Any one else thinking of cutting hay?

Finlib

Visit site
Forecast good no rain on the horizon grass has come on no end and lots of seed. Watched my dogs( setters )run across the hay field this morning and they were only just visible yield may be a bit lower but still have lots of good stuff left from last year enough to see me passed Christmas so thinking of going for it .
Anyone else ?

julesjoy

Visit site
All the farmers around here seem to be doing it! Haylage wrapped last week and hay fields cut and some baled already this week. Looking positive for two cuts this year?

tatty_v

Visit site
Our YO has cut two big fields, he says it’s shorter than ideal length but going to seed and will be burned off in this weather so he’s going for it.

Finlib

Visit site
Going to go for it yield maybe down a bit but it's well grown and it will burn and drop the seed if left. Have another smaller field not as well grown can cut that later in the year.
Ideal haymaking weather at present long days and bright early I the morning.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Been going on here for weeks (haylage and silage). My front field will be cut for hay later this week.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Early hay is lovely stuff for poor doers, i managed to buy some May hay last year and it kept my golden oldie in really good nic through winter.

windand rain

Visit site
Doubt you could this year we are in lincolnshire and no rain means no grass round here. We would usually have too much grass, this year we are just about through the whole summers grazing. We have a bit of grass about 10x20 meters left in a field that would normally last until xmas

loz9

Visit site
Lack of rain here means 1 field isn't worth cutting (yet ?), & the other could be cut but yield would be way down & that's the field that is purely used for hay so has been rested since last hay season. Luckily I still have a winters worth in the barn & can foggage the field if the weather doesn't cooperate later on, plus I prefer later cut hay for my fatties!

Abi90

Visit site
Doubt you could this year we are in lincolnshire and no rain means no grass round here. We would usually have too much grass, this year we are just about through the whole summers grazing. We have a bit of grass about 10x20 meters left in a field that would normally last until xmas

I’m in Lincolnshire and it’s parched :( dropper my mare off at a stud in Lancashire at the weekend and they have so much green grass! Got back here and it looked like late August after a drought

Tilo

Visit site
Just finished silaging. My partner was toying with the idea of doing some early hay. He has a few friends already in the process of doing so.

Finlib

Visit site
Cutting it tomorrow it has been dry but a good lot on the field all go t a lot of seed on it maybe down a little in volume but should be good quality .They have been cutting silage around here for the last 3 wee!s.

hobo

Visit site
Cut ours today did not want to say as it seems bonkers in May but we have a good crop and hopefully it will be a bit softer than last year when it was a new seed and had gone stemmy. Main horse did not approve even though it is a special horse mix for hay she prefered the cow pasture hay from the year before.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Our bit of Scotland needs a week or so more growth but local hay fields looking good. Some friends are making silage this week.

Suechoccy

Visit site
No rain in this part of East Anglia for months. I moved the horses onto 1.5 acres that had been rested for 8 weeks - the grass was sparse and up to 8" long. The 1.5 acres which is now being rested has been rested for 10 days so far and still looks as barren and short as the day I moved them off it. Ground is rock hard with crater-cracks in it too.

daydreamer

Visit site
The yard I am at has cut some fields for hay - probably a couple of weeks earlier than normal. We are in East Anglia so have had hardly any rain. I rode through one of the cut fields yesterday (we are allowed to and I rode inbetween the cut hay!) and in some places I could hardly tell it had been cut as there was so little lying on the ground. I think the yield is going to be really low. At least this year they will be able to make and bale it when they want, normally they have to work around a big BE event that is held at the yard!

Finlib

Visit site
Hay cut and turned twice should be bailing Monday . It's been really not here with a gentle breeze ideal ! More volume than we expected will be interesting to see how many bales we get

Clodagh

Visit site
Our hay fields looks great, but the guy that has the hay does fertilise.
I agree with AA you can't beat early hay, I used to hunt three times a fortnight on horses fed only home grown early cut hay.