Any one else's dogs already a jibbering wreck?

Spyda

Visit site
My poor Spider. She's a panting, shaking wreck here. Nothing seems to sooth her when fireworks are about. Deep sigh.... hate to see her like this. Luckily the puppy doesn't seem affected at all thankfully.

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Nope - just posted below, my three are fine I cannot believe it :) I used to use ACP - otherwise Jura (brindle greyhound) got incredibly distressed :( - you have my sympathy, it is horrible seeing them like that :(

Spyda

Visit site
Spider's a Greyhound/Saluki x Border Collie which we've had since she was 8 weeks old. She's the first and only dog we've had affected by fireworks. Wonder why some are so upset by them, whilst others don't bat an eyelid. I've some ACP tablets at the yard. I'll bring them home tomorrow morning so the rest of the weekend isn't so horrid for her.

Anyone know the dose for a 20Kg bitch?

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Luckily being in the middle of nowhere the closest fireworks are at least a mile away - not that either of mine would pay any attention:rolleyes:

When I lived in the middle of Birmingham fireworks lasted about 3 weeks with Diwali as well and my friends little dog was very upset by them:(

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Be careful! One year the vets gave me the wrong strength tablet for Jura and I thought she was going to die she was that flat out :eek:

I have just found mine and checked, they are 25mg ones, I used to give Jura (about 20kg) half a tablet or a whole one if she was really really bad.

Horse ACP tablets are probably a lot stronger than 25mg?

Llewellyn

Visit site
Pips more bothered by the fact we are on the main route for ambalances (sp) from stafford and their are LOADS going past. If pip hears a firework she rushes to the doors wanting to know who is shooting! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Puppies are exhausted after playing with their fluffy squeaky duck and are flat out in their (open!) cage. Big dog is ignoring the fireworks, as he's been taught. He used to be appalling but has become absolutely fine the past few years. They might be bothered with the huge display in the park nearby tomorrow night. Dunno.

reddie

Visit site
My two younger ones are not bothered at all, the old dog used to get really upset but since he's been stone deaf no problem at all!!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
:( my lurcher(whippet/bearded collie/bedlington) has got worse every year,shes 7 now, and as we have a display in our village starting in a minute, i have given her 1 x 10mg acp tablet as prescribed by the vet. she is 20.25kg in weight and it just makes her calmer but doesnt knock her out. her back legs get a little bit wobbly. normally as soon as she hears the slightest bang she would be pacing and panting and so far has ignored the distant ones. i just hope the village ones arent too noisy....hope this helps as she sounds about the same type and weight as yours....

ladyt25

Visit site
Our older dog used to be fine and then started getting panicky as he got older - panting, shaking etc. However, now, like reddie's post he's practically deaf so, unless there's a really liud one, he's oblivious. If he sees the rockets though he will go a bit mad and bark at them - I think he wants to go get them more than anything!

I don't suppose there's anyway you could out some cotton wool in the dogs' ears so they cannot hear the noises? I have no idea whether that is possible, no doubt they'd just shake them out but I know it can be doen with horses that are noise sensitive.

Mogg

Visit site
M is barking, running around and getting himself all hot and bothered despite being tired out after 9 hours down at the yard and a dose of a herbal calmer. Wasnt too bad with distant ones but when a house a 100m or so away started their fireworks he went barmy. its not so much the bangs that are bothering him its the crackly ones and the ones that make a swooshy noise. Cat is just annoyed that i wont let him outside

littlemisslauren

Visit site
They started round here last night and B was amazed by them, she sat behind the curtains watching them!!

We are right in the middle of ALOT of fireworks atm and all B is interested in is my snickers ice cream :p
Poor dog up the street is going crazy though :(

Vizslak

Visit site
No my lot are fine, they used to be terrible before we moved to our last house next to a rifle range, they soon got used to bangs and havnt batted an eyelid at storms or fireworks for several years now. It sounds like Beirut out there but they have barely looked up.

Acp arent actually licensed for horses, they only come in 25's or 50's for cats and dogs anyway...thats why you need to feed horses tonnes of them!

