Any colour breeches for BD

expanding_horizon

Visit site
I have seen in rule changes, that BD are allowing any colour breeches from 1st December

Rule change wording - "Ref: Rule 83 Breeches / Jodhpurs Summary: Relaxation of colour restrictions Breeches or jodphurs should predominately be of a solid, single colour. Dark-coloured contrast seats are permitted. Striped or bold patterned breeches or jodphurs are not permitted."

Trying to work out what do next? I have 2 pairs of white breeches, but they are such a pain to keep clean. I have a navy waistcoat, and 2 blue competition jackets, and a blue grey tweed jacket.

I already own black, royal blue, and grey full seat riding tights. But I think all would look silly with existing navy jackets. Maybe the grey would be ok? Or the black?

Though as rule says - "In regular competitions, competitors may choose to ride without jackets. Members can wear a fitted waistcoat in any single colour, but these should not have bold patterns. Accents, such as a collar of a different hue, modest patterns (including pinstripes) or crystal decorations are permitted. Multicoloured coats, jackets or waistcoats are not permitted.A suitable long or short sleeved shirt of a solid colour that fastens at the neck with a tie, white round collar or correctly fastened stock must be worn."

I could get a navy short sleeved competition shirt, like this and wear with dark breeches and no jacket in summer - feels very radical!! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313146438073

Wishfilly

Visit site
I think grey and navy look nice together- it's a combination I often wear for work!

I agree that a short sleeved light coloured shirt with the navy waistcoat and navy riding tights could also look smart for summer.

millitiger

Visit site
It's a great move.
Being honest though, I'm not sure I'm brave enough to be one of the first 🙈

Also I agree @expanding_horizon I'm not sure dark jods will look good with my current navy jacket and brown boots- perhaps just what we are used to seeing though??

muddybay

Visit site
Same, I don't know if it's just what I'm used to seeing but I love the light jodphurs looks. BS have introduced it and it doesn't look the same in my opinion

smiggy

Visit site
I love the horse hoods with a dark seat , have just bought a dark seat but vanilla colour, not as canary as showing but more forgiving than white

Nicnac

Visit site
I'm just pissed off it's not starting until 1/1/24. I have BD on Sunday and my only warm winter breeches are navy and thermal tights are dark so will show under white breeches. Guess I'll just wear a pair of skin coloured old fashioned nylons to try and keep warm!

Squeak

Visit site
It will be a relief not having to stain remove pale jodphurs but I'm not brave enough to be one of the first to not wear them and I'm too used to seeing the pale with the dark jackets so think I would need others to show me the way and convince me that dark jods can look good. I've also just bought two new pairs of pale jodphurs and so I will be wearing pale jodphurs for a while longer 🙈

Surbie

Visit site
Riding club have had it for a while now and to be honest you see the odd one or two riders in dark breeches but 99% are white or beige.
I'm one of the odd ones out, not that I competed much this year. I have charcoal breeches that were paired with navy tweed. So much nicer and more flattering than beige, or the white I had for the black jacket.

Reacher

Visit site
https://www.horzehoods.com do the white jods with blue / black / grey seats but I quite like the lighter jods with dark jacket look - it's smart.

I could wear black breeches with my black jacket. I did that many years ago for a team event and it looked ok.
I’d love to see some photos of riders kitted out in competition gear with dark breeches for inspiration. ( I don’t do BD , just RC nowadays. Unfortunately I don’t think RC allow grey breeches) I have a black jacket and wondered how funereal black breeches and boots would look! It’s hard to get your head around when you’ve always worn light breeches!

(ETA I mean models on tack shop websites)

Last edited:

Bernster

Visit site
Same here, I’m struggling to know what I would wear. I have a navy jacket so light breeches would look better. I’m no fan of white/beige though as I only ever wear them for posh. But weirdly I think I will continue to wear them for a while unless/until I get inspiration for the navy jacket!

ETA errr hello!! The horzehood ones seem to do a navy contrast seat and no silicone - I like !!

Last edited:

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Personally I have no problem with navy & navy - it either matches or it's a tonal look. Otherwise navy & black always looks smart and I'm sure grey or a darker brown than beige would work too.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Same here, I’m struggling to know what I would wear. I have a navy jacket so light breeches would look better. I’m no fan of white/beige though as I only ever wear them for posh. But weirdly I think I will continue to wear them for a while unless/until I get inspiration for the navy jacket!

ETA errr hello!! The horzehood ones seem to do a navy contrast seat and no silicone - I like !!
Get grey they look nice with navy

Squeak

Visit site
As it's any solid colour I wonder if dark green or burgundy or brown would work with dark jackets 🤔 I reckon the grey might look best with the black jackets, agree with others who've mentioned it, would be great to see some photos.

Cloball

Visit site
If we were to start from scratch and design a kit for competing in/riding in what would we wear. I'm genuinely curious but I'll admit I'm not sure I know the origins of white breeches. Not that I'll be competing any time soon I do have some smart brown or olive suede seat breeches might go nicely with navy or maroon jackets.

I for one would redesign riding boots to be shaped more like a human foot. 🫣

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Maybe I'll wear my bright red breeches with my tweed jacket 😂
Will continue to wear dark beige/tan (quite practical) but I think this is a step in the right direction. I'm still traumatised from starting my first ever period at pony club camp whilst wearing white jods - and competing whilst 'on' is always more stressful in case anything shows. Other sports have moved with the times in allowing different coloured shorts/skirts etc beyond white for this reason. I think all navy or all black would look fine (similar to army/police uniforms, which people have competed in before anyway?)

expanding_horizon

Visit site
I'm just pissed off it's not starting until 1/1/24. I have BD on Sunday and my only warm winter breeches are navy and thermal tights are dark so will show under white breeches. Guess I'll just wear a pair of skin coloured old fashioned nylons to try and keep warm!

I thought rule book applied from 01/12/2023!