Any truly waterproof jackets …

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
So last Christmas I was treated to the pikeur waterproof parka. Wasn’t too impressed as zip a pain and lost it’s waterproof ness very quickly. Wore it for the first time today drenched through. had hoped it would last longer than half a winter.

does anyone have any genuinely waterproof recommendations, be great if could do yard work and ride in it !

VRIN

Visit site
There is a thread about fabio gold for reproofing waterproof jackets/rugs etc.... I have just ordered from Amazon and intend to waterproof jacket and shoes as well as rugs.

HorseMaid

Visit site
I recently bought an equetech Pura lightweight waterproof jacket and been very pleased with it so far, its rated to 16,000 waterproofness (whatever that actually means!), looks smart and has kept me dry in the recent weather!

Widgeon

Visit site
Yep - fluorescent builder's jackets. Cheap and great for hacking too!

Yep - something non-equestrian. Workwear (I just bought a lady-fit workwear hi viz jacket! Very excited about this) or decent walking kit. Sometimes I wear my good Mountain Equipment hill walking jacket to the yard if it's pouring. But I am very careful with it!

millikins

Visit site
I treated myself to a Drizabone coat last winter. It's certainly waterproof but also heavy and bulky but probably needs to be more worn in.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Musto all the way. Mine is about 15 years old and much patched but still completely waterproof.
Agree. Can't beat a Musto. I have loads of waterproof coats and the musto is the only one which has remained waterproof despite washing (following musto care advice)

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Musto all the way. Mine is about 15 years old and much patched but still completely waterproof.

I think this might only apply to older Musto's, now :(

My first two Musto were completely waterproof but my second two are no longer fully waterproof and the oldest is only 4 years old.

I'm beginning to switch to non-horse brands now when I need to be 100% waterproof.

Pippity

Visit site
Yep - something non-equestrian. Workwear (I just bought a lady-fit workwear hi viz jacket! Very excited about this) or decent walking kit. Sometimes I wear my good Mountain Equipment hill walking jacket to the yard if it's pouring. But I am very careful with it!

I may have bought the same one, if it's the one that was mentioned on here recently! I wore it for the first time this morning, and came home bone dry and not remotely sweaty.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I think this might only apply to older Musto's, now :(

My first two Musto were completely waterproof but my second two are no longer fully waterproof and the oldest is only 4 years old.

I'm beginning to switch to non-horse brands now when I need to be 100% waterproof.

most of the equestrian musto are only 3-5000 waterproof. Many products now far superior on the market.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
If a company doesn’t tell you how waterproof something is then don’t buy it as means the material hasn’t been tested. Equetech are my go to now for equestrian waterproof as all 16,000 waterproof. I was out for 3 hours in my equetech venture yesterday and it was fantastic.

The Stierna coat is 20,000 waterproof but it’s £385

chattygoneon3

Visit site
I have a variety of jackets all from Trespass. Some are for the winter and filled with down and others have no filling for the warmer weather . They have either 10,000 or 20,000 waterproof and I’ve never got wet in any of them.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have one from Mountain Warehouse, rated to 10,000mm, it has never let rain in and it has got soaked, for hours, whilst walking! It is breathable too, and flexible. Lovely, innovative cuffs, keeps wind and rain out, like the bottom of modern breeches.

I just found another, what looks like a similar one, from Mountain Warehouse on Ebay, available all sizes, same rating, under £45 as old range and not as nice a colour. I bought for stable use, so it is a bit shorter (halfway down bum as opposed to top of thigh) so I have freedom of movement. I hope it is as good as the first.

I find that the waterproof ones are those with a membrane in, as opposed to a 'coating' that is waterproof, that soon wears off. Also, they need taped seams. The rated ones tend to be better made than those which are not, and those that also give a breathe-ability measurement are top! Mr Red had a totally waterproof cheap jacket, but it isn't breathable, like working whilst wearing a plastic bag, nasty, also crinkly.

With any waterproof jacket, or rug, I find it important not to wash with detergent. It destroys the membrane somehow. When you 're-proof' you are only applying a coating, which doesn't last long, like the cheaper jackets/rugs with a coating.

Last edited:

Skib

sites.google.com
My summer riding one is Berghaus and my winter one a very old Musto.

