Another embarassing problem post...

Maia

Visit site
...about sweaty bums :eek:

Whenever I do more than just potter around the lanes (i.e. actually work my horse and myself in the process) or on particularly warm days I find I get a sweaty bum and consequently an embarassing sweat patch that, from behind, looks like I've wet myself... Oh the shame :(

Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions for avoiding it?

kerilli

Visit site
Ummm... no, never, but I would try: talc, cotton undies, and good quality cotton breeches, I think!
Unless of course you actually have wet yourself without realising, in which case I hear that Tena ladies are supposed to be really good. ;) ;)
Sorry, couldn't resist. I think you are seriously brave to post that under your real username!

Gamebird

Visit site
I've seen it, but only on the person in front of me 30mins into an intense spinning class... What on earth do you get up to on a hack? :eek:

Maia

Visit site
Just to clarify - happens schooling rather than hacking, lol!!! (probably says more about my schooling and general fitness than anything else...)

Always wear cotton knickers, good quality (Cavallo) breeches and colour seems irrelevant... possibly suede seat doesn't help but I'm loathed to replace my lovely Cavallos unless its a last resort! Will try the talc and actually Kerilli I wonder if the tena ladies carefully positioned might work?!

Oh and more mortifying... I wouldn't even be aware of the problem had a friends OH not pointed it out - since then I've been paranoid and have subsequently been noticing it more and more...

kerilli

Visit site
well, since we apparently have no insults or secrets on this thread... umm, I don't know how to say this nicely, it is going to sound horrible however I put it. Really sorry! Umm, cotton knickers + fulll seat cavallos shouldn't make a difference, I wear these and my top half often sweats a lot, but the bottom half doesn't... ummm, are you a bit overweight maybe, might that be the cause? Sorry sorry sorry I don't mean to sound like an über-bitch but I can't think how else to say it! *goes straight to HHO hell*

Maia

Visit site
No offense taken - I'm a little size 8! Haha, though I have been told my bum is my best feature as its toned and curvey :eek:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Have you got other jods you could try out and see if it still happens.

I get itchy skin if I sit on a horse (or indeed a seat!) for too long. I have really sensitive eczema prone skin. Been doing training all week and sat on a school type plastic chair and it's driving me insane. (no rash or anything and I wonder if it's in my head!!)

Maia

Visit site
I do have some plain cheapy cotton jods somewhere I can dig out and try so will try those. Fortunately no itching etc and it doesn't even feel like Ive sweated (unlike sweaty upperbody) - theres just a lovely sweat patch on my bum when i get off (not a mark on the saddle though?!?!?)

Was watching Jennifer Saunders do her jumping round just now though and spotted she had the same issue :eek: so maybe its more common than we realise?!

Lolo

Visit site
Could it not be sweat but something rubbing off the saddle- so if you use leather conditioner stuff, it could be leaving greasy marks? Is it actually damp?!

rlhnlk

Visit site
Try riding in Lycra running pants - I ride in them because I've usually been for a run or to bootcamp before stables or I'm going after. I don't have your problem as such after a run or whatever I've usually got a canny sweat on and no one can tell (other than my red face). They're comfy too and if you go to sports direct you can pick them up for around £5- £10 a pair so cheap aswell!

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Don't fear, I see it all the time, to the point I am paranoid about my own backside and state at videos of my behind trying to decide if it a shadow or something else!! I don't think I suffer from it, and haven't been brave enough to broach the subject with anyone I see with it, so can't help other than to say - you are not alone!!! :D

Maia

Visit site
He's hard work Kerilli but I don't think I'm driving as such - I get the same problem in my jump saddle doing light seat work as I do in the dressage... On plus side I'm generally a sweaty mess after a good schooling session (both of us seem to loathe it which means I work very hard and so does he! Haha) so its not limited to between my cheeks but more embarassing than elsewhere. Will try different fabrics and see if that helps.

Lolo - deffo sweat as within 10-15 mins its completely gone/dry. Hmm, however with this in mind am now wondering whether its the leather seat on leather saddle and lack of breathability??

rlhnlk - will see if I can find a pair to try, am sure I have some kicking around somewhere. How do the compare to proper jods with regards to slipperyness. My horse has a wicked sense of humour (and olympic gymnastic potential!) which was the reason for converting to full seat cavallos in the first place, and they have saved me eating dirt on many an occasion!

