Any 'Happy Hackers' on here?

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I know that lots of people own horses because they enjoy competing in various disciplines, but what I personally love most about horses is going on lovely rides in nature with them, grooming and chatting to them, doing the daily yard chores etc. I enjoy bettering my riding through schooling but am not so attracted to competition environments and don't care about winning.

I'm just curious as to how many horse owners on here own horses purely for the love of spending time with them (maybe even some people own horses but don't ride at all?) I am yet to own my first horse but I think I would qualify as a 'Happy Hacker' who would also enjoy liberty work/learning about natural horsemanship. Casual riding clubs look really fun too though and like a great way to make new friends :)

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Hate that term - IMO hacking requires skill & nerve in spades not just happiness ? but yes I hack as often as possible.
Also ride & lunge in arena & use our all weather gallop.
Would love to show but Madam is a bit of a space cadet & it's not on the cards atm - maybe when she's older & wiser (not likely as she's 11 now & still as reactive as ever).
Good luck if you decide to own one day ?

Griffin

Visit site
I don't hack very much but I am not bothered about competing. I do dressage for pleasure with my mare because she loves lateral work. We also do quite a lot of in hand work too.

I just love spending time with horses and caring for them. I have my mare but I also care for an elderly mare and gelding too and I love it when they greet me at the gate.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Hate that term - IMO hacking requires skill & nerve in spades not just happiness ? but yes I hack as often as possible.
Also ride & lunge in arena & use our all weather gallop.
Would love to show but Madam is a bit of a space cadet & it's not on the cards atm - maybe when she's older & wiser (not likely as she's 11 now & still as reactive as ever).
Good luck if you decide to own one day ?

Ahaha I know what you mean, you have to be very alert when hacking, as horses can so easily be spooked or behave differently in open spaces. I guess I just favour riding in nature over riding in man-made arenas - there is something really magical and humbling about riding horses in beautiful locations.

Obviously there are so many benefits to schooling too, so it isn't either or, but I'm just not attracted to the idea of competing. Maybe it's because I have a high stress job, so I want horsey stuff to be more 'chill' without the added pressure of pleasing some judges :)

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I don't hack very much but I am not bothered about competing. I do dressage for pleasure with my mare because she loves lateral work. We also do quite a lot of in hand work too.

I just love spending time with horses and caring for them. I have my mare but I also care for an elderly mare and gelding too and I love it when they greet me at the gate.

I love the sound of your horsey lifestyle, it sounds just perfect. I've never done any in hand work and am intrigued. I really like the idea of just taking my (future) horse for a little walk on the lead rope on a woodland trail - I don't know if that sort of thing is common because I guess most people would always ride, but I wonder if there could be something quite lovely about just walking side by side together :)

Griffin

Visit site
I love the sound of your horsey lifestyle, it sounds just perfect. I've never done any in hand work and am intrigued. I really like the idea of just taking my (future) horse for a little walk on the lead rope on a woodland trail - I don't know if that sort of thing is common because I guess most people would always ride, but I wonder if there could be something quite lovely about just walking side by side together :)

Thank you, I have a stressful job, so it's lovely to spend time with horses just relaxing with them.

I have taken horses on walking hacks in hand when I have kept them in quieter villages and my instructor long reins hers down bridleways. It's a really nice thing to do if you can find somewhere quiet.

I do in hand in the school, walking over poles, doing lateral work in hand (because it is easier to see what they're doing with their legs) and stretching (they love carrot stretches).:)

Equi

Visit site
My favourite days include not riding. I ride when I get the notion or when I have a lesson planned but I don’t have a horse because I want to ride, I ride because I feel like it. The feeling I get from just grooming, massaging, doing Liberty work etc is just as satisfying.

Willowbankstables

Visit site
I totally agree; hacking horses out in beautiful countryside can't be beaten! Also have a very stressful job so it's (usually) good for relaxation. I find showing/ competing so stressful (only tried a couple of times), even so far as down to worrying about whether you're wearing the right thing/ horse is plaited correctly blah blah. All that nonsense is deffo not for me!

