Anyone had any experience from Billy Stud

ihatework

Visit site
Well it might be moot - I emailed them and no reply. I guess perhaps you have to call?

I imagine they get a lot of emails!
I’d give them a call. When I was looking Donal did call me back but it took a couple of weeks! That was quite a while ago, hopefully they will have some office admin help now.

BunnyDog

Visit site
@Xanthoria Just a tip.... and I am in America so obviously take with a HUGE grain of salt. I bought Cudo and Chad from regular people. They cost under or around 10k GBP each.

For sure they're two very nice horses. Now I have Cudo at 1.25 and he did 1.20 there when I bought him. He will be 12 years old in 2019 but didn't jump much/ or at all before age 7 so we're all hopeful that he'll have some miles yet on his body. Certainly my barrage of x-rays didn't yield anything of concern or else he wouldn't have gotten on the plane. Cudo had been for sale in England for every bit of 4 months before I got him. That's 4 months where folks at home didn't recognize or appreciate what he looked like in pics or video or whatever.

I would highly recommend searching the Facebook groups. Asking for lots of pics/videos and looking up records. You don't have to buy a 4 yr old to find the 1.20 ability and it might be a bit more fun to be able to go out and do it sooner.

And I am laughing at 1.20 being considered 'mediocre' over here anything above 1.10m is beyond at least 50% of our showing population. But then we kind of dug our own grave with our shows. (But I don't want to distract from your thread)

Em

Xanthoria

Visit site
@Xanthoria Just a tip.... and I am in America so obviously take with a HUGE grain of salt. I bought Cudo and Chad from regular people. They cost under or around 10k GBP each.

For sure they're two very nice horses. Now I have Cudo at 1.25 and he did 1.20 there when I bought him. He will be 12 years old in 2019 but didn't jump much/ or at all before age 7 so we're all hopeful that he'll have some miles yet on his body. Certainly my barrage of x-rays didn't yield anything of concern or else he wouldn't have gotten on the plane. Cudo had been for sale in England for every bit of 4 months before I got him. That's 4 months where folks at home didn't recognize or appreciate what he looked like in pics or video or whatever.

I would highly recommend searching the Facebook groups. Asking for lots of pics/videos and looking up records. You don't have to buy a 4 yr old to find the 1.20 ability and it might be a bit more fun to be able to go out and do it sooner.

And I am laughing at 1.20 being considered 'mediocre' over here anything above 1.10m is beyond at least 50% of our showing population. But then we kind of dug our own grave with our shows. (But I don't want to distract from your thread)

Em

Hah! Yes I know - 1.20 is out of the realms of imagination of most people I know in the US! ;)

I did take your advice, and am scouring the FB pages, and seeing lots to like. I have a trip up to Portland/Seattle in 2 weeks and if all 4 horses I am seeing are boring, I know I need to go (back) to the UK. The idea that I can get a horse who is already out competing at 1m, or 1.10 and in my budget is awesome!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don't think it's any different in the UK. Im 20 courses are also out of the realms of imagination of the vast majority of riders in the UK. Only a tiny proportion of riders will ever jump a course at that height. The prices sure are different though!

BunnyDog

Visit site
Hah! Yes I know - 1.20 is out of the realms of imagination of most people I know in the US! ;)

I did take your advice, and am scouring the FB pages, and seeing lots to like. I have a trip up to Portland/Seattle in 2 weeks and if all 4 horses I am seeing are boring, I know I need to go (back) to the UK. The idea that I can get a horse who is already out competing at 1m, or 1.10 and in my budget is awesome!

Did you reach out to Lindsey Fletcher? She's a great friend in that area and would be likely to know horses you might be seeing and she has lovely ones for sale too but they're in a higher budget point.

http://www.flyingfsporthorses.com/

You can tell her Emily sent you to her.

Em

MagicMelon

Visit site
(SORRY, but I have no idea how to quote anymore?! so...) "I am aiming for BE Novice/Intermediate eventing - about 120 - IOW I'll be disappointed if I buy a horse who cannot do that eventually. I bought a 6 month old Dutch colt who turns out not to have the jump now Ive started him, so I need something that's at least under saddle so I have a better idea of scope and willingness."

£10k-£15k you would easily get something with potential for 1.20/1.30's and BE novice/inter. I got a backed 4yo with absolutely no competition bloodlines for £2,300 several years ago, he easily did 1.20's and skipped round BE novices, was going to go intermediate until he injured himself and retired. IMO, you dont necessarily need the amazing bloodlines but you do need a really willing, genuine temperament as that'll take you far even if the horse itself isn't anything amazingly fancy. Ive ridden the odd horse with all the bloodlines, most seem to have attitude problems...

The Billy horses look amazing though, but I dont think you have to fork out for the Billy named horse necessarily.

Xanthoria

Visit site
£10k-£15k you would easily get something with potential for 1.20/1.30's and BE novice/inter. I got a backed 4yo with absolutely no competition bloodlines for £2,300 several years ago, he easily did 1.20's and skipped round BE novices, was going to go intermediate until he injured himself and retired. IMO, you dont necessarily need the amazing bloodlines but you do need a really willing, genuine temperament as that'll take you far even if the horse itself isn't anything amazingly fancy. Ive ridden the odd horse with all the bloodlines, most seem to have attitude problems...

That's great to hear - spending that much is actually doing my head in and I'd much prefer to keep it well under 10k! ;)

And funnily going to see a horse in the US next week with all the moves and some breeding, and a crummy attitude. For $25k. I mean, come on...

rextherobber

Visit site
I've been to a couple of The Billy Stud online auction weekends, you can see all the horses videos and X rays online. On the open days you can see the horses in the stables, then the 3 yr olds are loose in the indoor, jumped, and the 4, 5-6 year olds are all ridden and jumped. The 3 to auction is online on Sunday, the rest on Monday. Prices have gone up significantly in the last 3 years, and they have changed the auction end time to prevent last minute bidding, it ends when there are no bids for 5 minutes. The 3 yo's are generally most expensive, across the board, prices ranged between about £3000-£60000 this year. But I don't expect you want to wait another 10 months ... I have no experience of the stud apart from on auction weekends, but everyone is very friendly and approachable. Good luck with your horse shopping!