Anyone else just not feeling like competing

J_sarahd

Visit site
Last year I really wanted to compete. I only ended up going to about 3 shows due to not having my own transport but was jealous of anybody out competing.

Now that lockdown is lifting again, I just don’t feel that same desire.

I want to go schooling and have lessons but really couldn’t care less about competing. Which is annoying as I was going to join BS Club this year!

I know I don’t have to compete, but I just see so many people talking about competitions on Facebook etc that I feel like I should be excited!!

Anyone else feeling the same way?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have felt like that for years. Love lessons. Last horse was schooled to Med dressage, could ride a med test, ready for comp. I did a few unaffiliated novices, just for the social outing.

I find jumping shows to just feel too bustly now. Too much stress.

I used to live for eventing. Now the thought of getting up at 4am, a 3 hour journey to arrive 2 hours before dressage, to have potentially a 2 hour wait before XC after a course hold, then a 3 hour wait for results, then a 3 hour journey home... you're having' a laugh!!!

Last edited:

Muddywellies

Visit site
Yep!! Whilst I always battled with comp nerves, somehow I competed a lot, incl qualifying for some championships. But for numerous reasons, I've got no interest now. Even sold the lorry (tho can't quite bring myself to cancel my BD membership yet). I can't imagine why I would want the stress, expense, and usually disappointment of competing. In recent years its become a rich mans sport and with my little native pony, and my complete lack of skill and talent, along with very limited funds, I'll leave it for others to do now. Also for pretty fed up with the pothunters (even seen a PSG rider on an extremely well bred dressage horse by a very famous sire entering an unaff prelim class). Oh, and add to that some very questionable judging (BD listed judges). I'm just not resilient enough to rise above it all, and this past 12 months I've found I'm far happier keeping out of the show ring. I was carried along in the fast lane of the dressage rat race but now, I'm bumbling along in the slow lane, taking in the sights along the way, and saving my sanity and bank balance. Much better.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Last year I really wanted to compete. I only ended up going to about 3 shows due to not having my own transport but was jealous of anybody out competing.

Now that lockdown is lifting again, I just don’t feel that same desire.

I want to go schooling and have lessons but really couldn’t care less about competing. Which is annoying as I was going to join BS Club this year!

I know I don’t have to compete, but I just see so many people talking about competitions on Facebook etc that I feel like I should be excited!!

Anyone else feeling the same way?
Ah good old Facebook again. Hit that deactivate button, you'll feel far better.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Glad I’m not the only one. I love jumping and so does my pony, hence why I was going to register with BS Club, but I’m just a bit meh about it. I’ve written all the local unaff show jumping competitions nearby in my diary but it’s not motivated me. My yard is near a small local riding club show and I’ll probably go to that for a bit of show jumping if everyone else on the yard is going. Maybe after a few arena hires and lessons I’ll want to go for competing again

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have felt like that for years. Love lessons. Last horse was schooled to Med dressage, could ride a med test, ready for comp. I did a few unaffiliated novices, just for the social outing.

I used to live for eventing. Now the thought of getting up at 4am, a 3 hour journey to arrive 2 hours before dressage, to have potentially a 2 hour wait before XC after a course hold, then a 3 hour wait for results, then a 3 hour journey home... you're having' a laugh!!!

Covid has improved eventing considerably. 45 mins between phases now, results all online and pretty immediate. I don't mind the 2 hours before dressage to walk the course and get ready. I used to hate waiting for Sjing but even that pain has reduced.

Covid has also improved BS considerably as now everything is pre-entered and runs on times. I am not thankful to Covid for much but dragging horse sport into the 21st century is one of the few things.

I go through meh stages about competing and often have an unintended year off like last year (lots of lame horses for various reasons) which then just makes me hungrier to get out, essentially I wouldn't bother having a horse if I didn't compete. It costs me an arm and a leg and I do wonder if its worth it as like training but it also drives my training in the perpetual wanting to improve. If I sit and think about competing and the 'value' of it then I probably wouldn't get off the sofa. Its hard work, thankless a lot of time and I have to struggle with self doubt regularly. My self doubt is bad at the moment due to having a neurotic horse who would normally have a tonne of prep but I have to have faith in my system (it definitely has enough education) and in that the horse is perfectly capable.

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Just before covid I was out most weeks with the TB just getting competition experience under his belt so it has been a bit weird to now do nothing at all, but at the moment I'm not missing it.
I don't want to take my other horse out again until she's ready to move up a level and that's a BIIIIIG leap still so not expecting to do anything this year either tbh. if it turns out she's not going to make the grade then i will probably trundle along doing some PSGs/Inter 1s but at the moment it's not that exciting as a prospect, never thought I'd say that o_O

Lots of lessons in the meantime anyway. Lorry has been off the road since August :oops:

j1ffy

Visit site
Whereas I can't wait to get out! I've even booked a day off work on Wednesday to go and do one dressage test - as a self-employed person that makes it a very expensive Elementary debut ?. I struggle with motivation for training if I don't have a competitive goal, and having planned our Ele debut at the end of December (cancelled as we went into Tier 4 on Boxing Day) it's been a long time coming. TBH I already have my eye on our Medium debut.