But my truly waterproof hooded mac is not for riding. It came from Rohan, an extravagant emergency buy from on of their shops when at the height of lock down we went to Suffolk and I left my walking jacket behind. A friend who walks long distance was with us on the wettest walk ever and stayed dry with Rohan trousers and jacket.

PurBee

Visit site
I have one from Mountain Warehouse, rated to 10,000mm, it has never let rain in and it has got soaked, for hours, whilst walking! It is breathable too, and flexible. Lovely, innovative cuffs, keeps wind and rain out, like the bottom of modern breeches.

I just found another, what looks like a similar one, from Mountain Warehouse on Ebay, available all sizes, same rating, under £45 as old range and not as nice a colour. I bought for stable use, so it is a bit shorter (halfway down bum as opposed to top of thigh) so I have freedom of movement. I hope it is as good as the first.

I find that the waterproof ones are those with a membrane in, as opposed to a 'coating' that is waterproof, that soon wears off. Also, they need taped seams. The rated ones tend to be better made than those which are not, and those that also give a breathe-ability measurement are top! Mr Red had a totally waterproof cheap jacket, but it isn't breathable, like working whilst wearing a plastic bag, nasty, also crinkly.

With any waterproof jacket, or rug, I find it important not to wash with detergent. It destroys the membrane somehow. When you 're-proof' you are only applying a coating, which doesn't last long, like the cheaper jackets/rugs with a coating.

I just bought a cheap farmer outdoor workwear type jacket - 10,000 - its as you say, polyester coated with polyurethane rubbery type stuff. First time use wearing it walking in a downpour and the inside was drenched after half hour! This must be a reject as it looks fine but somethings very wrong with it for my clothes to get drenched inside too.

I’ve used the rubber coated polyester jackets before, and like you say, they work until the rubber wears, get holes/cracks - after about 18 months of daily use. They’re not very breathable though, despite the marketing claim, how can being encased in rubbery material be breathable?!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My Musto is fleece lined and waterproof but the cuffs get soggy so I tend not to wear it in the wet. I also have a lightweight Mountain Horse jacket I got in a sale for £25 which is completely waterproof and my most worn jacket, I love it because it’s baggy and I can layer up underneath.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Jack Wolfskin because they list the numbers, mm is the hydrostatic head, they literally stretch a piece of fabric in the horizontal and see what head height of water it can take before it leaks, 20,000mm is 20 metres! So far my fave is Texapore O2, phenomenally light and breathable - https://www.jack-wolfskin.co.uk/texapore/. I always buy in the sale, or at the Ashford (Kent) outlet shop, but before Brexit I could pick up bargains from European online retailers, it's way too much hassle now. Reproof regularly with their own brand, Nikwax or Graingers.

dotty1

Visit site
I’ve given up…spent a lot on so say waterproof coats and they don’t last long…..now using a hi viz (navy with reflective tape) builders jacket. £20 on EBay, fully waterproof, quilted lining, loads,of pockets. Don’t mind if it gets filthy or damaged as only cost £20

Otherwise

Visit site
I bought an Equetech coat at the start of winter last year, I chose it specifically because they list how waterproof it is. It's been fabulous, I've always been completely dry in it despite working outdoors.

Boulty

Visit site
I have spent literally hours in properly torrential sideways rain in my joules raincoat with fluffy lining & the only thing that gets damp is the pockets. I have spent entire days living in my wax jacket in pouring rain & that also is pretty leak proof bit does get very heavy when wet & takes an age to dry.

jnb

Visit site
Re Equidry, does anyone have one, sizing wise unfortunately I doubt I'd be comfortable in any of the Equetech ones as I am too big on the bust, do Equidry come up generous? I hate feeling restricted in chest/shoulders

Littlebear

Visit site
Re Equidry, does anyone have one, sizing wise unfortunately I doubt I'd be comfortable in any of the Equetech ones as I am too big on the bust, do Equidry come up generous? I hate feeling restricted in chest/shoulders

If it helps I have massive boobs and the equetech fits nicely and has a nice shape to it still rather than just hanging off them!

Stenners

Visit site
They have a size guide on their website based on also how tall you are. I am 5ft and a 10/12 and i would be a small. They are generous as they are an oversized coat!