Any Foreign Breeds Fans?

tristar

Visit site
I have a 3/4 PRE 1/4 welsh B. Nothing sensible or level headed about him at all, complete lunatic half the time. He’s a cross between Peter Pan and the Artful Dodger in that at 14 he is still like a big foal, plays and pesters the others relentlessly, acts like he has never seen x, y or z before even though he might see them every day and he’s also cunning and sharply intelligent when it comes to escaping and stealing things. But he is my absolute best friend, light of my life, incredibly intelligent and trainable when it comes to tricks, Liberty work, bridleless riding etc. I may be a lot grey-er and more broken for having him but all other horses seem boring to me in comparison (totally bias of course).View attachment 43254View attachment 43255

very nice

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
My local riding school had a Norwegian fjord. This was pretty exotic back around 1990. I remember her being strong, but biddable and great fun. I now have a Norwegian friend with two; lots of words for different shades of dun in Norwegian apparently.

I also fell in love with Icelandics after riding on holiday over there. Stunning gaits, friendly, uncomplicated and all those pretty colours.

In New Zealand I rode a horse who'd been an extra in the Lord Of The Rings films. That's very exciting if you're a geek.

Snowfilly

Visit site
I would dearly love a proper ahkel teke and not one of the awful sports horse things they’re breeding in some places in Europe.

The local riding school has two fjords, they’re smart, clever and full of attitude. One also harrows the indoor school and pulls a cart round the village! Funnily enough they’re very different to ride, one (the non driver) has straight shoulders and a fairly draft horse action, the other one is long striding and smooth.

I love the continental draft breeds, always wanted a Bolounais (sp?) the french draft with Arab ancestry, the Noriker so I can combine spots with heaviness and the Dutch Draft because of the sheer size.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I wanted a Caspian, but couldn't find one.

There’s a British Caspian Society, I spoke to them one year at YHL. Most of the ponies for sale are older geldings and breeding mares and there are a few purebred stallions standing in Devon and one in Nottingham but I have never seen youngsters or foals for sale. I would imagine the gene pool is fairly limited which must make breeding a bit tricky.

Orangehorse

Visit site
What's he like temperament wise? They sound like neat horses

His attitude is always "what are we going to do today?" He was very well brought up at the stud and he is very amenable - unless I try to wash him in cold water, then he isn't afraid to threaten teeth and heels. Obviously there is that feisty streak underneath and I guess that if he had been bullied or mishandled he would fight back, which I think can happen to some Morgans.
I haven't done much jumping, but that is me, I have done dressage, Trec, showing, western and he was broken to drive as a young horse but I haven't got any driving stuff, and he is a bit big.

As an American said, who knows lots of course, "they are very forgiving of their rider's mistakes" which is also very true. Morgans just love to be taking part and are very friendly towards humans. Considering the low numbers, only hundreds, in the country they have been very successful in all sorts of competitions - individuals have been Grade B show jumper, Novice eventers, done well in Endurance, affiliated dressage, and driving of course when often qualify at Horse of the Year show and teams have won twice (different horses). I can't think of another breed that can do all this except possibly the Welsh D, and there are thousands of those.

Mine is rather lazy, but he does have his moments so I don't know if quite suitable for a novice rider because he can move very fast sometimes, although he has never, ever tried to get rid of me. I have fallen off of course, but more often I might have been dangling with my head by his knees and he has never made that final wiggle to get me off!

Sleipnir

Visit site
Your gelding is stunning !!!! ?

Thank you! He was very awkward when growing up and took a LONG time to mature (finished maturing only after 8yo), but boy I'm glad I bit the bullet and bought the ugly duckling that he was as a 5yo!

Ooo, never seen them before. Really smart.

I guess that the Latvian Carriage horses might really be not too known around the UK as I mostly hear about the Latvian WBs being exported to Finnish/Swedish riding schools and to jumpers/dressage riders across the road. The Carriage ones are very versatile, however and, if the rider likes a very intelligent horse that knows how to think on his own, they can be excellent allrounders. :)

texenstar

Visit site
I wanted a Caspian, but couldn't find one.