Micky

Visit site
Love hacking, but hacking where I am is limited unless you have transport, but you def have to be on the ball hacking, I can’t stand the degrading looks you get when you say you ‘just’ hack...I used to compete locally, and have done pleasure rides (which are fab on a horse that’s that doesnt jog for hours ??) but now my boy is older, it’s great to just go out and enjoy the ride and headspace.

silv

Visit site
NO reason why you cannot do both. I compete at dressage and showing and also love doing overnight and day treks, hacking out with my friends, just being with the horses really. Much better for the horses to have variety in their work too. However I am aware that some do have horses who hate hacking. Mine both love it.

scats

Visit site
I hack far more than I school. I love schooling, but I think it does them the world of good to have variety. I also compete low level dressage for fun.
I also detest the ‘happy hacker’ phrase. It takes a lot more guts and ability to take a horse out and about than it does trotting round the safety of a school.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Me too, I just Hack 3/4 times a week and spend lots of time at the yard, with poo picking, paddock management, bathing Barney and making him look nice. I did do lots of hunting in the past but haven’t been for last three years so doubt I will go in the future, I prefer to ride at a leisurely pace theses days. He’s happy I’m happy, when he eventually can’t be ridden I’m happy for him to just enjoy his retirement and I will enjoy his company, horses are my Valium of life

huskydamage

Visit site
Me! I mostly hack out as I don’t have my own transport and my boy can’t balance in a trailer

Hahs sounds like me, I do compete a bit but hack my horse to everything. I can never get my head around the ampunt of people I meet who do amazing stuff at comps/in the school but poo their pants going for a short hack. I'll go anywhere and everywhere on my horse. Sometimes out for 5/6hrs.
I do like just hanging out with them to, they make me laugh with their antics. If ive had a bad day at work or something i sit in the field a bit and watch them, they usually come over to 'inspect' me or groom ?

J&S

Visit site
I prefer the term: "riding out" to hacking. I have ridden out and about for many years on all terrains and competed at Endurance and Trec. One covers probably thousands of miles in a life time,i would not have missed it for the world. however, to do this "happily" one needs a well schooled and balanced horse/pony and this can be done in conjunction with the riding, on and off road, it doesn't need to be done in a school.

Gift Horse

Visit site
Me! I love hacking, schooling and jumping.
I am not a competitive person in anyway and I haven’t had transport for years.
That said, thanks to my trainer I have been getting out and about to use show jump/xc courses and I do fancy having a crack at a combined training or a ode.
Horse is pretty fit - I hack a lot and with purpose ?

Widgeon

Visit site
Yep me too. The reason I bought a horse as to hack, we don't do much else. We do have transport so we get out a fair bit hacking in little groups as well as riding straight out from our yard. Tbh though, unless you're very lucky it's quite rare that you can just meander through a wood for hours on lovely soft tracks - there are usually gates that the farmers have closed with rusty nails to get rid of walkers / riders, cows and calves to avoid, loose dogs, rubbly steep bridleways worn away by mountain bikes, fords etc. It's great fun and with a sensible horse negotiating all that lot is very satisfying (and there are usually beautiful views and long canters to make up - we're on the edge of the NY moors) but it's not exactly like the Saddle Club where they just seem to stroll around in the woods for hours!

P.S. If anyone DOES happen to live somewhere they can meander through a wood for hours on lovely soft peaceful tracks, I don't want to know :p Unless I can come and visit you.

Last edited:

Sealine

Visit site
I hack 5 days a week on my own or with friends. I also do fun rides and a bit of gentle hunting and the odd hunter trial. My horse is 19 and I don't school him as it aggravates his arthritis and he never did enjoy it anyway. In the past we competed across all disciplines, did lots of clinics etc but as my work has got busier and more stressful and both of us have got older we're both happy to slow down and just have fun. He's a fantastic horse to hack and I love being out in the countryside and hacking with friends and having a good catch up. Over the last 18 months hacking has been a great way to spend time with friends and feel 'normal'.

tristar

Visit site
one evening years ago, after a stressful day, i was riding on my mare ploddingly along some tree lined tracks, and as i turned for home the smell of the earth after the harvest was so strong and it was just getting dark, i turned to my friend and we both said the same thing, this is wonderful

never will forget that moment in my horsey life

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I am and have been 'just' a happy hacker for at least 10 years now. I have had a go at most disciplines including showing, never at a particularly high level as I simply don't have that competitive edge in me, plus of course I probably wasn't good enough anyway lol! . Now I only have my retired mare and my riding horse and he is currently on his holidays with his ex owner until next spring when, hopefully, I will have had both my hips replaced. It will be a total of 18 months since I last rode so as I am now in my 70s I have some worries about being able to get back into it when the time comes. But I am a determined old biddy so hopefully I will get there eventually.

one evening years ago, after a stressful day, i was riding on my mare ploddingly along some tree lined tracks, and as i turned for home the smell of the earth after the harvest was so strong and it was just getting dark, i turned to my friend and we both said the same thing, this is wonderful

never will forget that moment in my horsey life

Tristar your post really resonates with me so much. One day last July, in a great deal of pain from my knackered hips I managed to struggle onto my horse yet again, It was becoming more and more painful and difficult for me.

