'ansom is as 'ansom does

cauda equina

Visit site
It seems a lot of money for something with a head like a chopping block
Still he sounds like a sweet person and I hope he finds a lovely home

buddylove

Visit site
Oh bless him, I wasn't prepared for that head either!!! I think if you could get some decent neck on him it could be a better, balanced picture ?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Eh, I've seen many a head in that shape, mostly on drafts, Iberians, or draft crosses. I don't think it has anything to do with the horse being medically sound or not. I think it is not necessarily a desired trait to have such a convex profile though, but it happens. My horse's sire is a bit far on the convex side and I'm actually disappointed that mine isn't as Roman as I would've liked. :p

Love a horse will a borderline ugly noble head!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I've seen clonking great bucket heads like that before. They definitely are not flattered by being hogged.

The thing that makes me more concerned is the part that says 'text reduced, ask for full advert' because I have seen this wording used on the ads of horses that move around between different dealers if they don't sell in one area of the country (including the infamous one in Essex). This may just be coincidence, but I would be wary and definitely vet with an independant vet and have bloods taken etc...

I don't like his back at the SI area. Hopefully just a dodgy photo. Definitely a weak four year old who needs to grow on and mature.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Just looked at him again. I actually think he's glorious. I wish I had that kind of money to spend and had some space right now! He's only 4. That neck is going to beef up and with correct work the back end (which yes looks a little weak at the moment) will follow. It'll all match up with that head and he'll be really striking.

I would also prefer if he hadn't been jumped much at all.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Shame about the head .
the bigger shame is the weakness in his back teamed with the fact he only canters on one leg .
the head would not put me off the canter thing would worry me .
It will a minimum of two years to develop him to be strong to take any proper work Developing that back will take a lot of skill .

eta I agree he should not be jumping at this stage

Apercrumbie

Visit site
If he were a hand smaller and I had the money, I would definitely take a look. He sounds like a lovely boy, just needs building up. He looks like he has a nice jump on him too from the pictures!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh I think he's lovely. Love a good Roman nose
Me too, I think he's smashing :)

Re all the negging: he's only 4 and will look like a different horse in a couple of years when the muscles start to rise and pack out his (massive) frame. He has "carty" hips - unsurprising in a draught-bred horse - and is long in the back, but with proper riding that back should fill in and strengthen. His neck is very well placed and nicely shaped, and will put on muscle as he matures, it is a trifle short 'tho.

His head is glorious! And contains, if the ad is accurate the most important thing about this horse; a lovely, peaceful temperament. I know far too many people who buy a pretty face and then have to deal with the accompanying neuroses that can often inhabit 'blood' heads.

With his ancestry and conformation he is hardly going to set the upper echelons of competition alight, so his shape is likely to suit his potential career path quite well. I'd buy him for jousting and film work if I was in the market.

Last edited:

Snowfilly

Visit site
Nothing wrong with that head, it’s a Clydesdale one! My old boy’s head was exactly the same. You just don’t ever want to hog that sort.

He’s a big young horse and he looks cart horsey at the back because he is. Let him grow slow, do loads of hill work to build the back end up and the neck will fill out as he grows.

If he’s sweet and quiet as they say, someone will have a wonderfuk

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Nothing wrong with that head, it’s a Clydesdale one! My old boy’s head was exactly the same. You just don’t ever want to hog that sort.

He’s a big young horse and he looks cart horsey at the back because he is. Let him grow slow, do loads of hill work to build the back end up and the neck will fill out as he grows.

If he’s sweet and quiet as they say, someone will have a wonderfuk
*Everyone should have a wonderfuk :D;)

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Ok...I guess I am the only one that would want to hog that sort! :p

I have seen some handsome Roman nose fellas that were hogged. It is not so much the head, but rather the neck. I only like a hog on a good nicely shaped well muscled neck. I think a hog can really compliment a nice necked Roman nosed horse. But like I said, I like that profile.