Any good supplements for sloppy poo !!

meesha

Visit site
Hi all.

Another hack today which involved being rained on lol.

Baggins has always had loose ish poo, can get even more loose when excited. He's a good weight, dappled coat, bright and alert, good teeth, feet ...

Currently fed dryish haylage at night as coughs on hay. Also has a mineral lick which both he and the pony use. Out at grass in day (paddy fields with all this wet) in at night.

He doesn't need a feed but wondered about a prebiotic or something that might firm said poo up slightly (it's not cow pat just sloppier than it should be) ? Just to add pony has normal poo so not diet related I don't think.

I do feed polos ... Which I think I will stop ... But he has had loose poo since I've owned him (8 yrs).

Any comments, suggestions?

Thanks all

meesha

Visit site
Thanks, he's like it on grass, on hay, on haylage...

Might give the protexin a go ... Just wondered if some of his occasional anxiousness/excitability is due to gut issues...

meesha

Visit site
Saw the gut sponge too, wonder if there's much difference !! He's 16h . How big a tub would I need do u think to see if any benefit ?

meesha

Visit site
Blimey !!! Will definitely try the gut sponge, with all this wet grass they r understandably more sloppy than usual.

He will be overjoyed to get a feed again lol, just need something to put it in as he can cough on chaff... Maybe Spillers speedy mash fibre, he, will only get a splodge big enough to take the supplement.... But I know he eats that...

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Echo what the others say, mine have Protexin gut balancer daily & then a shot of quick fix if they have any upsets. Not used the gut sponge though, how does it differ from the balancer out of interest?

tristars

Visit site
Thanks, he's like it on grass, on hay, on haylage...

Might give the protexin a go ... Just wondered if some of his occasional anxiousness/excitability is due to gut issues...

can work the other way, anxiety can cause loose poo

protexin is good

Boughtabay

Visit site
A ‘panic poo’ as I like to call them is often a sloppy poo so not to be worried about really. Regularly loose poos more than soft can be down to haylage - some find it stronger than others. Sudden onset very loose poos are an emergency and don’t let the vet fob you off (doesn’t sound like that though). Natural yoghurt is meant to be a good binder too if you can get your horse to eat it 😂

expanding_horizon

Visit site
. Sudden onset very loose poos are an emergency and don’t let the vet fob you off (doesn’t sound like that though).

Sudden onset very loose poos caused by a stressful situation e.g. fireworks locally, or all friends being out of sight, are not a vet emergency and should quickly resolve once stress cause stops. Unexplained and unresolved sudden change in bowel movements (in horses or people) is a medical issue to be taken seriously.

TPO

Visit site
I use the Gut Balancer but had some, pretty serious, digestive issues and Gut Sponge helped.

Then after hospital I've had some consexcutive sloppy days so have fed Gut Sponge for a handful of days along with Gut Balancer.

The hospital know he was getting both supplements

meesha

Visit site
Thanks all, he's always been loose, it's only slightly looser than it should be day to day so will try the gut sponge.

Will report back on any change!! Be nice to have a clean tail for once too.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Our mare has had sloppy poop for about 2 weeks, it always firms up after being stabled and as lib hay… yet as soon as she has come in after being out at grass it’s really loose again.

This week it’s been drier and her poops are fine again, I honestly think the swamp like grass conditions are to blame in her case!

Boughtabay

Visit site
Sudden onset very loose poos caused by a stressful situation e.g. fireworks locally, or all friends being out of sight, are not a vet emergency and should quickly resolve once stress cause stops. Unexplained and unresolved sudden change in bowel movements (in horses or people) is a medical issue to be taken seriously.

I did explain quite clearly that panic poos (caused by a fright) are different to very loose poos happening all over a sudden. If there’s no external fright cause then watery poos are a medical emergency in horses, as recently experienced with a horse who died within <48hrs of very bad diarrhoea beginning.

Fire sign

Visit site
Hi all.

Baggins has always had loose ish poo, can get even more loose when excited. He's a good weight, dappled coat, bright and alert, good teeth, feet ...

Currently fed dryish haylage at night as coughs on hay. Also has a mineral lick which both he and the pony use. Out at grass in day (paddy fields with all this wet) in at night.

He doesn't need a feed but wondered about a prebiotic or something that might firm said poo up slightly (it's not cow pat just sloppier than it should be) ? Just to add pony has normal poo so not diet related I don't think.

I do feed polos ... Which I think I will stop ... But he has had loose poo since I've owned him (8 yrs).

Thanks all
Am afraid you may have to swap the haylage for soaked hay .. have had two horses who just couldn’t tolerate haylage .. the eventual solution was protexin gut balancer and soaked hay

meesha

Visit site
Gut sponge ordered. His poo is always slightly loose, all year, only slightly. With t
Am afraid you may have to swap the haylage for soaked hay .. have had two horses who just couldn’t tolerate haylage .. the eventual solution was protexin gut balancer and soaked hay
He's been on haylage and hay over the years, no difference in poo on either. Since last year can't feed hay due to cough, even soaked hay makes him cough. My haylage is damp, nice but not rich, not one cough on it.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi all.

Thanks all
Which haylage are you feeding??? The purple Timothy is the lowest type.

Pink powder always works on mine.

Pre Biotic I use Baileys on my pony as can't feed probiotic.

Jambarissa

Visit site
Longer term I've found oily herbs have settled mine.

Short term (hopefully!) I have the same problem with my new one. Researched all the supplements. Actions are basically :
Dry up the poo (so treat symptom not cause)
Pre biotics to feed good bacteria
Pro biotics to introduce more good bacteria
Stuff to sooth the intestinal tract.

Protexin quick fix worked well at full dose (1/3 syringe per day) but back to sloppy in days.
Bentonite clay and psyllium are the active ingredients in drying up the poo, gut sponge, ultimate ease, firm up etc are mainly these plus pre/pro biotics. You feed a lot of it, like a whole cup per feed, so can't be hidden in a handful of chaff, I soak hay nuts.

My new horse has had the stress of moving home, changing diet several times (grass to hay to drier haylage), worming and restarting of vacs so it could be anything.

I have seen most difference with psyllium husk powder, can get on amazon for £12 per kg, need 50g a day, but it's just treating symptoms.

The most interesting info I've had is about quantity and type of fibre they're eating. Apparently cellulose is good for absorbing water and is found in earlier cut hay/haylage. The fibre in later cut stuff (name escapes me) isn't as good. You also need to make sure they're getting enough fibre. I think it's a very difficult balance for those of us trying to manage weight or lami risk.