Any other fell pony owners?

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
There's a fell pony that visits my yard for the derbies - he's a great jumper, but is incredibly stubborn and likes to do things his own way, which just makes him more charming! Now with a picture-heavy Fresian thread and a fell thread on the go at the moment, if someone starts a Dales pony one I might just die happy! lol. Thanks for sharing your photos - you've got some seriously gorgeous looking ponies!

Flicker

Visit site
Flicker, which stud did you visit? I live in the Lake District :)

Naza: We did quite a bit of showing a couple of years ago and he absolutely loves jumping, at the minute we're just enjoying doing a LOT of hacking. He's not you're stereotypical fell, thinks he's a thoroughbred, those little legs can shift! Haha!

StarFell it was Little Tree Stud. Absolutely gorgeous - I fell in love with all of them :)

Walrus

Visit site
There are so many lovely Fell ponies on here, thought I'd join in the photo session!

Copyoftomsfirstshow064.jpg

montysmum1

Visit site
ME!!! My little man is a fell, I bought him as a 3yr old and he's rising 9 now. He's a very wilfull little chap and full to the brim with character which is why I love him to bits, even though he can be a bit dramatic at times :) :) :)
He's also got an AMAZING jump!! Would never want to be without him :D :D

Foxford

Visit site
If I ever have kids they're getting a fell pony (or a new forrest!). My first pony was a rising 5yo fell mare who was a total star. Hacked out alone with a 13yo kid riding (cantering on all the grass verves we could find ;)), could jump the moon and qualified for a national dressage championship at Novice level as she entered her teens. She could be strong and opinionated - left me on the floor a few times! But she was such fun and put a nervous novice on her and she'd look after them. Sadly we lost her, but she was a much loved family treasure.

Last edited:

friesian80

Visit site
I agree Fells generally are safe as houses and very little phases them however they do tend to be quite set in their ways and strong minded.

Do you think this is just the same as most our British natives or do you think Fells have their own strong minded ways which is unique to the breed?

I own a Shettie and Welsh B and have owned a Connemara who all have similar native quirks but I have to say my Fell has a more unique attitude.

When I was considering buying Jack his previous owner said you could ride him up an airstrip with a brass band behind him and he wouldnt bat an eyelid! She had also driven him in harness to Tescos and parked him in a parking bay whilst her friend nipped in for a pack of fags and of course Jack stood like a saint! :D

Last edited:

friesian80

Visit site
What are ppls opinions on there being similarities to Fells and Friesians?
Before I bought Jack I did in fact think it was proven that Fells had originated from Friesian blood crossed with a native breed thousands of years ago, his owner put me right and informed me that infact the Fell society frowned apon ppl calling them 'little friesians'.
I can understand that they are a breed of their own and why the socity might not appriciate them being classed as something else, but they do have similarities IMO.

I own a friesian as well as my fell and although they have totally different personalities they do have similar qualities.

I find Fells very bold (as are Friesians) with not much of a flight instinct (that would be way too much wasted energy! :rolleyes: )

Of course the visual similarities are there (more to a classic baroque shape of the friesian).

They are good driving ponies and take to the discipline well (ok so do many other of our native breeds).

So whats your thoughts on this?

Dont get me wrong Im not belittling the breed I do think its a pure native breed but I cant help seeing the similarities.

Last edited:

DollyDoo

Visit site
I have a fell pony mare, she is accidently in foal with a friesian stallion as the sire.

I <3 her she is called dolly and is about 13.3 ish...

touchstone

Visit site
What are ppls opinions on there being similarities to Fells and Friesians?
Before I bought Jack I did in fact think it was proven that Fells had originated from Friesian blood crossed with a native breed thousands of years ago, his owner put me right and informed me that infact the Fell society frowned apon ppl calling them 'little friesians'.
I can understand that they are a breed of their own and why the socity might not appriciate them being classed as something else, but they do have similarities IMO.

I own a friesian as well as my fell and although they have totally different personalities they do have similar qualities.

I find Fells very bold (as are Friesians) with not much of a flight instinct (that would be way too much wasted energy! :rolleyes: )

Of course the visual similarities are there (more to a classic baroque shape of the friesian).

They are good driving ponies and take to the discipline well (ok so do many other of our native breeds).

So whats your thoughts on this?

Dont get me wrong Im not belittling the breed I do think its a pure native breed but I cant help seeing the similarities.

