Another foreign rescue infected with Brucella canis

skinnydipper

Visit site
Found this info on a fact sheet produced by New Jersey Dept of Health

"Clinical Signs of Canine Brucellosis in People

The most common signs we see with human infection include fever, chills, lethargy, headache, weakness, muscle aches, and swollen lymph nodes. In more severe infections, joints, bones, or heart valves may be affected. Signs may appear anywhere from 3 weeks up to several months after infection. People who may have been exposed to B. canis from their dog should consult with their physician, especially if they are showing clinical signs compatible with brucellosis. It is important to let their physician know about the canine brucellosis exposure. Children and immunosuppressed individuals may be at the highest risk of infection. It is important to know that currently available human antibody tests for brucellosis cannot detect antibodies to Brucella canis. These tests work when people are infected by a different species of Brucella, but not B. canis. For this reason it is important to consult with your physician about performing other diagnostic tests, such as a blood culture. Physicians can contact the New Jersey Department of Health for information on appropriate Brucellosis testing."

https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/docume...ellosis Fact Sheet- general public- NJDOH.pdf

conniegirl

Visit site
There are still plenty of smaller rescues nationwide that are a bit more realistic about peoples circumstances.
I haven’t found one near me unless you want a staffy or staffy cross of unknown origin and uncertain temprement.

i am also a failed rescuer (though only uk rescues) so I privately rehomed 2 beautiful, wonderful dogs whose owners were going through incredibly hard times.

had i not managed to find these then i probably would have bought a puppy.

at the tome we were a young couple who owned thier own home, had 6ft fences round the garden, tons of experience with difficult dogs and plenty of time. We were refused because we both work.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
So it appears we may have the first human case of Brucella Canis in the UK. The woman is out of hospital and recovering but this should never have happened and sadly it’s the tip of the iceberg unless DEFRA act and sooner than later! My vets contacted me back last year knowing I had a foreign rescue dog and asking me to get her tested and it was now their policy not to operate on any dog unless they had been tested. I had Zara tested both swab test and a blood test which had to go to a government lab, thankfully she tested negative. A lot of rescues were bringing dogs in which were not tested and some even had failed titre tests for rabies. The implications for humans,all mammals and wildlife is too horrific to contemplate. There is a ban in place atm for all commercial travel for dogs,cats etc which came about because transport was seized with rescue dogs which were non compliant with the above diseases . These rescues caused this which is impacting responsible rescues who have always followed the rules, these non compliant rescues put every living thing in danger, they are not rescue they are pet dealers who are making lots and lots of money. Often these rescue do not offer rescue back up if the adoption doesnt work out so it falls to other rescues to step in and take responsibility for these dogs. Because these irresponsible so called rescues are only interested in the money they are not fussy who adopts their dogs. The new adopters are very often not given good advice and its become more and more frequent that these dogs escape after a few days sometimes even on the first day to roam into the countryside with all the implications on the wildlife and other animals they may come into contact with.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Is all commercial travel banned or is it just to the UK from certain countries?[/QUOTE Only certain countries, even now some of these rescues are trying to circumnavigate around the restrictions. Rescue are classed as commercial but it is not affecting pets travelling with pet passports, so with this in mind at least one rescue that I know of has sent an adopter to Calais to pick up her dog.

APHA & DEFRA are fully aware of these rescues bringing in non-compliant dogs but because of lack of funding/man power etc even when they have been given the heads up which included reg numbers they failed to act. Rescues are bringing in more and more puppies and the general consensus is they are being bred for this. With the numbers being brought over here and abroad and TNR numbers should be falling but they are not.

https://www.facebook.com/barnabyslaw read lots more here about how one woman is trying so hard to end this illegal trade, she has has been threatened many times because make no mistake about it there is a lot of money being made.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Not commenting directly on this case but it is absolutely often an industry and I do worry about what some puppy farm and 'rescue' operations are funding.

As I've said before it's infuriating when some of us have to jump through hoops with a small number of well cared for, healthy, much loved dogs when some punter can just drive a van full of poor, diseased animals covered in their own mess (as if they get out to clean themselves regularly!!) through on an industrial scale, because it's too much bother to check them all.

And they pull on the heartstrings of the UK public, who think they are doing a kind thing. I think people should be careful to make sure they are not supporting what could be nothing more than a criminal enterprise.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i think lots of these so called rescues are just money making machines and the poor dogs are the losers as well as the people who fall for their marketing. they proudly say they have a foreign rescue and seem to look down on anyone who buys a puppy in the UK..i have spoken to people who have these rescues and quite a few of them have been petrified of everything and bolt the minute they can. there doesnt seem to be any back up from the rescues either, once they have their money they dont want to know. its so sad and its about time the ports pulled their socks up as well...

Clodagh

Visit site
Some chronically infected dogs can be asymptomatic and still infect humans and other dogs.

With this in mind, will those who have adopted dogs from high risk countries be making arrangements to have their dogs tested?
I bet not, as they are nicer people (than the bulk of us) which exonerates them from responsibility.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Some chronically infected dogs can be asymptomatic and still infect humans and other dogs.

With this in mind, will those who have adopted dogs from high risk countries be making arrangements to have their dogs tested?
I had an email from my vet suggesting I get her tested, its my understanding the BVA were going to contact all vets to contact their clients over it. I asked my vet if many people had responded and they said not that many which will be a problem if that dog requires an operation as they wont operate without a test.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Dobiegirl, I think your vet may be exceptional.

Could anyone else who has adopted from brucella canis endemic countries please confirm if their vet has contacted them to arrange testing.

Last edited:

Dobiegirl

Visit site

They are, Langford which is a big teaching hospital., they told me they contacted all the vets in their area when they had 2 cases. I sent them an email after receiving theirs asking me to test my dog and I sent them loads of questions which they answered very thoroughly. Atm I have a problem with my normal laptop so cant get into my emails because I was going to copy and paste them on here for peoples information.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
My farmer neighbour caught Brucellosis several years ago, he was very poorly and in hospital for a long time. He is generally Ok now, but still has relapses when he is totally bedridden for several days in great pain and very ill. Horrible disease.

Something that I have wondered about, and really don't want to side track from the point of this very important and informative thread, but what happens to the various pets that have come into both Ireland and the UK with their Ukrainian owners? Do they go into quarantine? Are they tested for various diseases etc. Would be interested if anybody has an answer on that?

Last edited:

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Brucella in Dogs
Important Information
Dear practice client,
The UK has recently seen an increase in the number of dogs presenting with symptomatic Brucella canis. There are several species of Brucella which affect a wide range of animal species, including people. We have been screening cattle for Brucella infection for a number of years and have a national protocol in place to protect people from cross infection from cattle or cattle products such as milk.
Brucella canis is endemic in various countries including parts of the EU, the incidence in the UK is generally considered to be very low. It is mostly transmitted dog to dog by sexual contact. The most common symptoms affect the sex organs but sometimes the infection can cause inflammation elsewhere in the body, most commonly the spine causing severe spinal pain and paralysis.
Infected dogs pose a risk to humans, with vets (particularly during surgery) and lab staff (handling blood and urine samples) at highest risk. Although rare, the consequences of human infection can be very severe and can lead to death. Appropriate antibiotic treatment is normally successful in treating human patients.
Infected dogs can remain asymptomatic (not show any symptoms) and infection can be lifelong. It is not normally possible to cure the infection in dogs. Unfortunately, due to the risk to people, it is generally recommended that infected dogs are euthanised, especially if they have painful symptoms.
What should we do about Brucella canis?
Infection is rare in the UK but higher if the patient has been imported from another country or travelled. We require Brucella canis screening tests before carrying out any surgical or laboratory tests in all dogs that have been outside the UK.
It is helpful if we can take samples for testing before the patient is ill, as treatment may have to be delayed until results are back, which may worsen outcomes.
If your dog has been outside the UK please contact the practice to book a blood test to screen for Brucella canis.
Screening for other infectious disease may also be appropriate for if your dog has been imported from a higher risk country.
Dogs that are ill from Brucella canis normally present with the following symptoms although many dogs are asymptomatic:
Neck or Spinal Pain
Swelling and/or Pain in the testicles
Discharge from the Penis or Vulva
Infertility or abortion
Eye pain or inflammation (uveitis)
Any dog that presents to the clinic with these symptoms will be required to screen for Brucella canis
The cost of Brucella canis screening is typically around £80. This involves a simple blood sample, collected by the Vet or Vet Nurse. An initial Lateral flow test (LFT) normally gives a same day result which can allow some treatments to go ahead if the patient is considered low risk. The remaining sample is sent to APHA (part of the government Department for Environment and Rural Affairs) for confirmatory tests which can take several days to give results.
Small Animal Practice
Langford House
Langford
BS40 5DU
T: 01934 852 422
E: sap@langfordvets.co.uk
Copyright © 2022 Langford Vets, All rights reserved.

