Another British Horse Society c**k-up

ECB

Visit site
Has anyone else clicked on the link in their email?

I know that they need to make sure that proxy votes aren't micast, but I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with the options provided. Will how we voted be anonymous if we fill in this form?
Here's a useful post from the BHS Members page on Facebook - I believe that to ensure the votes are legitimate they must be linked to membership numbers. The independent scrutineer (as they have been termed) reduces the risk of retaliation, in my opinion. One must make up one's own mind though. I, for one, do not want to be a member of a Society where I fear retaliation. So if such action is taken, I am better off out of it. Perhaps your concern is not retaliation though.

Reactions: DD

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Here's a useful post from the BHS Members page on Facebook - I believe that to ensure the votes are legitimate they must be linked to membership numbers. The independent scrutineer (as they have been termed) reduces the risk of retaliation, in my opinion. One must make up one's own mind though. I, for one, do not want to be a member of a Society where I fear retaliation. So if such action is taken, I am better off out of it. Perhaps your concern is not retaliation though.

I'm not a member of FB. Would it be possible to post the helpful information here?

pepino

New User
Visit site
I am a life member and have just received a letter from the BHS inviting me to a meeting on June 11 to vote on a vote of confidence/ no confidence in the governing body. this is the first notification I have had of any problems. I have just read all the posts on here and had no idea at all of what has been going on.
I feel the BHS's communication with me has been poor, and what is all this about large lorries, puppets ( seriously ) and moving into China, surely we have enough welfare problems here to deal with as it is.
I don't take H and H either, perhaps I should start now.

Visit site
I am a life member and have just received a letter from the BHS inviting me to a meeting on June 11 to vote on a vote of confidence/ no confidence in the governing body. this is the first notification I have had of any problems. I have just read all the posts on here and had no idea at all of what has been going on.
I feel the BHS's communication with me has been poor, and what is all this about large lorries, puppets ( seriously ) and moving into China, surely we have enough welfare problems here to deal with as it is.
I don't take H and H either, perhaps I should start now.
Hello! If you would like, tomorrow I can help direct you to some links for information about this vote.

Visit site
19 May, 08:58 BST

The postal packs were distributed 2nd class on Thursday and as a consequence, some may not arrive until early next week.

With regard to e-mail, it is possible that it has got caught in the member's spam folder, it has bounced or the member does not have an email address registered with the Society. We would encourage all individuals to check their junk/ spam folder and if they cannot find the e-mail, then to contact Mi-Voice Support. Alternatively, they can also vote by visiting www.mi-vote.com/bhsgm

It is Mi-Voice's policy not to discuss any individual's voting matters other than directly with the person concerned. Please could you ask the two members below to contact support and we will do everything we can to assist.

Many thanks
Ben Thomas
Mi-Voice Support
T: 02380 763958
E: bthomas@mi-voice.com

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk

Just to add - this was added as a public info page - all the discussion is on the main Group. You do need to answer two simple questions to be accepted to the main Group.

As in: Are you or have you been a member of the BHS: if you answer NO to this one, please say you're interested in joining or words to that effect.

And: Are you concerned about the management of the BHS. No is ok if you are a member, lol. Otherwise, we think there's not a lot of reason to add you to the membership.

Themis

Visit site
Here's something very useful to begin to understand why a meeting for a vote of confidence was petitioned. This is from the open public info page described above which is connected to the main Group.

Attachments

• Redacted Cover-letter-final- 2401 .pdf
    73 KB · Views: 20

pink unicorn

Visit site
The file attached is a summary of the concerms and questions,

Attachments

• Member-concerns-summary-v7.pdf
    165.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

mavandkaz

Visit site
I know this was asked earlier, but there didn't seem to be a clear answer.
I would like to vote, but cannot attend. And don't know anyone who is going.
What can I do? Why is there not an electronic ballot?

Themis

Visit site

Themis

Visit site
INJUSTICE - I posted the following on the BHS Facebook page with a link to an information page. It was deleted and I am blocked from posting. "As a long serving member and former local Chair, who signed the petition, I respectfully request the right to use this space to provide access for members to further information about the important matters behind the requisitioned meeting. Members deserve the chance to understand the whole picture and make up their own minds on the very important vote." https://www.facebook.com/groups/646758525781802/?ref=group_header

DD

Visit site
I received a paper vote through the post yesterday and would like a proxy vote. I need someones membership number to put on the form for that. any volunteers?

Themis

Visit site
POINT OF FACT - this is the second petition calling for a vote of no confidence.
The first petition, as the Chairman knows, was submitted at the 5 Jan meeting and withdrawn at the end of the meeting at his request with his assurance that concerns were heard, appropriate action would be taken and that the meeting would be reconvened in future. This second petition represents the view of 45, far beyond the 12 members required by the articles; a point also neglected in the recent letters to members and volunteers.

Reactions: DD

LessThanPerfect

Visit site
Sad to see that the BHS hasn't evolved from its elitist attitude. I am a disabled rider but can ride iindependently at all paces, however, I cannot stand or walk unassisted as I can't support my own weight on my legs following spinal and leg damage in a car accident so need to mount from a ramp or block. Around ten years ago I wanted to do the stage one exam and my instructor advised I contact the BHS to see what medical evidence I needed to provide to use a mounting block.

I spoke to a very prominent member of the BHS with the initials JM and explained. His response is burned into my brain to this day, I quote "Oh we couldn't possibly make an exception for you. To do so would discriminate unfairly against able-bodied riders who at least tried"!!!!!

So maybe I just needed to try harder to mend my spinal injuries.

Needless to say, I did the ABRS exams instead, a much friendlier organisation all around.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Sad to see that the BHS hasn't evolved from its elitist attitude. I am a disabled rider but can ride iindependently at all paces, however, I cannot stand or walk unassisted as I can't support my own weight on my legs following spinal and leg damage in a car accident so need to mount from a ramp or block. Around ten years ago I wanted to do the stage one exam and my instructor advised I contact the BHS to see what medical evidence I needed to provide to use a mounting block.

I spoke to a very prominent member of the BHS with the initials JM and explained. His response is burned into my brain to this day, I quote "Oh we couldn't possibly make an exception for you. To do so would discriminate unfairly against able-bodied riders who at least tried"!!!!!

Needless to say, I did the ABRS exams instead, a much friendlier organisation all around.

Hell - that is appalling! I used to teach an adult rider with lower left leg prosthesis. A visiting 'Instructor to be' told him he must mount from the left - he didn't bother kicking the idiot with his left leg which WOULD have hurt, lol - he just said: "Oh hell, any side will do". The idiot did NOT become an RDA Instructor. Quite apart from the individual with a good reaosn for mounting from a block, I insist my staff ALWAYS mount from a block or a handy haylage bale - good for the horses' training and good for their backs too!

DD

Visit site
PM me and I can help

Absolutely appalling and it sums up the BHS to a T