Anyway, off I went for a lovely hack and on the way back down the track to home I had a sudden feeling of such gratitude and pure joy enjoying the sense and feel of being up there on my big tank of a horse, happily striding out and heading for home through beautiful countryside. I was ruminating over how lucky I have been to be able to ride for nearly 70 years and it occurred to me how heartbreaking it would be if I, or any other rider, could know that this would be their last ever rider, and how I would not like to know that, ever.

Would you believe that WAS my last ride, two days later my right hip gave way on me and I just could not even get on him, let alone ride anywhere. I have always thought that a little spooky, having those thoughts on what did really turn out be our last ride! I am hoping next spring he will come home and I WILL hack out again, and yes I will still be 'just' a very happy hacker, and very, very proud and grateful to be so.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i love hacking on a good hacking horse :) My old mare was a fabulous hack, really brave, jolly and curious about the world and she was a lot of fun. Current ridden horse is the polar opposite, she thinks hacking is the pits so we just don't particularly push the issue any more. Hoping my 3yo will like getting out and about.

Salrose

New User
Visit site
I only hack, nothing else, as I've no interest in competing and just love having horses in my life. We're lucky to live in an area with quiet roads, though very few decent bridleways. I often ride with my husband and we either ride from home on the roads or box the horses to forestry. We meander through the lovely hilly countryside for 2 to 4 hours, about half way round, somewhere there's a wide verge or gateway, we get off and let the horses graze and forage (they're ridden bitless) while we have the tea and snacks we've brought with us :Dthen we head back home.

I love the bond you get hacking, seeing what they look at, building confidence by getting past scary situations, meeting people out walking or in their gardens. We're probably not 'Proper' riders, we allow cocassional snacking along the way and for speed go with how they are feeling, some days long trots and verge canters, some days mainly walk. Love it:)

Antw23uk

Visit site
Me as well. Love hacking with the odd schooling session and RC poles clinic and the odd 'fun' ride. I school mostly to build strength and suppleness which allow me safe hacks knowing my horse can listen to me, obey commands to make life easier (gates/ getting on and off climbing on anything available) and have the strength and correctness to pop the odd log out and about

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
We currently have 5 and none are ridden now. When I did ride I had some lessons here and there (needed them, my mare was tricky and in the end was retired early) but hacking is and always will be my main interest. One day I'd like to do a bit of everything, when I have the mount and the time and money, but I do also enjoy just keeping horses, looking after them and spending time with them.

I am fortunate that I sell riding holidays for a living and when not in a pandemic I have many opportunities to get my riding fix on adventures abroad. This has given me extra appreciation of hacking/trail riding as I've clocked hundreds of hours just riding through the countryside (although this has also put me off hacking at home, even if I could, as the routes here are not great by comparison). Hacking is the best escape from the stresses of daily life for me... I can ride all day and not really tell you afterwards what I was thinking about! I was just enjoying the company of the horse, looking at the flowers, spotting birds and wildlife. Horseback is the perfect way to really experience a place too, you really 'feel' the landscape and the climate, the nature and the views, when you are travelling by horse.

humblepie

Visit site
I compete quite a lot but also enjoy hacking and spending time with my horse. I quite often go to shows on my own so spend a lot of time at shows just chatting to him or sitting on the ramp of the lorry whilst he eats. I talk to my horse all the time and am sure I drive others up the wall! Good luck with finding a horse and hope you have lots of fun

planete

Visit site
Unhappy hacker here! I have spent a year now trying to instil the basics and reckon we are ready to ride out on our own. His majesty disagrees, particularly this morning. I blame myself actually, my sensitive coblet does not like me getting impatient and when he needs to look at something like a dead piece of wood or a cow peeping from behind a bush I should know better than to push him on before he is ready. But yes, i just love everything about horses and do not need competitions to enjoy them.