Anti-Zara feeling

Sooty

Visit site
Hang on a minute - golf? A sport? Surely it is either a) a good walk spoiled or b) tidying up. According to who you listen to... anyway, it's more of a game than a sport. Like tiddleywinks.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if you have read H&H, but both the Telegraph and the Guardian are very anti - the Guardian was downright rude quite frankly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to say this....but Darren Clarke will probably win because of the 'sympathy vote'. Nothing to do with his sporting prowess which is okay....but quite frankly not in the same league as winning both European and World Champs in the space of 2 years
shocked.gif
Golf is another elitist sport though....just not perceived in quite the same light as equestrianism....

siennamum

Visit site
Technically there are only 3 actual sports - hunting shooting and fishing. Everything else is actually just games
cool.gif
hehehe - although I would expect that eventing is close enough to hunting to count as one.

rach1984horse

Visit site
My old geography teachers view of golf was... Golf is for people who want a dog but dislike animals, and are generally too lazy to pick up a ball. Therefore they hit the ball and aim it for a hole sp they can pretend that there is a purpose to what they are doing. They can then chase after it themselves, without the need for a dog messing up their living room carpet at home... It's a walk in the countryside for people who don't want to get their feet dirty, but want to look like they have a puropse for being there...

Have to say his views on a lot of things were rather amusing. Why point at the board with a ruler when a baseball bat makes kids pay a lot more attention.

Nic

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe they classify darts as a sport

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something that really annoys me actualy!

OH thinks it's great fun to wind me up about it.

IT's NOT a sport!
mad.gif

P.s how are you? I was just thinking I hadn't seen you on for a while.

weevil

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hang on a minute - golf? A sport? Surely it is either a) a good walk spoiled or b) tidying up. According to who you listen to... anyway, it's more of a game than a sport. Like tiddleywinks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suppose many sports are more of a game then a sport. Though I don't particularly think of golf as a sport the only "sport" I have real issues with is boxing

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

P.s how are you? I was just thinking I hadn't seen you on for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fine, ta! Hope you had a fab 21st (you make me feel ancient!). Just getting my two back on the full fitness programme ready for the Arena Events. And trying to avoid thinking about Xmas!
smirk.gif

seza

Visit site
I for one will be voting like mad. It will be wonderful for all equestrian sports if she wins as most non horsey people can't tell the difference between the various disciplines. It's over 20 years since we have been in this postion of having the possibility of an equestrian person winnning and it would be great. Graham fletcher in this week's H&H sums it up very well.

teapot

Visit site
The Torygraph isnt that anti - remember all the letters came in after that bloke wrote in saying it was Toytown who won her the gold medal

And Lucinda Green also stood up for her

I hope she wins more for the coverage it'll bring to equestrianism as whole.

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Think a certain pressure halter, joining up, and barefoot, treeless etc!

[/ QUOTE ] That could be a couple of boards, please spill the beans here or pm me
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't see why horsepeople wouldn't want the sport represented in such a public arena by such a successful young sportswoman! Regardless of whether she's royal, she's done incredibly well for herself and IMO should be applauded for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I will be voting for Zara, I have been telling EVERYONE to vote for her.
She has worked really hard and has had a fantastic year, she definately deserves this AND it would be brilliant for equestrianism.

I so hope she gets it!!

Also, the other day the golfer was on the radio saying he doesn't want any votes that are being made because of his wife, even he said that this is a sporting award and she be awarded on sporting merit only.

[ QUOTE ]
I think Zara is a terrific girl and she has done soooo well. She doesn't deserve bad-mouthing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so annoyed about some of the bad press over this......if people want to place their vote elsewhere then fine. Equally it is fine to promote the person that you want to win but there is no need for people to be saying why Zara should not win - that is just foul play.

marmite

Visit site
i met zara and her mother years ago whilst i was a student at bishop burton i was competing and walking the course and i fell to bits i started crying screaming loosing my temper because i did not have a clue what i was doing i was nervous and lost the plot.
And she and her mother were so nice to me they took me through it step by step and i went on to go clear and with confidence i have also spent nights with them at horse trials i was grooming at and they are both lovley.

If i bump into them at certain events they go out of there way to say hello to me and ask how my ponies are doing they are THE most down to earth people anybody should have the pleasure of meeting.

I am crossing everything for zara because she works hard and she deserves the top wins because she works bloody long and hard to get it.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My old geography teachers view of golf was... Golf is for people who want a dog but dislike animals, and are generally too lazy to pick up a ball. Therefore they hit the ball and aim it for a hole sp they can pretend that there is a purpose to what they are doing. They can then chase after it themselves, without the need for a dog messing up their living room carpet at home... It's a walk in the countryside for people who don't want to get their feet dirty, but want to look like they have a puropse for being there...

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant, absolutely PRICELESS!!! Will have to tell my BiL and all my Uncles that
grin.gif

On the Zara front, I think she totally deserves it and anyone badmouthing her is simply jealous!

sunflower

Visit site
I saw a brief clip of an interview with Zara on breakfast tv this mornign and she came across really well (and her reaction when the interviewer said she might be on the new years honours list was brilliant). As for the sports personality award I suspect it will go to the golfer but really would like to see Zara win - not becasue of who she is or the sport but for what she has achieved.

RobinHood

Visit site
I know exactly which board you are talking about and yes some of the threads do amuse me, but on the whole they all do what they do because they percieve it to be in their horse's best interests which is fine by me.

I'll definitely be voting for zara because she has achieved things that are only achievable through talent and hard work, having all the money in the world doesn't make you the world eventing champiom.

vivhewe

Visit site
I have to fess up to being a Zara fan, so I obviously would love it for her to win the sports personality award, but even if she doesn't she won the world championships at 25 - if that isn't something amazing then I don't know what is. Most riders spend their whole life aiming for that and don't even come close!

Stella

Visit site
Okay, I came across the thread so I now know which board it is. I don't mind it generally, but the early posts on that thread were disgusting, fueled by envy I think (and I said so in a reply). It has taken a turn for the better though. Many posters challenging those views, more supporting her than critisizing her
smile.gif

Twiglet

Visit site
It did look like there was a bit of an HHO onslaught on there actually, definitely turned the tide a bit!

Glad to see Zara won last night - despite her saying 'amazing' about 8 times in her acceptance speed!

Good to see that talent and achievement are recognised somewhere along the line....