Another wwyd..

riding_high

Visit site
i would tell her to go buy her own.
you can get plenty of rugs brand new cheaper than 100 quid. ok they aren't the best/biggest named brand rugs but if she's so worried her horse can't go out then she would just get what she can afford.
there's a horse on our yard that is a known rug ripper, he isn't turned out with others unless the owners are made aware of his ways, if they are happy or their horses aren't rugged then he goes out with them.
my pony is a rug ripper............but only of his own, he winds up all the bigger horses and gets them to chase him and then they grab the rug and it rips, i could tell the other owners that i want them to repair it but the way i see it is that my pony has brought it on himself and after all horses will be horses.

Ginge Crosby

Visit site
had a similar situation on the yard recently, turned the new livery out with the small group, one of them took a dislike to new livery and spent a good while biting and chasing, all witnessed by myself, new livery and the other owner as we waited for them to settle down. Rug got trashed (many splits, I used to repair rugs for a living and tbh it could have been repaired but would have been cheaper to just buy a new cheap rug).
If I owned the horse who did the damage, I would either have offered to have it repaired, or I'd find a cheap 2nd hand rug (like £20 max!). But that is only if I witnessed what happened, and i would have felt responsible if it was my horse. As the case stood, new livery accepted it was part and parcel of horse ownership on a livery yard, so didn't make an issue out of it.
BUT if someone came to me and said 'your horse ripped my horse's rug' I wouldn't necessarily do this, as you have no proof. Horse could have done it on the fence, or snagged it on a hedge, or it could have been someone elses horse.
So if I were in your shoes, i'd probably offer a token amount (say £20) to put towards a new rug, but I wouldn't go any further. If she's desperate for a rug there's plenty of cheap turnouts for around £40 new, so she can make do with going halves on it.

Spring Feather

Visit site
It's irrelevant how the rug was damaged or by which horse. The owner chooses to keep her horse in the same field as other horses and these things happen. It is not your responsibility to buy her horse a new rug or to pay for the repairs. The horse is her responsibility if it's rug is damaged in whatever way then she is the one to pay the price. Surely your livery contract states this? This is the most basic rule on most yards; you, your horses, your equipment, vehicles etc are there at your OWN risk.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Tell her to jog on. Even if she has it on cctv with a dozen vicars as eye witnesses **** happens. If a horse is a perpetual daily rug ripper then you speak to the yo. Fwiw in 22yrs my mare has never ripped anyone's rugs, but has had a few bits of damage done by other horses & yet I've never expected the other owners to pay, horses will be horses.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Reading some of these answers from you militant lot makes me so glad to have my own yard lol x

Golly I have my own yard with many of my own horses and other peoples horses on it and I certainly would not be stumping up the cash to pay for damaged rugs and I don't expect any of my clients to stump up the cash for any rugs of mine that their horses trash! And there have been many over the years. I mend all rugs that are damaged here regardless of which horse did what or who they are owned by, I don't charge the owners for this because I happen to have an industrial machine and it's just my time ... but for any rugs owned by others which are damaged irrepairably, no I do not replace them. And it's hardly being militant; it's normal, common sense, VERY basic yard rules.

flitz02

Visit site
Im sorry but i too would tell her to do one ....altho' i understand it might not be easy to do this. £100 for a new rug she is having a laugh!!Tell her Derby house do some nice economy rugs for £40! & she'd be lucky to get that out of me!! She turns her horse out with others ...she takes the risk im affraid!!But like someone else has said if you bow down to her now she will always try it on with you in future! Definately have a chat to YO & double check where you stand hopefuly they will be on your side & the matter can be resolved without you having to cough up! Stand by your guns girl.xxx

DressageCob

Visit site
If this is the only time it's happened, then definitely tell her to jog on. It's just one of the risks of turning horses out.

However, if it is a frequent occurrence I would think about replacing a rug. I say this because at the start of the winter a horse in my field shredded 6 of my rugs within the space of two weeks. I bought a cheaper rug each time I replaced one but it still cost be about £300. In that scenario, if it were the other way round, I would have offered to contribute towards a new rug. It wasn't just one of those things in that situation though- this other horse was new and targeting my horse in particular. As soon as he saw him he'd jump on him and tear the rug. The worst occasion was when he ripped the front of my rug off, it twisted and my boy was stood effectively naked in the field on a frosty morning :( Not even so much as an "I'm sorry" from the owner. Not that she could control her horse's actions, but it would have been a nice gesture.

But as I said, if this is a one off, they were mutually playing then that's just one of those things. Tell her to get stuffed :D

TheoryX1

Visit site
Have had a livery try it on with me like this before. A lady who claimed DSS benefits, but who could afford to have 4 kids, a horse and two nice cars. Blamed my horse, told me it was a brand new Rambo that her horse was wearing. Now that was odd as we all know each others rugs and there wasnt a brand new Rambo hanging up on the rug racks/

I asked her for proof that it was my horse, ie did she see him do it (I would add its a bit out of character for my horse to do that as he is too lazy), asked for a receipt for a brand new rug, asked when it was and oddly enough my horse was stabled that day ..........

Told her to take a hike. Dont be taken for a mug.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
As I understand it, she hasn't even shown you this unrepairable rug, she's trying it on.

