Anyone else not like having the dog on the bed at night?

Snuffles

Visit site
My dogs have several beds distributed throughout the house, but mostly sleep on the floor during the day ! The favoured dog bed is the one in the hall where dog can see through the porch door and watch the world go by

Pattie

Visit site
My dogs have several beds distributed throughout the house, but mostly sleep on the floor during the day ! The favoured dog bed is the one in the hall where dog can see through the porch door and watch the world go by

We always do that with our dogs, give them lots of beds to choose from, but not ours!

Beth206

Visit site
Our little JRT thinks our bed is hers, she used to be downstairs in the kitchen but OH starts work practically in the middle of the night and she wouldn't settle once he left so I just used to let her out for an easier life. Our rescue lab who was 10 when we got him and now 13 never used to try get upstairs on a night but now if you go upstairs without him he sits at the bottom barking his head off until you go back down to help him up. He sleeps at the side of the bed, I couldn't to a big dog in bed but the little one is no bother.

Someone tried to break in the other night, lab didn't bat an eye lid but the terrier was going mental in the spare bedroom window and they scarpered so she has earned her keep.

danda

Visit site
My dogs don't sleep on the bed but when I am looking after my son's dog he sleeps on the bed as this is what he does when he's at home. My son even took the legs off the bed so dog had easy access (after an operation on his neck not allowed to jump etc). Basically I don't mind but he snores and seems to take up a lot of room and if you have the misfortune to go to the loo during the night he seems to spread out and block all access when you try to get back in. So all in all I would rather he didn't but

oldie48

Visit site
some years ago when we had two BTs my husband worked away quite a lot. The BTs had never been allowed upstairs but when OH started working away, tbh I felt a bit vulnerable in a big house on my own so I let them sleep on the bed, on a special blanket. They never asked to come upstairs when OH was home, but when he was away, as soon as I got up to go to bed, they went and sat at the bottom of the stairs and followed me up. They always waited to be invited up on the bed and never left the special blanket. They made me feel very safe although tbh they would have licked a burglar to death. When we visited relatives they wouldn't stay happily downstairs but slept together on the special blanket by the bed. They did the same in hotels and holiday cottages, dogs aren't stupid, are they?

Clodagh

Visit site
some years ago when we had two BTs my husband worked away quite a lot. The BTs had never been allowed upstairs but when OH started working away, tbh I felt a bit vulnerable in a big house on my own so I let them sleep on the bed, on a special blanket. They never asked to come upstairs when OH was home, but when he was away, as soon as I got up to go to bed, they went and sat at the bottom of the stairs and followed me up. They always waited to be invited up on the bed and never left the special blanket. They made me feel very safe although tbh they would have licked a burglar to death. When we visited relatives they wouldn't stay happily downstairs but slept together on the special blanket by the bed. They did the same in hotels and holiday cottages, dogs aren't stupid, are they?

When I go away, sadly not often enough, the labs sleep on our bed with OH. They never even try when I am home, so like you say they do know.

Elsbells

Visit site
Cocker spaniel isn't allowed upstairs, but recently eldest son has been taking her to his room at night downstairs. He is deaf without his hearing aids and she bounces about on his bed to wake him up. Usually just for morning time, but we haven't stopped it as she will wake him up for emergencies too. So she gets to sleep in a bed in exchange for a very important job :)
That's lovely

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I am always amazed at how many people allow dogs on their beds. I adore my dogs, they are my family and company as I live alone but I wouldn’t like them in bed with me. No dogs upstairs or on furniture, they have very comfy beds in a dog room at night and in my kitchen with me in the day. They never attempt to get up on anything even the 5 month old pup.

Whereas I am equally amazed at how many people DON'T allow dogs either on their beds or upstairs :lol:

We've never allowed any of our dogs to sleep all night in our bedroom. I think it just create problems if you need to leave them with anyone else for any reason. A dog who can sleep independently downstairs (and also accepts being crated) is much more likely to be welcomed by friend or family than one that has to sleep on the bed with people!

The Westie has always slept in our bedroom, she starts the night off in her bed, then comes up around 2/3 am. She's stayed wih friends/family a few times and is quite happy wherever they put her. She can sleep independently but we like having her with us, and she likes to be with us. Same when we had Woolfie.

