Anyone feed naked oats?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
They are superior oats, a plain white sack with just that and naked oats in smaller type written on them. I wish I could find a local stockists, £16 a bag is toppy.

I had the most relaxed hack in a long time this morning. We were a happy pair. No boots on, either. ?

ycbm

Visit site
This morning's news is that they went straight through him completely undigested :( So he would need flaked micronised ones, which are hugely expensive when you include delivery, and I think I'd rather just accept that I have to sit and wait for him to eat the grass pellets he's doing so well on.

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
This morning's news is that they went straight through him completely undigested :( So he would need flaked micronised ones, which are hugely expensive when you include delivery, and I think I'd rather just accept that I have to sit and wait for him to eat the grass pellets he's doing so well on.

Oh bugger.
Well I'll assume that the same would happen with kira then because it definitely does with bruised or crushed ones. I'll stick with my turbo flakes then.

ycbm

Visit site
I can send you a kilo if you want to try them, but I think she'll probably be the same.

ycbm

Visit site
Masham Micronized flaked naked oats have arrived and he's eaten them happily, so now we'll see if he digests them. I'll report in a day or so.

Meanwhile I'm going to have the fattest birds in the country with twenty three kilos of the uncooked ones to get rid of!

Hallo2012

Visit site
very fat and shiny crows!!!!

raf is on bog standard farm rolled oats BUT hes only getting a scoop at a time AM and PM and he scoffs, so not much time wasted!!!! would soaking bruised or rolled oats 1. soften them enough to be digested and 2. speed up eating? mine eat wet stuff quicker than dry? you may have tried already.......

wouldnt bother with chesnut HF, the only person i know who uses them has crappy, run up, scurfy, looking hat racks.....

eggs

Visit site
I used to soak the oats overnight to help stop them becoming bird food in the fields. It did seem to help as it softens the hard husk and makes them easier to digest.

Auslander

Visit site
wouldnt bother with chesnut HF, the only person i know who uses them has crappy, run up, scurfy, looking hat racks.....

Mine aren't crappy, run up, or scurfy looking - and they certainly aren't hat racks!!
Admittedly, I mostly use their grass chaff, except for one horse, who is hunting hard, so needs a bit of rocket fuel.

Hallo2012

Visit site
Mine aren't crappy, run up, or scurfy looking - and they certainly aren't hat racks!!
Admittedly, I mostly use their grass chaff, except for one horse, who is hunting hard, so needs a bit of rocket fuel.

deffo wasnt talking about yours!!!!! i think these are fed the sugary mix only, which i also find random as she is scared of them being fresh!!!!

ycbm

Visit site
I used to soak the oats overnight to help stop them becoming bird food in the fields. It did seem to help as it softens the hard husk and makes them easier to digest.

Soaking makes them bigger and I'm trying to reduce the volume of feed while keeping the energy and protein levels the same.

Fingers are crossed on the cooked rolled version, he certainly finished up quicker this morning :)

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
very fat and shiny crows!!!!

We have rooks mostly and ravens too, they're going to be really impressive!

would soaking bruised or rolled oats 1. soften them enough to be digested and 2. speed up eating? mine eat wet stuff quicker than dry? you may have tried already ...

I'm using the naked oats to reduce the volume. Its shocking how big a kilo of grass nuts is when you completely soak them! A kilo of naked oats is about the same feed value and only a third of the size of the soaked grass nuts I'm trying to replace.

Fingers crossed he's digested them this time I'll know tomorrow.

Last edited:

Auslander

Visit site
deffo wasnt talking about yours!!!!! i think these are fed the sugary mix only, which i also find random as she is scared of them being fresh!!!!
No worries - didn't think you were!
i've got one on the high octane mix, and he does very well on it, but he burns all the sugar off out hunting! The others are all on pretty basic rations, as they aren't in much work.

Carrottom

Visit site
I used to feed my older tb rolled oats from a very busy feed store so they were always fresh. Although the husks wouldn't be digested fully he definitely digested a fair amount of the energy. I could tell how much I was feeding by his ridden behaviour, if I overdid it he became a complete loon?
He is also a slow eater but did munch these up quite quickly mixed with a little mushy fast fibre.

ycbm

Visit site
Well they've all gone! Not a shred of oat visible in his poop.

Now we see if his behaviour or weight is affected, and go from there ...

Reactions: HBB

ycbm

Visit site
The bad news appears to be that he's not maintaining his weight on them. And while it's possible that his gut biome will adjust and that will improve, at this time of year with a lean TB, I dare not take the risk.

