Anyone else priced out?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
With both of mine off games until winter for different reasons, I figured I'd pick up a project to get out and about over summer and then sell in time for PC camps etc...

Imagine my horror when I have to shell out 5k to get a 14.2 with 4 legs...! Before you even get to soundness, backed, age..etc.

Is anyone else becoming priced out of horses? I know I'm very "lucky" to have my sicknotes, but a few years ago I'd have been able to spend under 2k to pick something OK but not world beating up and then get it to see the world and see what it's good at, then sell for atleast breaking even accounting for livery costs etc.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have one on loan and am attempting to breed my own now. Though i do also have one on the market currently and i think you're probably now competing with a bazillion other people wanting a cheap project now OP.

watching the wanted/FB ads etc there seems to be a huge number of people wanting quite a bit at that budget. so probably any that are there would be moving on pretty fast. add to that the "quick collection" type dealers who are also shopping at that price point. demand probably much higher than supply.

Mine was in that ballpark unbacked but he owes me a bit more now in work so price has gone up!

ihatework

Visit site
If I wanted to buy then yes I probably would be priced out of the sporthorse market, primarily because I’d refuse to pay 5 figures for badly conformed and poorly produced young horses. The good ones are eye watering amounts.

I just thank god I bought young/bred!

FlyingCircus

Visit site
If I wanted to buy then yes I probably would be priced out of the sporthorse market, primarily because I’d refuse to pay 5 figures for badly conformed and poorly produced young horses. The good ones are eye watering amounts.

I just thank god I bought young/bred!
It's like as soon as they have 4 legs they start at 5k at the moment ? Even if one leg is sown on at 90 degrees

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I have one on loan and am attempting to breed my own now. Though i do also have one on the market currently and i think you're probably now competing with a bazillion other people wanting a cheap project now OP.

watching the wanted/FB ads etc there seems to be a huge number of people wanting quite a bit at that budget. so probably any that are there would be moving on pretty fast. add to that the "quick collection" type dealers who are also shopping at that price point. demand probably much higher than supply.

Mine was in that ballpark unbacked but he owes me a bit more now in work so price has gone up!
? This is probably 2 years away or so for me with my mare..so only 6/7 years to wait to sit on it ? Don't know how you find the patience. I'm bored silly with nothing to do. Can't do ground work (colic surgery), can't ride...what do I do with myself.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
? This is probably 2 years away or so for me with my mare..so only 6/7 years to wait to sit on it ? Don't know how you find the patience. I'm bored silly with nothing to do. Can't do ground work (colic surgery), can't ride...what do I do with myself.
thats what the loan horse is for! something to ride while I enjoy the tiddler growing up. first attempt is now 2yo and has been a lot of fun already.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
thats what the loan horse is for! something to ride while I enjoy the tiddler growing up. first attempt is now 2yo and has been a lot of fun already.
Maybe this is what I need to look for then. I don't mind bringing on a youngster for "free" for someone to have back either...I just want something to ride ?

asmp

Visit site
With both of mine off games until winter for different reasons, I figured I'd pick up a project to get out and about over summer and then sell in time for PC camps etc...

Imagine my horror when I have to shell out 5k to get a 14.2 with 4 legs...! Before you even get to soundness, backed, age..etc.

Is anyone else becoming priced out of horses? I know I'm very "lucky" to have my sicknotes, but a few years ago I'd have been able to spend under 2k to pick something OK but not world beating up and then get it to see the world and see what it's good at, then sell for atleast breaking even accounting for livery costs etc.
Assume you’re keeping an eye out on nfed? Although my jaw did drop at someone asking £8,500 for a 12.3 bog standard pony the other day! Wondered if they had added an extra 0 by mistake.

paddi22

Visit site
Was chatting to physio and dentist recently and they've noticed a slight trend for their clients to move out of livery yards to cheaper diy or grass livery places? I wonder are the rising costs starting to be felt by people? I think the cost of forage this year will be a tough one as well. Through loaning etc I know I've cut down from 7 to 2, purely because of cost.

pistolpete

Visit site
Ex racers are the only thing in my budget now and I wouldn’t go there. Never actually ridden a TB. I know some are lovely.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I have been priced out full stop unless things come down substantially. My type of horse is something 16.2hh+ and a sports horse/warmblood/ID type - I have bought this type before on the cheap as a pity buy or from purchasing a loan and both times I have been thoroughly burned and have lost them to whatever health issues they had sooner rather than later. I simply couldn't afford a horse of that type without some sort of compromise and I am too fat to buy something smaller currently, although hopefully not for too much longer!

SEL

Visit site
I spent the insurance money from the storm damage on mine!!

I've seen some nice TBs out of racing with a bit of retraining done that are low £ks.

JJS

Visit site
I couldn’t afford to buy right now either, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. If it came to it and I was without a ridden one, I’d be tempted to breed my next. I’ve loved the experience of raising Flower, so I’d potentially part loan in the interim and just have a few years without my own horse to ride. It’s not like I’d have the luxury of buying one anyway! ?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
<----- He'll probably be my last, after 50+ years of riding.

I'm getting too old for young/quirky/projects and I simply couldn't afford another sane, sensible 15hh+ all-rounder.
I dont mind quirky projects, but after a (genuine) bolter at £3k, something with a nasty buck and sore back that is £4k... I don't mind spending abit of ££ on a gamble but £3k + for a gamble is something I'm not super comfortable with

catembi

Visit site
people who say "no TBs" might be cutting off their nose to spite their face. there's a lot of variety in the breed.

eta not saying that's you pp, but i see it in a lot of ads.

Yes, this! Out of all the horses I have ever owned, my latest ex racer is the safest and most laid back. I can genuinely take him anywhere and do anything with him and he’s solid as a rock. Currently lame, but we won’t go there…