Anyone else started clipping?

JoshuaR97

Visit site
Already thinking about giving one Welsh a trace clip to start him off as this weekend he is starting to do his hunt fitting meets. His coat has already thickened up a little and he's starting to sweat. He is currently out 24/7 without a rug as the weather at the moment in the East Midlands is a little touch and go. Has anyone already or thinking about clipping yet?

Michen

Visit site
Yep I would be clipping now if I had my own clippers and didn't have to faff around with sedative gel. Hoping to clip next week

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My part bred is a very hairy lady already - when she's in full work I usually clip her on the August bank holiday but she's only doing little bits at the moment so I'm just leaving her for now.

Oddly enough my sec D still looks sleek and shiny in her summer coat. Long may it last. I hate hairy horses, but I hate rugging in this inbetween season even more.

supsup

Visit site
Done a bib clip on Saturday, in part to test/check clippers and blades before sending off for service (running a bit late this year). That way, I won't be inconvenienced if it takes a bit to get the clipper/blades back. Also, the forecast at the moment looks for continued warm weather, and pony is getting very fluffy.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
What are the benefits of clipping earlier rather later when the whole coat has come through? (I'm fairly new to clipping) Thanks :)

I don't think there are any tbh! :D
My hairy one grows her coat in early, and then keeps growing it. I have to clip her about every 3 -4 weeks until Christmas, when she finally gives up and then it's just cat hairs to tidy up.

Only reason I clip her this early is so she doesn't get so hot when in work. I have my own clippers so it's no skin off my nose if I have to do her multiple times.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Think I'm going to clip on Saturday. I don't leave a single hair on! I'll have to do her again for opening meet, but as I do her myself it's no bother.

Jo1987

Visit site
I clipped around this time last year, won't ever do it again, the poor chap was driven mad by the flies! Had to trot everywhere for 3 weeks 😂
He doesn't seem as fluffy this year though so hopefully I won't need to get the clippers out til October.

Sparkles

Visit site
Yep. I've never clipped this early on any of mine before but he's a heavy bodied cob and trying to keep him fully fitted for the Hunter trial finals in 4 weeks time and cubbing...... And the sweat is just pouring off him! He's fit, but just soaked through every session now. He's being clipped as we speak. Not his favourite thing though!!!

ossy

Visit site
I was just thinking this last night too, I usually clip around the last weekend in September but mine is so sweaty already, I ride after work and it's still really warm at the moment and she dripping after just 20 mins she's as fit as she's ever been so I think it must just be quite mild. I'm going to have to do her early this year and then usually it's only 3or 4 weeks to her second clip then I get away with just 2 more during winter.

benz

Visit site
Yes clipped hairy cob (Irish clip) a few days ago, would have done it earlier but stable flies suddenly came out in force :( couldn't wait any longer though. Would have taken more off but he has pink skin and worried about sunburn.

The rest can wait a few weeks thankfully!

mytwofriends

Visit site
I just need to pick up my clippers from being serviced, and I'll clip as soon as possible after that. My oldie is really warm with his toupee (has Cushings so it's growing in mostly on the top - yes, odd!), so the sooner I can do it the better. He was sweating this morning.

He's a total gentleman (albeit huge), so clipping isn't a chore thankfully.

Jenna1406

Visit site
I am planning clipping my 4 year old cob soon as she is sweating as soon as you put the saddle on and she is really fit also but at the end of a hack or schooling session she is dropping in sweat. Might attempt it one night.