Maia

Visit site
KirstyHen - that is hugely reassuring! Hmm, maybe we could develop antisweat knickers and make our millions... ;)

rlhnlk

Visit site
I find them fine however my saddle is buffalo leather so quite grippy anyway when they have a moment. If it was a well worn slippy leather saddle I'm not sure how they would be but possibly still worth a try. They're more comfortable than breeches too I think - I hate having to put my breeches on for a lesson or competing as they feel heavy and restrictive!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've got a suede-seat saddle and on a hot day ............. like the old saying "horses sweat, men perspire, and women glow" - well, there've been times when there's a mega embarrassing damp patch on the saddle seat, to the extent that its permanent now (blush!). Any ideas how to remove said stain? Sorry wasn't meaning to hi-jack, but I think suede-seat saddles are not maybe such as good an idea as I'd thought. I've got another horse and ride her in a leather conventional seat saddle - and have never noticed this problem before.

Maia

Visit site
The people I see it on are all in cheap cotton jods, so not sure that will help you. Sorry to be the bringing of bad news :p

No - that's quite good as hopefully my beloved Cavallos are not to blame/cotton jods wont make a difference and I wont have to say goodbye to my Cavallos.

May be tempted by the Sure Maximum Protection roll on though... that and a carefully placed tena lady and I'll just have to pray I don't come off and need paramedics to cut my clothes off!

Maia

Visit site
I find them fine however my saddle is buffalo leather so quite grippy anyway when they have a moment. If it was a well worn slippy leather saddle I'm not sure how they would be but possibly still worth a try. They're more comfortable than breeches too I think - I hate having to put my breeches on for a lesson or competing as they feel heavy and restrictive!

Hmm, saddle isn't the stickiest but probably still worth a try...

Maia

Visit site
I've got a suede-seat saddle and on a hot day ............. like the old saying "horses sweat, men perspire, and women glow" - well, there've been times when there's a mega embarrassing damp patch on the saddle seat, to the extent that its permanent now (blush!). Any ideas how to remove said stain? Sorry wasn't meaning to hi-jack, but I think suede-seat saddles are not maybe such as good an idea as I'd thought. I've got another horse and ride her in a leather conventional seat saddle - and have never noticed this problem before.

:( Could be the suede seat on my breeches after all then :( B****r!

As for the saddle... old fashioned steaming always brought my old velvet hats up like new...

mushroom

Visit site
I swear by Sure Maximum Protection roll on deodorant, perhaps shove some of that between your arse cheeks... ;)

I was going to suggest that too.

A thong might become your best friend especially if you put some tissue underneath .. um er round the back .. as it would absorb the 'moisture' :eek:

I've seen a couple of people at my yard with the same problem although they seem to be oblivious to it.

mil1212

Visit site
I would like to come out and also say i have this problem :eek:
I don't have a sweaty bum though :eek: my back sweats and it drips down (too much information?!) I get a little circle on the top of my leather seats :( It only happens at events when I am stressed/ switching horses/ in and out of tweed and body protectors. My mum suggests big grannie cotton pants but I can't bring myself to it, or my other idea was to strap a panty liner on my waistband .... (did I just admit to that!) :eek::eek:

BeckyD

Visit site

You're not alone - I've seen that happen to quite a few saddles - mainly suede seated ones but I've also noticed it on brown normal leather saddles (older ones). When I was a teenager I spent a while hunting down second-hand saddles to fit an awkward horse, and during my foragings discovered this problem. Made me paranoid in case it happened to me although I suspect it's pretty normal and more a reflection of the leather type than anything else! It hasn't happened to my saddles yet, although heaven forbid I sit on a plastic chair for any length of time...I always seem to leave a sweaty mark :eek: I've become the master of sliding off plastic seats slowly and with a bit of a swish to try to dry it whilst simultaneously getting up!

jenbleep

Visit site
You're not alone, I get a sweaty bum too :eek: I don't think I get actual patches but am paranoid!! :eek:

I'm just a general hot person anyway and get very sweaty during any kind of exercise. It's why I won't wear grey coloured joggers to the gym!

Sorry can't help you but have learnt a lot from this thread :D Oh and I'm a size 12 if that's make a difference :confused: Think I'm still slim enough to be riding horses!

kerilli

Visit site
I swear by Sure Maximum Protection roll on deodorant, perhaps shove some of that between your arse cheeks... ;) be careful you don't slip mind :eek: :F

Best post EVAH on HHO. pmsl. So practical, K.

I don't think the buffalo or suede leather makes a difference, or the full seats!
For the coolest breeches that also have mega-sticky-bums try Kerrits, they really are fantastic. I hardly bother with my Pikeurs and Cavallos now.
I think you should try a trainer who shows you how to get the horse in front of your leg so that you don't have to work so hard, tbh. (Any trainer who yells "leg leg leg" when I'm in working trot gets the boot - some really do encourage you to work harder and harder, rather than smarter... horse should respond to aid and then need only the occasional reminder!)