Maybe she's a particularly clean dog, but we never have problems with dirt or hair, or smells!!! We didn't have any problems with Woolfie either, and she had much longer hair. If our dogs smell, they get a bath. When they come in from a walk, if its been raining, they get their feet and bodies rubbed down before they come in the house. There's no hygiene issue as far as we can see, we're rarely ill which I think proves the point.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Whereas I am equally amazed at how many people DON'T allow dogs either on their beds or upstairs :lol:

The Westie has always slept in our bedroom, she starts the night off in her bed, then comes up around 2/3 am. She's stayed wih friends/family a few times and is quite happy wherever they put her. She can sleep independently but we like having her with us, and she likes to be with us. Same when we had Woolfie.

Maybe she's a particularly clean dog, but we never have problems with dirt or hair, or smells!!! We didn't have any problems with Woolfie either, and she had much longer hair. If our dogs smell, they get a bath. When they come in from a walk, if its been raining, they get their feet and bodies rubbed down before they come in the house. There's no hygiene issue as far as we can see, we're rarely ill which I think proves the point.

Same here, can't understand it when people think it's odd. Nothing better than a doggy hot water bottle.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
The time I miss my Woolfie most is first thing in the morning, she used to snuggle up and put her front legs around my neck and have a proper cuddle, she'd make this happy groaning noise, every day. What I'd give to have that again.

Pattie

Visit site
The time I miss my Woolfie most is first thing in the morning, she used to snuggle up and put her front legs around my neck and have a proper cuddle, she'd make this happy groaning noise, every day. What I'd give to have that again.

I feel for you.We rescued a dog from the street, we had her for 11 years and she died last year aged about 15 ish. I too would do anything for one more cuddle with her.

Chiffy

Visit site
So sorry JB, your post made me feel very sad for you.

There is no right or wrong with where we like our dogs to be.
There seems to be two distinct camps of who likes dogs on beds and those of us who dont. It’s individual taste, as long as dogs and people are happy that’s all that matters.

Karran

Visit site
I was always told no dogs on furniture or bed.

It took Mrs Spaniel 6 months to undo the not being allowed on furniture rules once I was satisfied she would move down when asked and not jump up without permission!

Bed is a compromise! She's allowed on for special occasions only! Birthday, rehoming day, Christmas and if we stay at a hotel or if she and her team win a frilly at a flyball comp!
She never begs or tries to jump up and always looks super grateful and pleased when she is allowed up!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

Aw JB, so sorry xx

Poppy dog makes a deep grunting sound if I cup her face and give her an ear rub, whilst looking into her eyes, it's the only time she does that :)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
So sorry JB, your post made me feel very sad for you.

There is no right or wrong with where we like our dogs to be.
There seems to be two distinct camps of who likes dogs on beds and those of us who dont. It’s individual taste, as long as dogs and people are happy that’s all that matters.

Don't be sorry, I try to be grateful and happy for the joy and love she brought into my life albeit for such a short time.

We all love our dogs and at the end of the day as long as we make them as happy as they make us, that's all that matters.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
One of the rehoming charities was pretty leery about rehoming a dog to a friend who allows all her dogs and cats to share her bed. One of the questions she had to answer at the rehoming check was 'where will your pet sleep at night?'

They thought that folk allow their dog to share their bed are weak softies who are incapable of setting appropriate boundaries.

*don't shoot the messenger*

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I don’t mind the dogs or the cat on the bed, but draw the line at in it. When we got Luna, I was adamant we would crate train her, but OH felt sorry for her as Aled and Ozzie were upstairs. She is crate trained, but now she’s clean in the house, she isn’t shut in it at night any more. Ozzie the cat always sleeps on our bed, Aled will come on for a little while and then goes to sleep on the floor beside us. Luna takes up as much room and she can, and literally then dies and doesn’t move until one of us gets up!

Cloball

Visit site
I have relented! I can't say no to big brown eyes and cute noises. But I have drawn the line at both cats, the westie and the OH so its currently just the westie and me :D

Although the cat got in yesterday at 4 am, climbed under the duvet, woke the dog up and then played a game of chase... one under and one over the duvet :mad: