Another horrible accident

popsdosh

Visit site
Dont be so quick to blame the truck driver until you know the facts!!! Very unfair!!!
It was well after dark and we do not know the circumstances im afraid.

Morag4

Visit site
An absolute tragedy but I do think that all parties need to take responsibility for considering if all other road users can see them and if they are going slow enough and driving careful enough to be able to stop in time. I would like to know what the final investigation into this tragic incident states.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Even if dark the photos show what looks like a very straight section of road.....Two people AND two horses should have been very visible in car headlights even if (we don't know about whether hi viz on) they weren't illuminated /hi viz at all.

Poor poor ladies and poor poor horses.

Luci07

Visit site
Photos are deceiving though. This could have been taken by a sharp corner, we just don't know. I would imagine it will turn out to be an unfortunate combination of events that caused this but my heart truly goes out to the women who survived and all the family and friends of the woman who died. Literally one moment and your life changes forever and I doubt it would have been something that was over quickly. Thoughts to all involved.

Ptolemy

Visit site
Even if dark the photos show what looks like a very straight section of road.....Two people AND two horses should have been very visible in car headlights even if (we don't know about whether hi viz on) they weren't illuminated /hi viz at all.

Poor poor ladies and poor poor horses.

I disagree here... the road was 2 way, if cars had been coming in the other direction it can make it very difficult to see anyone who isn't wearing high vis (although if cars had been coming in the other direction you'd hope they'd have seen something.)

I live in an area where a lot of people like to cycle, and not all of them are intelligent enough to wear high vis. One night I came across a guy on a bike, no lights, wearing black from head to toe. I literally didn't see him until I was about 10 yards away from him, if I'd have been going any faster I could have hit him, and I was by no means going fast at all. I was beyond furious.

Having said all of that, we know absolutely nothing about the circumstances, and I do admit that especially on long straight sections like the one shown in the photo, people can go at silly speeds.

angelish

Visit site
horrific accident :( really feel for the lady who survived you never get over something like that , just horrible

The field where the mares are at my yard is on the road side and instead of going through the mud they lead there horses along the road after 4pm in the dark with not a scrap of high viz
it is very difficult to see them until you are nearly on top of them and i agree with the poster who said that if a car was coming the other way you wouldn't have a chance of seeing them at all in the glare of head lights coming at you

funny thing is these people then hack out dressed like a xmas tree , go figure that one out :(

smirnoff_ice07

Visit site
This was local to me though I don't know the people involved. It's a pitch black road and unfortunately they weren't wearing any hi-viz. Tragic and makes you realise how vulnerable you are.

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
I knew the horses that were killed very well. One of them lived with me for a while. They were sensible ponies. I also knew the two women . They wouldn't normally have been moving the horses at that time but for circumstances that couldn't be avoided. They were heading to the field just down the road . They were/are sensible gentle women who were utterly devoted to their horses. I shall miss them and shall miss the ongoing reports of the ponies progress.