I think the likeness is supposed to come from here:- "The Friesian horse is the only horse breed native to the Netherlands where the Friesian has been known since as far back as the 13th century. At the start of the Christian era, the Friesian was used in battle and Friesian troops were documented in Britannia. In the 4th century, English writer Anthony Dent1 wrote about the presence of Friesian troops at Carlisle and their horses. Both cases probably involve Friesian mercenaries mounted on Friesian stallions. Anthony Dent and other writers indicate that the Friesian horse is the ancestor of both the British Shire breed and the Fell pony."

StrawberryFish

Visit site
not a Fell but my mum's pony is a Dales (she was a shared pony for many years between Mother and I, as we bought her when I was 9 and she was 5 and i'm now 25)

I do have a soft spot for these natives :)

Kadastorm

Visit site
I often wonder where my girl is. I lost touch with the owners :(
if anyone knows where she is please tell me how she's doing.
FP Rosie born june 2005, 13.2hh black. Was sold to a lovely lady in hatfield who had a son and welsh pony. I know her name but i dont want to post it on here but if anyone recognises the description that'd be good :)

pink-possum

New User
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone on this could help me with something. I am thinking of buying a lovely fell pony, but wasn't sure of the price.

He's an 8 year old fell pony gelding, 14.2hh. The current owners don't think he was ridden much in his previous home. They bought him for their daughter but she doesn't feel confident on him, hence why he's being sold, resulting in him not being ridden for 6 months other than me trying him the other day. He's not up to date on his vaccinations, or with the farrier and he's not been insured. He'll have to be brought back into work a bit.

They're asking £1,800 for him, but this is slightly over our budget, and we think it may be slightly unreasonable.

Do you think £1,500 would be a reasonable price to pay for him? If not, what kind of price do you think you'd value him at?

Your views would be much appricated! :)

Kadastorm

Visit site
i would say if he is safe, good looking and got potential then yes i would pay the asking price but put an offer of £1500 first. No harm in that! if they havent ridden him for 6months then surely they would reduce the price to go to a good home?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
At 14.2, he is not going to be able to compete in any affiliated classes as he is overheight. Max height for the breed is 14hh.

So, £1,500 is a fair price for a nice pony that cannot be shown in breed classes (and I would emphasise this if price is a sticking point).

Good luck :)

Kadastorm

Visit site
Ps i sold my 4yr old, unvaccinated and un insured mare for £1950. i reduced the price right down from £2500, she was a fab all rounder but with a buck on her and had sweet itch which i had managed to control. She had great conformation and breeding too.

I would deffo pay if i felt he was the right one and didnt do anything too bad

Megibo

Visit site
I'm currently schooling a green six year old Fell cross for a friend.

She's a superstar, lovely temp etc. does have some anxiety issues as came from a shady dealer and don't know too much about where she was before that, but bless her she seems very genuine and wont challenge you twice! Like from a incident today whilst hacking alone, she's very aware of everything, especially what's right infront of her feet! and we had to walk from a field down a teeny drop onto a road. She was about to step down, looked down at her feet as usual then went OMG and shot backwards whilst turning. I quietly turned her back and encouraged her down it. She kinda said, "so it is safe then?" and i said "yes of course" so she said "okay then!" and walked off the grass onto the road and across. we again had to walk onto the next field and up a tiny bank and she was worried about that. i simply told her to go up it, and up she went! bless her heart she does try :D
Photos from when we first got her, she's in much much better shape now!
141.jpg

134.jpg

174.jpg

165.jpg

pink-possum

New User
Visit site
Thanks for your help! They haven't had any other interest in him and he's been advertised for a while, and its clear that they don't want to work with him, so I will put in an offer for £1,500 and see how it goes.

Thanks a lot! All your views have been very helpful to me :)

superted1989

Visit site
One of the girls on our yard has just sold her gorgeous Fell, Fairlawn Winston. Whoever has bought him, think he's gone to Bournemouth area, is very, very lucky as he is the most tremendous pony.
I always had the running joke that he delivered the milk around the village (my grandad delivered milk pre-WW2 with a Fell called Blackie), much to his owners disgust! I miss him and he wasn't even mine!

pink-possum

New User
Visit site
At 14.2, he is not going to be able to compete in any affiliated classes as he is overheight. Max height for the breed is 14hh.

So, £1,500 is a fair price for a nice pony that cannot be shown in breed classes (and I would emphasise this if price is a sticking point).

Good luck :)

Thanks for the help! They've agreed to £1500 and a month trial to make sure he's right for me :) Already bought a lunging kit and everything! Can't wait! Thanks again :) I'll post pictures as soon as possible :)