I can certainly see a time in the future when competition won't motivate me as much but at the moment it provides a nice structure to work through and keep us focused.

milliepops

Visit site
I can certainly see a time in the future when competition won't motivate me as much but at the moment it provides a nice structure to work through and keep us focused.
yeah i can def relate to that, i usually feel the same, it's just this yawning chasm of training ahead of us won't go away, haha.
If Darcy was still in work I'd probably be back on the competition treadmill too.

j1ffy

Visit site
yeah i can def relate to that, i usually feel the same, it's just this yawning chasm of training ahead of us won't go away, haha.
If Darcy was still in work I'd probably be back on the competition treadmill too.

I'm at AMD (along with NikiCB) on 3/4 May so I hope to see some of your progress then!

milliepops

Visit site
no promises..... but we have a kick-off lesson tomorrow so we will have a good run up ;)
First lorry arrived at 9am this morning. weird having to share the place again!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I look back an wonder why I ever bothered with all that!

humblepie

Visit site
It is odd as I have always been competition (and championships...) driven but have really got to enjoy hacking over the last period. Haven't done a huge amount of schooling but horse is now 18 so knows how to walk trot and canter....it is more me getting back into the groove than him. I do seem to have entered a show that will require a 3.30 am start fro, home to the yard so the fire still there.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I used to be out weekly competing sometimes twice a week. Ladt year only did a few here and there and I enjoyed my horse soooooo much more!! This year I'm doing the same, just booking comps as and when I feel I want to. Just loving loading up for hacking and gallops, no stress!!

scats

Visit site
I enjoy competing, but it’s not the be all and end all for me. I actually prefer training, but the competition part is nice because a) I get to see how we are progressing and b) it’s the chance to go out and ride somewhere different and put that training into action.
I equally enjoy (prefer, probably) going out on farm rides throughout the summer months. I meet a friend there and we natter, have a few good canters and usually the odd full on gallop, pop the odd fence and then have a coffee when we get back to the wagons. That’s heaven to me.

DressageCob

Visit site
I enjoy competing, but it’s not the be all and end all for me. I actually prefer training, but the competition part is nice because a) I get to see how we are progressing and b) it’s the chance to go out and ride somewhere different and put that training into action.
I equally enjoy (prefer, probably) going out on farm rides throughout the summer months. I meet a friend there and we natter, have a few good canters and usually the odd full on gallop, pop the odd fence and then have a coffee when we get back to the wagons. That’s heaven to me.

You have just described a perfect day out (only with hot chocolate not coffee for me!) I love a farm ride.
I used to do the autumn fun rides but lost my buddy and now have no-one to go with. I don't fancy it on my own.

I do like competing. I love training but I also benefit from having a goal, such as a new level of dressage, or a championship. The best thing about moving up the levels is you don't have so many early starts ?
I'm not going to bother eventing anymore. It's too much effort ?

Bernster

Visit site
I’m undecided! I def enjoy clinics, lessons and horse outings without the faff, stress and early mornings. But I tend to be a bit aimless without a more formal comp related goal and I like to track our results and feedback etc. But I never really focus enough on any one thing to really crack it.

Online dressage has been interesting and a bit of an eye opener. i hope they continue after COVID but I suspect they’ll tail off a bit.

I’ve booked some outings already for April but no comps. I think I’ll see how we go before I feel ready to tackle those.

J_sarahd

Visit site
I think for me as well a lots changed since we could last compete. My whole horse dynamic has changed and I’m around a different type of Equestrian. I’m really hoping that after a couple of lessons and outings, I’ll want to compete as last year I set us a goal of going clear at 85cm show jumping. I also set myself the goal of competing at Eland’s ODE to try and improve cross country from last year. I feel like I’m wasting him if I’m not competing as he’s so talented but also he’s rising 8 so loads of years left to compete!

scats

Visit site
You have just described a perfect day out (only with hot chocolate not coffee for me!) I love a farm ride.
I used to do the autumn fun rides but lost my buddy and now have no-one to go with. I don't fancy it on my own.

I do like competing. I love training but I also benefit from having a goal, such as a new level of dressage, or a championship. The best thing about moving up the levels is you don't have so many early starts ?
I'm not going to bother eventing anymore. It's too much effort ?

Are you near me? You are more than welcome to join me out and about this summer x

MummyEms

Visit site
I feel very similar.
I used to love going out show jumping, hunter trialling and even dressage if I couldn't find any jumping that weekend.
However now I'm older I thoroughly enjoy the bond with my horse. I enjoy improving her way of going just for myself to enjoy. My aim is to make her healthy happy and trusting. In return she does the same for me. If competition were more friendly and relaxed I would probably still enjoy a day out. I often feel the vibes though are more stressed at most places!!