Anyone else snowed in?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I know! Just waiting for it to stop actively snowing then I'm going to fashion something out of all the various bits of harness and wood I have lying about. If you dont hear from me again it didnt end well :lol:

Whatever, we need pictures!

I gave mine the choice of in or out this morning. They went out. For, ooh, at least thirty seconds. Then ran back straight into the barn. There's a very sharp wind out there and a very big stack of haylage in the barn. :D

Pc2003

Visit site
Yep we are! Literally has not stopped snowing since 1am. It has just snowed non stop. We have tonnes of the stuff. Couldn’t get my car out of my village. Loads of cars just abandoned along the roads. I can’t walk to my yard as too far so someone close to the yard has kindly hay/water/skipped out and they will try do the same later this pm. Goodness knows what wiill happen tomorrow

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Snowed in? I wish!

We had a light dusting of hail and snow on Friday afternoon, then another dusting of snow Friday night, so the view from the bedroom window was pretty on Saturday morning. Yesterday, at the morning lesson, a girl turned her back on a horse she was kitting up and it just wandered out of its stall and into the yard. Then it tried to trot along a concrete path to a patch of grass, but there was a patch of ice.... Lots of skating noises and frightened whinnying ensued, before the instructor and I cornered the mare and got a head collar on her.

But the temperature climbed, the snow and ice all melted, and today has just been gusty with the occasional light rain shower. We started this "morning's" class (in quote marks, because it started at 11h00) in the covered area, but the manager has allowed cherry laurel to grow up high along the side and the gusts of wind were making the branches scrape and slap against the polycarbonate windows. Twice, this was enough to panic a couple of the horses and one girl was thrown.

We all insisted that we'd rather brave the weather outside than risk another accident.

I'd much rather have calm and six to eight inches of snow, than the gusty weather we had today.

3Beasties

Visit site
We've got lots if snow in Hereford. It hasn't stopped snowing today! Not sure if I could get out or not, it would be a challenge I would think!

Have stayed home and had fun with the dog

20171210_094227_039_01_zpsqbxfxijk.jpg

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
We've got lots if snow in Hereford. It hasn't stopped snowing today! Not sure if I could get out or not, it would be a challenge I would think!

Great picture!

Wet and very windy here. My old boy went out this morning and was not a happy boy and threw a strop! He was out for 2 hours whilst I mucked out, did various jobs etc.

I don’t want him injuring himself so he’s now in with a haynet.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
My husband says the snow is 10" deep but I'm not going to check! Snowplough / tractor has cleared the lane once but continual snow has covered it again. No traffic here apart from farmer feeding sheep and a few crazy walkers. (See my photos on other "snow " thread)

hibshobby

Visit site
Lovely yard owner turned out this morning. I got there eventually in my 4x4 to muck out and do feeds and haynets for the next couple of days. Yard owner offered to bring in and turn out tomorrow so went with that, otherwise it's just stopped snowing here. Thank goodness for lovely helpers :)

SEL

Visit site
We had sleet forecast but woke up to pretty white stuff. Wasn't too bad when we left the house to go and do horses - until we reached the hill and saw cars piled up everywhere. Roads weren't gritted last night and there was ice under the snow so cars sliding all over the place. We turned around with me phoning YO & other liveries to find someone to throw hay at my horses. Finally got there about 1 and gave 2 VERY grumpy ponies some grub and fresh water.

Think they were a bit warm in their rugs but OH wanted to get home before the roads got worse, so they'll have to deal. Good call because we had to get the shovels out 5 mins from home to clear ice.

P'd off with the weather. PSSM mare has been going so well but has now had 2 days on unsoaked hay and no exercise. High chance of going bleugh next week :(

JJS

Visit site
I'm so jealous. Snow was forecast here and I was very much looking forward to it, but we've not even had enough for it to settle :(

Stormy13

Visit site
We've had tons of it here in north Herefordshire, couldn't get out my drive let alone near the ponies 4 miles away. Yo and another livery doing them thankfully but i hate not being able to get there 😕

C1airey

Visit site
Pretty rough trip to the yard this morning. Got 99% of the way there, then took 45 minutes to travel about 200yds. Had to stop and dig car out about four times on same stretch of road.

