Any tips for PetPlans?!

Nannon

Visit site
Doing our first AF tomorrow - we have only done 3 affiliated shows so I am cacking myself totally now! Any handy hints and tips? We aren't on til 7.30pm - the arena walk is 4.45 to 5 so I don't think I will take him up there for that, as he will then be stood on the box for hours and switch off totally! Anything I need to watch out for or remember would be fab, as I probably won't have any support with me!
White wine and vanilla ice cream on offer!

3Beasties

Visit site
Can't offer any advice but just wanted to say good luck :D I wish I could come along and watch as know a few people competing there tomorrow but I'm dressaging myself elsewhere! Hope it goes well :)

icestationzebra

Visit site
If this is a new venue for you, or your horse is likely to be spooky or a bit looky, then I would do the arena walk. The arena will be probably be dressed with drapes, there will most likely be flower arrangements and two judges tables with banners and tablecloths so you are at an advantage if your horse has seen these before you go in for your test - it also means that you are comfortable with the environment too and don't go in and feel overawed.

Have a plan for your warm up that works for your horse and stick to it. Don't get distracted or overwhelmed by others. As you enter the arena take a deep breath, roll your shoulders back and slap a big smile on your face - and breathe! Good luck :)

meardsall_millie

Visit site
If this is a new venue for you, or your horse is likely to be spooky or a bit looky, then I would do the arena walk. The arena will be probably be dressed with drapes, there will most likely be flower arrangements and two judges tables with banners and tablecloths so you are at an advantage if your horse has seen these before you go in for your test - it also means that you are comfortable with the environment too and don't go in and feel overawed.

I have to agree with this to be honest. Even if it's an arena you're used to, there's likely to be more decoration and it would be a shame to spoil your test due to tension when it's something you could have controlled.

Also don't forget to collect you Pet Plans plaque :)

icestationzebra

Visit site
I have to agree with this to be honest. Even if it's an arena you're used to, there's likely to be more decoration and it would be a shame to spoil your test due to tension when it's something you could have controlled.

Also don't forget to collect you Pet Plans plaque :)

There didn't seem to be any plaques at Houghton :( Do you know if I can get one from BD MM?

humblepie

Visit site
We were there yesterday. Not been there before. Very nice venue with lovely people. They have made an effort with the arena. We didn't do arena walk way too early for us and immensely proud of our ex racehorse who didn't bat an eyelid at anything. Only complaint is they played the spice girls during his test
Doh. Heavy metal rock please.

Enjoy and have fun.

Nannon

Visit site
Thanks everyone! It is our regular venue so fingers crossed no silliness - he is an ex racer too humblepie :) I'm excited and nervous! We get a plaque?! How exciting!!!

humblepie

Visit site
Good luck and yes get stable plaque they were also which was a nice touch giving prizes and a pen with the event details on with the sheets. Am fighting with OH over who gets pen as he says he should for doing the driving !

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My davice would be to remember the test, as I went wrong last year, did the wrong course and missed qualifying for the finals by 0.1% or something silly!!! Doh!

Nannon

Visit site
Thank you everyone for all the hints! I did still forget to actually ride him in the arena though!! However, my aim was to get over 60% - when we arrived in had a feeling that might have been a bit ambitious when we saw 2 nice tests score low 60s. Yet again I was totally overwhelmed looking at all the gorgeous dressage horses compared to my skinny TB! Felt much better when I got on and started warming up and he produced some lovely trot work (less said about the canter than has been so good at home the better...) so off we went to the arena. He decided the judge at B was truly terrifying so the writer kindly walked us past and he was fine from then on. He did a fairly average test - we've done worse and we've done better but he nailed the stretchy trot circle! Has taken months of practice to get him to stretch at all, especially straight after a canter circle. Came out expecting mid 50s, went to have a nose and he'd managed 61.9%! We ended up 17th or 18th out of 24 - we normally are nearly last :) so pleased with him for holding it together in the biggest competition scenario of his life bless him, it's so hard to believe that not long ago the canter work was like steering a battleship and an outline was out of the question!

Nannon

Visit site
image_zpsae660930.jpg
[/URL]

humblepie

Visit site
Well done and never let yourself be overwhelmed by the others in the warm up. I used to very badly when showing but it is what they do in the ring that counts, not how pouncy they look outside. You should be mega proud of where you have got to and onwards and upwards.