Red30563

Visit site
Mine usually does the running around, barking and panting thing but we are trying a DAP collar this year for the first time. It really seems to be working. He looks a little stoned to be honest!! Very relaxed. A combination of the collar and yummy liver treats when he is being nice and quiet, seems to be doing the trick at the moment.

CAYLA

Visit site
Nope mine are silent, kennel dogs (even though fire works are going off beside them) are silent, they where walked just b4 they started going off, I usually have Diazapam at the ready for the deerhound, but I think he is deaf this year:D

Radio is up in the dog room and they are all silent and rescue puppy is playing with the boarding labradoodle I have in:D:D

Elle123

www.ellaporterphotography.co.uk
All are curled up fast asleep. (even the lab who is scared of the cooker alarm!!!)
Gave little Pixel a shower a little while ago which was brilliant when they get loud as the shower noise covered it :D she loves baths!! Funny puppy dog, never had one sit in the bath before!

Her first bonfire night and especially being only partially sighted I was worried she'd be hypersensitive to noise. But fingers crossed so far she's okay. But the closest ones tonight have been a couple of miles away. Tomorrow may be worse :S

All have had rescue remedy

X

Holly Hocks

Visit site
My poor dog is going neurotic. I think he is going to have a heart attack. He is shaking uncontrollably, panting and trying to claw through walls. I'm doing my best to ignore his behaviour as I know that if I soothe him or pay him any attention I will make it worse. I've done everything over the years - he's 10 now. He doesn't respond to any of the medication from the vet or any alternative medicine. We've tried every behaviour therapy going and no difference. I'm contemplating putting him in the car and taking him for a drive to somewhere quiet and just sitting it out for a couple of hours.....

Rottie lover

Visit site
May i other a tip,fireworks are a strange noise to dogs,only happens twice a year,strange noise, dogs bark,barking and guarding produces adrenalin,causing shaking,thats why gun dogs etc are desensitised to bangs etc as pups so they get used to it,other than dosing the dog up,which may relax the body but not the mind,so lead to even greater neurosis.

Why not try this,few times a year go on you tube,type in fireworks,give dog a chew or favorite toy,play clip of fireworks quitely,turn slowly up.

Slowly get dog used to the bangs pops etc.

Turn it up louder,do this few times a year,desenitise that way.

See how you get on.

meandmyself

Visit site
Mine was okay until the bloody idiot across the street started letting off the huge ones... they're scaring me, let alone the poor dog...

Holly Hocks

Visit site
May i other a tip,fireworks are a strange noise to dogs,only happens twice a year,strange noise, dogs bark,barking and guarding produces adrenalin,causing shaking,thats why gun dogs etc are desensitised to bangs etc as pups so they get used to it,other than dosing the dog up,which may relax the body but not the mind,so lead to even greater neurosis.

Why not try this,few times a year go on you tube,type in fireworks,give dog a chew or favorite toy,play clip of fireworks quitely,turn slowly up.

Slowly get dog used to the bangs pops etc.

Turn it up louder,do this few times a year,desenitise that way.

See how you get on.

Thanks for the tip. I bought a CD a few years ago of Sounds Scary fireworks. Dog was scared of it at first, but got used to it and then I slowly turned it up - dog now knows which ones are real and which are on CD or TV. Doesnt matter how many go off on TV, he doesn't bother,it's when the noise is outside. I think I was told that shaking like you say is a dog's natural reaction and to let them get on with it, which is what I'm doing. It's not nice to see, but I'm coping better than I have any other year, so that's got to be an improvement!

prosefullstop

Visit site
Mine couldn't care less. We don't do anything different for July 4th, and I've been caught out with the dogs plenty of times during electrical thunderstorms.

They are both petrified of the vacuum cleaner, however.

Goya

Visit site
Had the Dap going for a week or so prior, but Jess is still a jibbering wreck, poor thing. Like someone said, I just have to ignore her as I don't want to prsise "scared" behaviour.
Skye is unhappy, but not shaking or anything and Monty doesn't seem to be bothered at all. Thank goodness.

Supertrooper

Visit site
Mine is terrified - but is currently under duvet with my legs wrapped round her and she's settled again. Hate bl**dy fireworks with a passion!