There is an awesome looking one for sale on here at the minute ;) go check it out!

I was lucky enough to have a little caspian whilst growing up. From what I have seen, a lot of them seem a bit too sharp as a kids pony but awesome for everything else/the right kid :)

KEK

Visit site
His attitude is always "what are we going to do today?" He was very well brought up at the stud and he is very amenable - unless I try to wash him in cold water, then he isn't afraid to threaten teeth and heels. Obviously there is that feisty streak underneath and I guess that if he had been bullied or mishandled he would fight back, which I think can happen to some Morgans.
I haven't done much jumping, but that is me, I have done dressage, Trec, showing, western and he was broken to drive as a young horse but I haven't got any driving stuff, and he is a bit big.

As an American said, who knows lots of course, "they are very forgiving of their rider's mistakes" which is also very true. Morgans just love to be taking part and are very friendly towards humans. Considering the low numbers, only hundreds, in the country they have been very successful in all sorts of competitions - individuals have been Grade B show jumper, Novice eventers, done well in Endurance, affiliated dressage, and driving of course when often qualify at Horse of the Year show and teams have won twice (different horses). I can't think of another breed that can do all this except possibly the Welsh D, and there are thousands of those.

Mine is rather lazy, but he does have his moments so I don't know if quite suitable for a novice rider because he can move very fast sometimes, although he has never, ever tried to get rid of me. I have fallen off of course, but more often I might have been dangling with my head by his knees and he has never made that final wiggle to get me off!
Great description, thanks! Wow very impressive allrounders from what you say. He sounds fab!

Palindrome

Visit site
I would dearly love a proper ahkel teke and not one of the awful sports horse things they’re breeding in some places in Europe.

The local riding school has two fjords, they’re smart, clever and full of attitude. One also harrows the indoor school and pulls a cart round the village! Funnily enough they’re very different to ride, one (the non driver) has straight shoulders and a fairly draft horse action, the other one is long striding and smooth.

I love the continental draft breeds, always wanted a Bolounais (sp?) the french draft with Arab ancestry, the Noriker so I can combine spots with heaviness and the Dutch Draft because of the sheer size.

There is a market with Boulonnais horses for sale every year, about 1 hour or 2 from me. You should visit and come back home with a nice youngster. It's only about 1 hour and a half on the ferry and then 1-2 hours drive in the French countryside.

Courbette

Visit site
All gorgeous horses, there were more on here than I thought.! I have ridden PRE's, Lusitanos, an Alter Real, an Icelandic, Arabs, Lipizzaner's and Friesians by deliberately having lessons at places that I knew had these horses as I love Iberians and these are my 'bucket list horses'. I've also been able to try a couple of haflingers, an appaloosa, a morgan and a QH by being in the right place at the right time. I had always wanted to ride a morgan and my RI trained two but they weren't suitable for me, then a few years later I moved to a livery yard where a lady on there had one and let me try him. I have had 2 Friesians on loan and helped with a part-bred PRE.

The only drawback I found was on the odd occasion I got to go showing there was quite often me in the ring in the foreign breeds class which was disappointing. A lusitano would be my dream horse and I'd also love to ride a gaited saddlebred.

My last loan horse:

IMG_0247.PNG

Palindrome

Visit site
IMG_3458.JPG

This is my French trotter, not very exotic but he is a useful sort and a sweetheart. My other 2 are British even though I didn't really look for British horses.

IMG_2736.jpg

palo1

Visit site
I have an arab x appalloosa who is probably the best horse I have ever ridden. We like arabs and their part breds a lot here but I also have a Welshie - not exotic at all!! My spotted gentleman is by a Capital stallion out of an Egyptian Arab mare :) Here is his handsomeness!!

Attachments

• IMG_20190624_194347 (2).jpg
    IMG_20190624_194347 (2).jpg
    950.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20190621_170925.jpg
    IMG_20190621_170925.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 15