This.

The trouble is, if you ask for proof, the groom sounds like she is cahoots with her, and would probably back her up. Could your parents have a word with the YO with you - it sounds as though they're bullying you a little bit at this yard..

ps. I had a DIY livery who was a lovely lady, but her horse was awful, and it ripped ten rugs one summer attacking our ponies. We never asked her for a penny (but were glad when it left!!).

Love

Visit site
When my horses brand new, 2 day old rug got ripped badly by another horse, the other horses owner offered to replace it straight away but I wouldn't let her as it wasn't her that ripped it? It's not like the horse did it because she "hasn't trained it properly" it's just one of those things. If I was close to the owner maybe I would but it does sound as if she's trying her luck.

PandorasJar

Visit site
Tell her to try yo's public liability. Sure she won't have the nerve to push it... Or do you have anything damaged? Give her the bill for that :) she's absolutely trying it on. Get off that yard! X

Dumbo

Visit site
Thanks everyone! Decided I won't buy her a new one now. Both my non horsey parents are fuming about it and will talk to her if she pushes me into buying one. I admit, I'm quiet and a big push over.. Can imagine her moaning about her muddy rug and the groom telling her to make up the story :(
If I ask to see it I can almost guarantee she'll say she's binned it or at home. I'm going to refuse to hand over any money unless I see it and its not repairable.
Can't quote on my phone but to those saying I should move yards - I've had no luck looking for a new place. Everywhere is either too far, too expensive or I can't trust them to care for my horse.
Only 5 months more of this and I'll be on a gap year, he'll be moved to my village and it'll just be me and him. 166 days to go :D
Thanks for all the advice :)

corbleu

Visit site
Most definitely tell her to trot on! Wish I'd thought of that for all the times my lot came in with trashed rugs - could've saved myself a fortune! Sadly, it's part and parcel of horses being horses and if she doesn't want the rug to get damaged she should leave it in the tack room!

4leggedfurries

Sunny Somerset - surrounded by bare scorched field
Visit site
tell the cheeky cow to jog on. She chose to turn your horse out with hers, so her problem.

If your feeling charitable then by all means offer to have it repaired. I know you mentioned earlier that she said it wasnt possible, but I wouldnt believe her and any good rug repairer, no matter the state, would be able to repair it for a fraction of the cost of a new rug. Hell even I have managed to fix my horses rugs when they look like they have been attacked by edward scissor hands...

PandorasJar

Visit site
Tiburon... Do NOT say that to her! Maybe it is torn but unless witnessed by someone you trust it could have been done by another horse, fencing, tree, in stable... Already have been there etc.
Simply say that you won't be replacing it. They are already awful to you and am glad you will be moving him at gap year!
Out of interest have you had a new farrier up to look at his hooves, or chatted to current one?

You need to have a word with yo. With your parents. About the ym. The hassleyou are getting is really uunacceptable x

kerrieberry2

Visit site
would they pay your vet bill if their horse kicked yours? I doubt it? so why would you replace their rug? do they have evidence that your horse done it? if not, hes innocent until proven guilty! I'd tell them to do one!

pogface

Visit site
Glad your parents are taking that stance OP! Do not give a penny to that woman, be firm but polite when you tell her you won't be buying her a new rug and explain the reasons why. Then if need be you can get others involved to help fight your corner! She sounds rather unpleasant! Good luck, walk tall and tell her straight out. You can do it :)

Superhot

Visit site
...and what happens if you buy/give her a replacement rug, then the 2 horses mess about and the same thing happens???? If her horse had ripped your horses rug, would you be demanding a replacement? Can't stand bullies...

kinnygirl1

Visit site
You don't owe her a new rug - would you expect a new rug if her horse had ripped yours? Horses will be horses, rugs will always be ripped. Don't let her take advantage of you being young which is what it sounds like to me. As Amymay said - tell her to jog on....

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Yes, tell her to stroll on. I would absolutely not pay for a new rug, nor replace the ripped one.

She has accepted the risk of turning her horse out with another by - turning her horse out with another.

Totally.

I've been in this situation before and was told my horse ripped the rug of a horse he passed by on his way into the stable. The owner of the horse left me in no doubt he expected me to buy a new one and as he was a policeman I did.

What, cos he would arrest you otherwise? :rolleyes: Nothing to do with you or the fact that he was a copper: horses do that.

I couldn't give a crap which horse broke my horse's leg which meant he was PTS, I chose to turn him out with others. My problem, not the other horse owners.

Crumpet

Visit site
I wouldn't offer to replace it simply by her attitude, if her horse ripped your rug would she replace yours? I think not. What concerns me more, is that if she can't afford even a cheap rug for her horse, how would she manage a vet bill? Stand firm, there are too many cheeky bags around who think they can walk all over people.:mad:

Last edited:

Dumbo

Visit site
My mum is still fuming about it and just about had enough of the groom 'bullying' me. She says she will come up to the yard and have it out with them if they don't let it go and will open the can of worms about them betraying me over riding my horse etc. Really hope it doesn't come to that though as the next few months would be hell! I won't be buying anyone a rug though.
Urghhhh i hate the yard so much.

(Ps to save confusion, changed my username just because if said groom is on here she'll know instantly it's me!)