riding.
Firstly, elephants have much stronger social bonds than horses - it is extremely traumatic for an elephant to be separated from its group and family bonds last a lifetime, which is not true of horses.
Secondly, tourist elephants often have to carry six passengers, plus its mahoot. This .'saddle' can chafe badly as the elephant sways along and I have seen open sores (some infected) and scarring along many tourist animal's backs and welfare experts often argue that just because an elephant is enormously strong; it doesn't mean its bone structure is suited to carry such heavy loads on its back - many tourist animals suffer debilitating back conditions.
Thirdly and perhaps most importantly, the training and 'breaking' of a young elephants is a long and brutal process; taking up to two years. This 'training', in Thailand known as 'Pajaan' involves removing a very young animal, possibly only a year old, from its mother, isolating it from all other elephants; tethering it, so that it can barely move and beating it, so that its spirit is broken.
So educate yourselves folks and don't ride elephants"

I was easy enough to find - wonder why Martin Clunes doesn't open his eyes.
Someone(s) have pulled the wool over his eyes for so long it is habit. He has had his eyes shut to human suffering while good people have been hurt and driven out. He has believed the hype and spin and not questioned outrageous actions. He's another "leader" of the "me, me, me - it's all about me" variety.

honetpot

Visit site
Email today
Notice of a General Meeting

Notice is hereby given that a General Meeting (the “Meeting”) of The British Horse Society (the “Society”) will be held at The Stareton Hall, National Agricultural and Exhibition Centre, Stoneleigh Park, Stoneleigh, Kenilworth, CV8 2LZ on Tuesday 11 June 2019 at 7.00pm to discuss and vote on the proposed ordinary resolution:

Resolution

To discuss and vote on the proposal of “No confidence in the Chairman, the Board of Trustees, and the Chief Executive of The British Horse Society”.

Themis

Visit site
And while the petition did not give reasons, as the Chairman points out in his letter, there are many and they are valid. And while there may not be legal precedence and this vote be a political statement, it is an indictment of the behaviour and attitudes of not just the recently resigned CEO but of the Chairman, the Board and the leadership. 45 signatures were gathered without any effort at all. Click that mi-voice button to confirm your attendance or arrange a proxy vote.

ViolettaTears

Visit site
And while the petition did not give reasons, as the Chairman points out in his letter, there are many and they are valid. And while there may not be legal precedence and this vote be a political statement, it is an indictment of the behaviour and attitudes of not just the recently resigned CEO but of the Chairman, the Board and the leadership. 45 signatures were gathered without any effort at all. Click that mi-voice button to confirm your attendance or arrange a proxy vote.
well said

ViolettaTears

Visit site
This morning we are celebrating. The reason is a simple one. The former CE did not make it onto the list for the potential new trustees despite all her best efforts. So she is no longer in post, she won't be a trustee and therefore won't be chairman. This at least is a step in the right direction. We wondered what has changed at Stoneleigh and think it might be the advice being given by the new lawyers since the sacking of the incompetent PWC.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site

ViolettaTears

Visit site
C

Thank you Janet. I haven't had an email so have submitted my email addy via that form.
Just a thought - what about the older members who don't have an email address. I'm sure I've heard at one of the meetings we've been to that Stoneleigh only have about half of the members email addresses? Presumably DS will write to everyone else and put something in the membership magazine? Or am I being too much of an optimist???

Cowpony

Visit site
I didn't get the e-mail but I've received a hard copy letter and proxy form in the post today. Proxies have to be with the independent scrutineer by 7pm on Friday 7 June, and you can appoint the proxy electronically on-line.

ECB

Visit site
This morning we are celebrating. The reason is a simple one. The former CE did not make it onto the list for the potential new trustees despite all her best efforts. So she is no longer in post, she won't be a trustee and therefore won't be chairman. This at least is a step in the right direction. We wondered what has changed at Stoneleigh and think it might be the advice being given by the new lawyers since the sacking of the incompetent PWC.
Or it might be the influence of the Charity Commission or the Inland Revenue. Whatever the reasons,
For people who cannot attend, how do we go about arranging a proxy to vote on our behalf? I don't know anyone (in real life) who is attending.
I have raised questions about the exact requirements for a proxy vote. I am attending the meeting and will take proxy votes. Please pm me if you want me to vote for you to support the vote of no confidence.

ViolettaTears

Visit site
Or it might be the influence of the Charity Commission or the Inland Revenue. Whatever the reasons,

I have raised questions about the exact requirements for a proxy vote. I am attending the meeting and will take proxy votes. Please pm me if you want me to vote for you to support the vote of no confidence.
Yes huge thanks to all the people who have been in touch with the charity commission, it would of course be the outside pressure from members who care so much that has made the difference!

Reactions: ECB

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Just a thought - what about the older members who don't have an email address. I'm sure I've heard at one of the meetings we've been to that Stoneleigh only have about half of the members email addresses? Presumably DS will write to everyone else and put something in the membership magazine? Or am I being too much of an optimist???

I have heard of a few members who have now had the letter in the post.

ViolettaTears

Visit site
I have heard of a few members who have now had the letter in the post.
Hi Janet. Yes, we've just got home from being out for the day and there's a letter from the Chairman, which is the same as the email so it appears a belt and braces job. We are going to attend in person! Now isn't the time to let things go.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Has anyone else clicked on the link in their email?

I know that they need to make sure that proxy votes aren't micast, but I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with the options provided. Will how we voted be anonymous if we fill in this form?