Any new developments in grazing muzzles? What's best right now?

Jambarissa

Visit site
I've rarely needed to muzzle but little cob has been in more than usual this winter and is looking far too good.

What's the latest in grazing muzzles? Last time I used flexible filly was deemed best but it was very hard to stop him eating out the sides. Before that I think I've had a green guard but horse hated it and would go though the hedge to get back to his stable.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m not aware of anything else exciting sadly.
I’m still going to be using my FF muzzles this year, they are still the best I’ve tried and the ones my ponies are happiest in.
I too have the same eating out of the side problem it’s a pain but a compromise between the misery of a regular muzzle and not wearing one at all, it also allows me to keep the group together and not have ponies busting through fences all the time

Highmileagecob

Visit site
I used a Tough 1 Easy Breathe imported from USA. Expensive, but lasted three summers, so really not that bad. Some of the muzzles available here are now based on the Tough 1 profile. I liked it because it fitted well, any bits that rubbed were easy to pad, it came with it's own headcollar and was tolerated well from day one and didn't have to join the pile of trashed and torn models. The Ultimate is very similar, but sits too high up the face for my liking.

Time for Tea

Visit site
Flexible filly for my Foresters. Seems to be well tolerated, for two. I just have to keep replacing the cable ties for the third, who busts them off on fence posts. They all have breakable sections on their headcollars.

lucy_108

Visit site
Flexible Filly all the way. I've tried so many with my little dude and he is definitely the happiest in the FF - we have the least rubbing, if any at all and it doesn't damage his tiny teeth either. The eating out the side thing is a bummer, but I always think they are still getting less than if the didn't have one on. I did get the headstrap changed to a more padded one as I didn't love the leather on his little head all the time.

TheHairyOne

Visit site

My sisters 2 fat cobs have been happiest in these (other retailers avaliable). I like the nose holes and the fact the rest of it isnt made of plastic.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Little A does very well in a Dinky ponies one.

However, she's been in one at night just about all winter (2 swapping about so as to dry in between) and both have got very worn through now as both over 2 years old.
As of tonight, she is sporting a brand new one, one of a pair I bought last August.... she is NOT impressed!

dreamcometrue

Visit site
The flexible filly is the best in my experience. If your horse is eating out of the sides then it hasn’t been fitted properly. You need the hole to be almost on the horses lips when it’s head is up so that when it presses on the ground to graze there is no bulging out of the sides. Perhaps tie the muzzle to the headcollar on lower holes.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Easy Grazer, but you have to order it from Germany, and it’s an alarming price.
Holy sh**

I saw the photo first and instantly thought they look really good and that I’d give one a try…. Then I saw the price tag 😳
I struggle a bit with the FF price!

Has anyone used one? The flexible fillies do tend to wear over time. I wonder how much more durable long term this is.
I have a 17 yr pony so it would be worth it if it lasts really well as he has a lot of summers to hopefully see out yet!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The flexible filly is the best in my experience. If your horse is eating out of the sides then it hasn’t been fitted properly. You need the hole to be almost on the horses lips when it’s head is up so that when it presses on the ground to graze there is no bulging out of the sides. Perhaps tie the muzzle to the headcollar on lower holes.
I have and mind still manages to pull it wonky, sometimes actually using a hoof to do so.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I’m so unsure about grazing muzzles. I imagine the flexible fillies one get hot, I don’t like the thought of clear plastic on sunny weather. That new Shires one looks like an instrument of torture- I’d be worried about air flow. The old shires ones were bad enough. I’ve been happy with my green guard one, but it’s heavy. The Easy grazer looks nice and light with good airflow, but yes it’s expensive. I’d be worried about it catching on something and breaking. It’s so hard! (Choosing a good one)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m so unsure about grazing muzzles. I imagine the flexible fillies one get hot, I don’t like the thought of clear plastic on sunny weather. That new Shires one looks like an instrument of torture- I’d be worried about air flow. The old shires ones were bad enough. I’ve been happy with my green guard one, but it’s heavy. The Easy grazer looks nice and light with good airflow, but yes it’s expensive. I’d be worried about it catching on something and breaking. It’s so hard! (Choosing a good one)
I’ve always been the same. However I can walk up to my pony in the field and catch him in the flexible fillies one, he’d run a mile if I approached with a bucket muzzle.
He’s also a lot happier with it on and being turned out with the others instead of restricted or in alone.
He has always been utterly miserable in all other muzzles. I think it’s a case of finding the right one for the horse.
If I turned him out now in any variation of regular muzzle he would spend the entire time desperately trying to get it off. I turn out now and he just wanders off and grazes

Nasicus

Visit site

My sisters 2 fat cobs have been happiest in these (other retailers avaliable). I like the nose holes and the fact the rest of it isnt made of plastic.
This is the one I used last year, or rather, the one that didn't get constantly removed by houdini pony! It did rub the bridge of her nose a bit, so I sewed some padding on there which worked lovely.

nettle

Visit site
Have you used this? The price is bonkers, but it does look the least sweaty, and allows the whiskers to be free.
Yes I have and it’s fabulous. Well as fabulous as a muzzle can be. Lightweight non sweaty and doesn’t damage teeth. Had to sew a little bit of sheepskin on the headpiece as it rubbed a bit, but friend had two horses in these where they didn’t rub at all.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes I have and it’s fabulous. Well as fabulous as a muzzle can be. Lightweight non sweaty and doesn’t damage teeth. Had to sew a little bit of sheepskin on the headpiece as it rubbed a bit, but friend had two horses in these where they didn’t rub at all.
Did you buy from Germany? Is that the only place?
Have any of your horses (yours and your friends) managed to get them off? I take it the halter is part of it not like the flexible fillies where you fix the muzzle to the head collar? Sorry for all the questions!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I posted on a laminitis page asking if anyone else had used the Easy Grazer and someone mentioned this as being similar.
This also looks like it might be good perhaps 99511D87-BB53-4AC2-91B9-9AF7F5735926.jpeg

I’d like to see it in reality to see what the grazing area is like.