Langford charged around £80 for testing but I know other vets were quoting ridiculous amounts for this which is going to put a lot of people off. Its not compulsory for rescues to test for this but the responsible ones are because the disease is not uncommon.

Andie02

Visit site
My farmer neighbour caught Brucellosis several years ago, he was very poorly and in hospital for a long time. He is generally Ok now, but still has relapses when he is totally bedridden for several days in great pain and very ill. Horrible disease.

Something that I have wondered about, and really don't want to side track from the point of this very important and informative thread, but what happens to the various pets that have come into both Ireland and the UK with their Ukrainian owners? Do they go into quarantine? Are they tested for various diseases etc. Would be interested if anybody has an answer on that?

You are not the only one wondering about that Mrs Jingle ! It is a concern.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I was referring to the 2nd part of Mrs Jingle's post regarding the pets coming in from Ukraine !
My understanding is the Ukraine pets go into quarantine unless they have the paperwork to show they are vaxed etc which is highly unlikely because if you are fleeing for your life you dont pick up your dogs passport and vax card so they will be doing titre tests in quarantine etc.

Due to the high number of dogs in quarantine because of the refugee situation and all the dogs being seized from rescues who are none compliant quarantine space is running out so that was one of the reasons given for the current ban on commercial travel.

Clodagh

Visit site

Could anyone else who has adopted from brucella canis endemic countries please confirm if their vet has contacted them to arrange testing.
I know there are several people on here with foreign rescues, it’s a shame no one has answered. It would be interesting to find out if any vets actually are following protocol.

Redders

Visit site
We haven’t gotten as far as making it a policy yet because we are incredibly busy, but what I personally do, and what my boss supports, is any rescue from endemic areas coming for a check I discuss the disease, and recommend testing. I say I refuse to perform risky procedures without a negative test. Trouble is, there is often a lot to discuss in these appointments and adding a disease like that to the list means these appointments run massively over time - when really, it is the responsibility of the rescue, and in fact the owner, to research these things before adopting a foreign rescue. In one of these appointments I had a new owner tell me it was my responsibility to pay for the test because I wanted them, not her. Er, no.
also, we charge more than that for the bloods, we charge £20 ish for preparing the sample and taking the blood, but we don’t add anything on to lab fees - we charge what the lab charges us. Hardly extortionate, and really, people should research more before getting ANY pet, then they would be aware of not just Brucella, but even basic needs etc. Bane of my days is seeing suffering because of ignorance.
I have also had people tell me it’s ‘part of my job’ to be exposed to bites, and zoonotic disease and a risk I should just accept because it’s not their fault Fluffy has a communicable disease

Dobiegirl

Visit site
We haven’t gotten as far as making it a policy yet because we are incredibly busy, but what I personally do, and what my boss supports, is any rescue from endemic areas coming for a check I discuss the disease, and recommend testing. I say I refuse to perform risky procedures without a negative test. Trouble is, there is often a lot to discuss in these appointments and adding a disease like that to the list means these appointments run massively over time - when really, it is the responsibility of the rescue, and in fact the owner, to research these things before adopting a foreign rescue. In one of these appointments I had a new owner tell me it was my responsibility to pay for the test because I wanted them, not her. Er, no.
also, we charge more than that for the bloods, we charge £20 ish for preparing the sample and taking the blood, but we don’t add anything on to lab fees - we charge what the lab charges us. Hardly extortionate, and really, people should research more before getting ANY pet, then they would be aware of not just Brucella, but even basic needs etc. Bane of my days is seeing suffering because of ignorance.
I have also had people tell me it’s ‘part of my job’ to be exposed to bites, and zoonotic disease and a risk I should just accept because it’s not their fault Fluffy has a communicable disease

If your practice is incredibly busy why not send out emails to clients like mine did, Im sure if you contacted Langford they would be happy for you to use their email.

How much are you actually charging for the tests in total, like Langford you will have to charge for the bloods that are sent to the government lab but they will be charging the same to everyone.

You say its the responsibility of the rescue but there is the problem, a lot of the rescues are only interested in the money and have bent all the rules, their dogs are non compliant and wont all be vaxed in fact paperwork is falsified putting everyone including vets in danger. The government are fully aware of the problem but it is something they have yet to get a grip of.