Any night owls out there??

2ndtimearound

Visit site
OH can do all of the techie stuff, and I made my own imprint on the last one. So we're good in that department. If you know anyone who can help with marketing, on the other hand.... That's where I really struggle.

I also find copy-editing/proofreading challenging, as my eyes and brain just glaze over typos no matter how many times I reread it. It's odd. Relying on MS Word spellcheck to pick stuff up, but any suggestions?

Re the marketing, quite a few publishing companies will offer marketing services and that would probably be your best bet. You can do it yourself via social media, etc., but it’s not recommended unless you really know what you’re doing. You could try getting a quotation from Troubador publishing for marketing (I do a lot of copy-editing for them - I’m freelance so I work for a few publishers, but not all do marketing).

And re the copy-editing/proofreading, actually, it’s not odd at all that you're struggling to spot your own errors. Everyone does this. When you are so close to something and have read it so many times, you do start to glaze over. Also, because you know the story (even if it’s non-fiction) so well, you’ll know what you meant to write, but that might not actually be what you’ve written! You could try reading backwards one sentence at a time or reading out loud, which may help. There are also other pieces of software that can help with some things (PerfectIT is good for checking consistency of language - I use it all the time).

To be honest, though, your best bet by far is to get someone else to copy-edit and proofread it for you (a professional if you can afford it, but a grammatically inclined, willing friend is better than not at all or only doing it yourself).

Hope that helps!

jojo5

Visit site
I’m an editor, and know that, when I am losing concentration whilst proof-reading, the best solution is to read the work aloud. This usually helps avoid those ‘glazing over’ moments. OP, if you need your work looked at on a free-lance basis, it looks like there are several of us who might be able to do that.

SaharaS

Visit site
Sort of. I've been editing it for.... some... years now but it's at a point where it needs to be done. I finished a final(?) draft today. I'm really just pacing the internet at the moment and hoping to find inspiration for a proper title.

I'm actually looking at photos of some guy's 225g fish tank on a fishy forum. In other words, I'm achieving nothing.
Title suggestions! Night owl...the head that twists? Which has just reminded me if the two Ronnies sketch "the worm that turned"
I live on between 4 and 6 hrs googling (or sleep merged Google per night) good it's not only me..I have back up now that it is quite normal! Boyfriend and go the the dogs took themselves up to bed ages ago..the girls try and stay up with me..but Bella is sensible and pup stays with me to do her bed time biscuit patrol. I've just prepped about 6 gallons of goat milk into ice cube bags for making soap as don't have time for making cheese this week..final coffee then bed to Google wierd things..bf fortunately doesn't have a complex anymore as I put my phone screen on dark and Google under the covers..he knows I'm there by the Google halo lighting up the duvet like some sort of ufo..I call it considerate!
Happy browsing all

PurBee

Visit site
Re the marketing, quite a few publishing companies will offer marketing services and that would probably be your best bet. You can do it yourself via social media, etc., but it’s not recommended unless you really know what you’re doing. You could try getting a quotation from Troubador publishing for marketing (I do a lot of copy-editing for them - I’m freelance so I work for a few publishers, but not all do marketing).

And re the copy-editing/proofreading, actually, it’s not odd at all that you're struggling to spot your own errors. Everyone does this. When you are so close to something and have read it so many times, you do start to glaze over. Also, because you know the story (even if it’s non-fiction) so well, you’ll know what you meant to write, but that might not actually be what you’ve written! You could try reading backwards one sentence at a time or reading out loud, which may help. There are also other pieces of software that can help with some things (PerfectIT is good for checking consistency of language - I use it all the time).

To be honest, though, your best bet by far is to get someone else to copy-edit and proofread it for you (a professional if you can afford it, but a grammatically inclined, willing friend is better than not at all or only doing it yourself).

Hope that helps!

I do audio editing for audiobooks and it’s amazing that i pick up text/grammar/spelling errors working alongside the text even when it’s had author and editor, proof-reader and narrator go over it. I’ve now come to the conclusion that it requires at least 4 strangers to go through a text to have it completely perfect.

Caol - 230,000 words is about a 20hrs audio book ...that‘s on par with Moby Dick! Epic! I love long big fat stories ?

Marketing-wise, release it on the usual places for sale, and also release the first 10 chapters as ‘taster’s‘ on online book review/club sites. Before release of actual book for sale, hype -it-up at the popular book readers websites to garner interest, ready to pounce when released. Genre specific sites exist too.
Offer free e-reader copies to first 10 subscribers. Review-retrieval aids in marketing it further.

joosie

Visit site
Another night owl here!
Nothing to do with snoring husbands luckily. I've been an insomniac most of my life. Hoped to grow out of it but at 35 have finally accepted it's just "me".
I used to lie in bed for hours trying to sleep and getting stressed about it. You know the look-at-the-clock, oh-no-I've-got-to-get-up-in-4-hours sort of stress. Then as a uni student I forgot to do an essay and had to stay up all night the night before it was due in to get it written - got my best grade so far, and that was when I discovered that I actually do my best thinking at night, and could use it to my advantage.
Learned to embrace my insomnia after that, and have spent the rest of my adult life using those dark silent hours to be productive instead of lying around getting frustrated!

misst

Visit site
If anyone on here wants a good read Caol Ila has written a cracker. I really enjoyed it. It's really well written and a little bit different from an ordinary crime book. I am hoping she will let us know when the next one is ready:)

fankino04

Visit site
Same here! Snoring partner and awful strong winds outside, I'm becoming obsessed about the weather forecast and if I need to rug the horse (she's out 24/7, doesn't do a rug most winters and is overweight but the new yard she is at thought she needed rugging weeks ago when we had a cold snap so I'm sure they think I'm cruel and horrible that I keep saying no). Also got a random ex employee started chatting on messenger an hour ago???

Squeak

Visit site
Another who is up listening to the storm. So glad I bought the horses in for the night, I'm sure they'd have been fine but it makes me feel better that they're in - half for the horses and half for the field that's already soaked!

Fankino - better too cold than too hot, I'm sure she'd let you know if she was too cold :)

fankino04

Visit site
Another who is up listening to the storm. So glad I bought the horses in for the night, I'm sure they'd have been fine but it makes me feel better that they're in - half for the horses and half for the field that's already soaked!

Fankino - better too cold than too hot, I'm sure she'd let you know if she was too cold :)
They tried to put her rug on her but she wouldn't let them catch her lol, she will often walk away from you if you have a rug in your arms, just feel mean looking at tomorrow forecast for snow and -3 temp but she was happy enough unrugged a few years ago when we had a big snowfall.