Impossible to get to our fields safely, although he showed no sign of wanting to go out. Given that he’s booked for a tooth extraction and sinus flush later this week, standing in the driving snow would probably have been a bit much anyway. Left him with extra of everything and YO looking in on him tonight. Feels weird not doing evening stable run.

Today’s snow is supposed to be tomorrow’s ice, and the yard is in a particularly exposed spot. Not looking forward to making the trip again tomorrow.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
North Worcestershire kopped it good and proper. A good 8/9 inches, we went to horses at 6am and the first vehicle in the lanes, 4x4 was fine but I was worried I would drop it in a ditch. I know the lanes so well yet everything is so different when covered in snow. Coming home at 9 lots of cars getting were getting stuck on the main road.

My golden oldie was not a happy camper, his barn had let a lot of snow in through the weather boarding and stock gale break. His bed was covered in snow and he had 3 inches of snow on his rug. He was just warm when I found him and I evicted a younger horse from her barn so he could have it.

It has snowed steadily all day and is still going, the main roads have been ploughed but the side roads are impossible without a 4x4. Tomorrow morning is going to be tricky for many. It will all be gone by Thursday and then flooding and mud will be the next challenge for us.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Had about 6 inches here as apposed to 2, had to muckout and used the barrow for the first one, then too hard to push to muck hill so used the sledge and poo bucket. Horses were scared of things that were covered in snow, like the caravan and things. Also loads of cracking where fir trees branches broke under the weight, and came down on the ponies fencing.

Dee pooing the fields was fun (not) used the sledge and poo bucket as the tractor may have got stuck and barrow would have been a no no.

got wet through this morning, then chucked all in dryer only to get wet again an hour later. Did not need to go out but liveries did, I have a 4x4 so could if I needed and prob will have to tomorrow.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I would not wish for it. It makes travel here difficult and sometimes dangerous.

I think that the problem is not getting a decent snowfall often enough to justify the cost of having all the right kit.

When I lived in New Jersey, almost every winter would see a decent covering of six to eight inches of snow overnight. But because it was so regular, the local authorities went to expense of preparing properly for it. When snow was forecast, grit, salt and some sort of liquid would be spread on roads before the snowfall. Then snowploughs were fitted to the front of the bin lorries, and they would go and clear the main roads first, then do the secondary roads.

The type of snow must also affect driving conditions a lot, though. I used to drive my little VW Golf convertible or my wife's Toyota Highlander on snow covered roads, and found the Golf to be almost as capable as the Highlander, even with 4WD and with the traction control turned on. Snow is really quite grippy if it's not been packed down to a sheet of ice. In England, though, it's often seemed to me that the snow is packed to ice, or else it's so thin that the tyres are pressing through it to the sheet of slippery water and ice mix underneath it.

southerncomfort

Visit site

Brilliant picture!! :)

The snow had iced over this morning. Don't have a thermometer but I would guess it was about -5 or -6 on the yard this morning. The dog was shivering so much even in her coat that I had to pick her up and carry her back indoors.

The Shogun managed the icy hill road outside this morning (love that car, never let us down yet!) so all good. :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
We had loads of snow overnight Saturday then more yesterday it's windy today with sideways sleet, we had no electricity from about 10am until about 8pm yesterday it was freezing and very boring, my horses are still living out as I have a broken ankle so no mucking out for me I may actually get someone to get mine in tonight as it's going to really freeze over, I just worry as I have concrete hard standing in part of my field I just don't want them slipping on it.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Trying to concentrate at work and mind keeps drifting to the fact I need to get to the yard later and the snow is starting to settle and they've lost power as well. Don't finish til half 4 and it's the busy time of the month and I've used all my holiday.

Getting annoyed seeing fb posts from people who don't have commitments or work hoping the snow settles I'm hoping it gets lost it's fine if you don't have to go anywhere yes but not if you do!

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Thankfully it wasn't too bad here and didn't interfere with getting to and from the yard and the vet. Our small companion mare has been on box rest since the end of November (sepsis-associated laminitis), so she needs checking at least three times a day :(