anyone else moved to winter turnout (on a livery yard)

Casey76

Visit site
Last week we had 2 days where the temp dropped to 6C over night. There were so many whinging clients that the YO caved, so as of yesterday we're on winter management (daytime turnout). This really cuts into the turnout time as the horses don't often get out until about 10, and then in again at 4.

Of course, this week, we're back to 25C during the day and 12-15c over night.

And, (to top it all off) we didn't actually get switched to summer turnout until mid Jun because the weather was so wet.

I was missed off the original distribution list for the message, so now I'm scrambling to think of how I need to change my routine to fit the horses.

It didn't help this morning getting to the yard in pitch black... it makes me sad and depressed to see the back of summer (though this time two weeks ago I was whinging as it was too hot (35C during the day!).

hannahlow

Visit site
I have swapped over to my winter routine as of Saturday, it's getting quite chilly! But luckily we can do what we like, our YO just asks we don't turn out when it's rained all night and still raining in the morning!

I quite like winter.... As it gives me excuses to buy new rugs :D

ezililaur

Visit site
Not yet!
You have my sympathies however.
We get the odd whinger at our yard, moaning about the "lack of grass" and then mud when we get wet weather!
Our winter turnout is basically a mud paddock so there's no grass there anyway.
I do wish people would keep their mouths shut sometimes!

It does seem a bit early to be going on to "Winter" management!

Deltic Blue

Visit site
Not yet either at my yard.
I'm planning on not bringing in overnight until the end of October when the clocks go back.
I'll just rug accordingly in the mean time.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
not yet, and hoping to have a good few weeks yet - doesn't half make a difference to the hay bill when they have to come in overnight :eek:

Doesn't look like anyone has told my sec D that it's autumn, she's still sporting her summer coat. Millie looks like a yak though.
Hating losing the light though, it's so depressing :(

Annagain

Visit site
No. Ours don't switch to winter fields until clocks go back and we normally then have about a month/5 weeks until they start coming in overnight depending on the weather. We made it to the first week of December last year which was lovely.

It's the dark rather than the weather that gets me too. It was pitch black by the time I left the yard last night - I was there a bit later than usual for a Sunday but it was only about 7.15, which is when I'll be there after work most nights. In some ways, I hate this time of year more than winter - rushing to get things done in daylight and usually failing as daylight goes earlier and earlier every day. Once the clocks go back and it's dark anyway it doesn't matter.

booandellie

Visit site
we are swapping this saturday but that just means they swap from night time turnout to daytime but still 12hrs- just means they get the last of the sunshine on their backs before it is time to start rugging!

chaps89

Visit site
Not yet- we have 9 acres of grazing with 2 good doers on it. Were still on the starvation paddock, waiting for the grass to die off so we can start letting them on it but with the wet/warm weather were getting it might be a while. Plus side is hopefully not having to hay for long in winter, downside is having to supplement with soaked hay at the moment as better for the fatties than the grass- it's been a long summer!

LeannePip

Visit site
No, a few of the geldings turned around last week as they were being a nuisance but there girls and some boys are still out over night.

We'll turn around last weekend in October unless the weather goes downhill fast before then

Antw23uk

Visit site
Jealous of all of you - at my livery yard we are in overnight everynight :(

Yes my last livery yard was like that, its so frustrating. I will have to ask friends if they are on winter turnout now or not. The joys of your own place, I'm hoping to leave the stable open and let them decide unless its relentlessy rubbish in which case they will be confined to the concrete yard and open stables. I do have a paddock thats been rested since I moved in end of May and I plan to use this with a movable electric track to get to it for Jan and Febthey will have to cross the summer paddock hence the movable track! Luxury :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
This year I think we're experimenting (at home) with wintering out for everyone (only 2 of 5 brought in normally, only 2 stables lol)

I don't think the field will get any more trashed, it's clay, and might even be better this year as we put in huge drains across the wet bit as it's where our newly built arena is. Hoping we won't use anymore hayou either.

Looking forward to no more smelly mucking out clothes and more time.

Didn't put any rugs on this morning either and it's rained all day, still they won't melt!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am about to move to the winter field ( I need to move a trailer that's camping in there )but will keep them out a bit longer .

ossy

Visit site
This year our YO is being more strict last year she let some of the liveries, it's full livery only, get their way wanting turn out till 6, 7 o'clock at night until November and then the very same liveries moaned in feb/March that there wasn't enough grass. This year overnight turnout ended at end of August and winter turnout times starts this weekend so out at 10 and in by 4. I think it's fair enough to be moving to winter regime around now.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yeh it's a question of how long the winter grass will last .
I always stabled from the third week in September but last year left them out to the third week in October but it did make a noticeable difference to the grass in the winter field they got through quicker .
Let's hope for an easy winter .

Annagain

Visit site
This year our YO is being more strict last year she let some of the liveries, it's full livery only, get their way wanting turn out till 6, 7 o'clock at night until November and then the very same liveries moaned in feb/March that there wasn't enough grass. This year overnight turnout ended at end of August and winter turnout times starts this weekend so out at 10 and in by 4. I think it's fair enough to be moving to winter regime around now.

Our fields were totally trashed by March, not because they'd stayed out later in Autumn but because it rained every day from the middle of December to the middle of February apart from one short cold spell for a few days in January when all the water lying on the fields froze. I've never known such a wet winter. Ours was the only yard for miles where they were all still getting daily turnout.

Iwantakitten

Visit site
Ours stay out 24/7 usually until at least clocks change. Last year we stretched that a bit further. They then switch onto daytime turn out with the times in the darkest of the winter being out around 8am to 4pm every day. They all got out every day for at least a few hours even on the worst wet and stormy days. We hay in the field for those that need it once the grass starts dying off. Fields never really got horrendous but then we had 5 at the yard (livery not mine) on around 16 acres so lots of space.