They also aren't reducing his eating time enough to justify costing 70% more than grass nuts. So tonight I will be putting him back on 3kg of grass nuts a day.

I'm beginning to believe, from how little muscle he had when he arrived and how easily he loses it, (and the fact that's oats are lower bio available protein than grass), to think that he has a mild protein absorption issue, so I'm going to look at whey and other high protein additives that won't add too much bulk.

All suggestions welcome but please not Equitop Myoplast, it's a hugely expensive way of feeding spirulina in a sugar coating.

indie1282

Visit site
The bad news appears to be that he's not maintaining his weight on them. And while it's possible that his gut biome will adjust and that will improve, at this time of year with a lean TB, I dare not take the risk.

They also aren't reducing his eating time enough to justify costing 70% more than grass nuts. So tonight I will be putting him back on 3kg of grass nuts a day.

I'm beginning to believe, from how little muscle he had when he arrived and how easily he loses it, (and the fact that's oats are lower bio available protein than grass), to think that he has a mild protein absorption issue, so I'm going to look at whey and other high protein additives that won't add too much bulk.

All suggestions welcome but please not Equitop Myoplast, it's a hugely expensive way of feeding spirulina in a sugar coating.

Why do you need to reduce his eating time so much?

ycbm

Visit site
As per post no 11, Thrive gives them a huuuuge appetite and they wolf their food down.

Equi Jewel is calorie rich.

I saw it Red, thanks :)

He already has a huge appetite and unlimited forage of very high quality :) I watch him eating all night through. And he worm counts zero.

ycbm

Visit site
I would be tempted to try to make the change more gradual, giving his gut a chance to adjust.

I can't afford him to lose weight at this time of year just so I dont have to sit and wait for him to eat. I did it as a 1/3 change and he's lost weight. For the rest of the winter, having just got him stable after a serious soya intolerance, I'd rather leave him on the grass nuts he does really well on than take any risk.

indie1282

Visit site
Post numbers 1 and 10.

So its it's because hes a slow eater and you dont want to wait for him to finish before moving him?

Am I right in thinking that you keep him at home? Can you not feed him then go and do something else while hes eating? I have one that's a slow eater and I have to stay with him otherwise my other one will chase him off. It usually take about 20 mins - not so fun when its tipping down with rain!!

ycbm

Visit site
So its it's because hes a slow eater and you dont want to wait for him to finish before moving him?

Am I right in thinking that you keep him at home? Can you not feed him then go and do something else while hes eating? I have one that's a slow eater and I have to stay with him otherwise my other one will chase him off. It usually take about 20 mins - not so fun when its tipping down with rain!!

He's a slow eater AND he likes his food wet AND grass nuts work well for him but are HUGE when soaked.

However, see post 52, I am keeping him on them for the rest of the winter.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

I don't think mine has an absorption issue but he struggles if the hay isn't high enough in protein, it's cut on site and I have no choice in forage. Two years ago awful harvest and struggled all winter, last year with rocket fuel hay he did really well and I added nothing, this year the hay is OK but not as good as last year.

I can't up his linseed enough to give protein that way as he won't eat more than about 150g over 2 feeds. Same with the Copra, he gets as much as he will eat.

I've fed myoplast, won a tub in a competition, spirulina worked better than the Myoplast but it may be that I was feeding more active ingredient by the time you allowed for the proportion of sugar, the spirulina doesn't exactly come with a handy scoops per large horse.

This year I'm feeding whey powder and he's looking OK, don't really feed as much as I should as he leaves it if i put too much in.

The other thing I fed which seemed to help was Coolstance Powerstance, it's concentrated and was very palatable. Another competition win and a bit expensive to actually pay for.

indie1282

Visit site
He's a slow eater AND he likes his food wet AND grass nuts work well for him but are HUGE when soaked.

However, see post 52, I am keeping him on them for the rest of the winter.

That's good.

I also use grass nuts so know the volume they swell to when soaked. I feed large quantities as well. I have fed them for years and really rate them for weight gain.

ycbm

Visit site
Criso how much whey do you use? I'm finding 100g a day recommended and that makes it pretty pricey.

BlackRider

Visit site
I don't know which grass nuts you are feeding but SS do the red bag grass nuts which are a higher protein nut (my arab used to do well on these).

There is also their top nosh if you wanted an oil based top up to (although its a bit pricy).