Anyone has a horse who has NEVER bucked,bolted or reared?

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Yes Fany, and she is perfectly able to do a huge buck, she was getting annoyed with her brother and bucked so high she nearly hit his face, she is 14-2hh and he is 17-3hh!

Why?
FDC

Cornish on the Cob

Visit site
Yes Fany, and she is perfectly able to do a huge buck, she was getting annoyed with her brother and bucked so high she nearly hit his face, she is 14-2hh and he is 17-3hh!

Why?
FDC

Just having confidence issues ATM and I'm convinced that she is going to do one of them yet she is the sweetest natured horse! Been watching too many you tube videos of things going wrong! :eek:

coen

Visit site
Oh I wish.... in all honesty I don't see how that's possible, even the most placid horse can get unsettled in certain situations surely?
My first horse was a placid cob type but even she would throw the odd buck on a hack or when fresh in the arena.
Second horse was an ex racer, again occasionally bucked if really fresh and reared once when the back field was completely submerged and looked like the sea.
Current horse has bucked, reared but never bolted thankfully.

Pachamama

Visit site
Yep. I had a TB who was so laid back he was horizontal. NOTHING could fluster him and he was too lazy for high jinks.

Brandy

Visit site
Yes, TB who I have owned for 13 years, has never bucked or reared. Also, he has never properly bolted - but he has taken off, but not in a blind panic bolt, just a 'oh dear you let me get too fast now you are NEVER gonna stop' way.....

Capriole

Visit site
my sporthorse gelding. Never put a foot wrong since I backed him. He can get quite strong in faster paces, but hes a very nice boy and has never bucked, reared, bolted etc (although he turns himself inside out when hes turned out). Unlike his mother who will throw you up a fence soon as look at you :D

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes I did I was around six he had very dense grey stuck on hair and a grey nylon mane and tail he was a Sindy horse then I got a real live one and it's been done hill since then .

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
My big mare has had the occasional bunny hop but no big bucks. She has occasionally got a bit light on the front end when being pushed too hard to do something she thinks is stupid but has never stood up. She has the occasional spook where she may canter for two strides from walk but she has never bolted or even tried to run away. She has just been ridden out in this weather:D

Flynn is spooky hacking by himself but won't bolt or run off. He has never bucked but has the odd cow kick if you smack him when he's being naughty. He has never stood up.

New boy has got over excited and bucked my friend off which was a major shock because I bought him as he made me feel so safe. He has never felt like it with me, he has never attempted to rear or to bolt or run away and his spooks are even less dramatic than the mare, he just canters for one stride! He's just been out in this weather too.

becca1305

Visit site
aside from out hunting which just blows my poor girls mind (though I am hoping she will settle soon) she has been foot perfect since I had her just backed. Even hunting I have been able to stop but its been a bit touch and go, not a pleasant experience. She occasionally did baby excited bouncy hops when cantering with jumps in the school or jumping when she first came to me, but never proper bucks. Aside from out hunting she's never put a foot wrong and she's been out and about competing etc and seen plenty but nothing seems to phase her.

Im not entirely sure she's ever reared actually as Ive never seen her do it in the field in the 2 1/2 years Ive had her (can see them in the fields from house windows so horse watch a lot!) despite her being the herd alpha, and also the two boys often rearing up when play fighting.

She even comes back nice enough when out galloping even in company although sometimes I have to ask more than once, it just seems out hunting that she goes brain dead! Im hoping she will settle soon as she's only been out twice- new bit on order too!- and then I will have my perfect pone back ;). That said I don't expect her to go through life without a couple of mishaps it would be lovely if she did and so far rearing/bucking just don't seem to even occur to her even when braindead out hunting, but you never know with horses! :)

Annagain

Visit site
Mine had never until this summer when he did a stupid pathetic little attempt at a rear whilst having a nappy strop at a TREC competition. It's the only time in 7 years he's ever had a real wallop from me so I don't think he'll try it again. He was an angel for the rest of the round - even being the only horse to go straight under a washing line without so much as a 2nd look - not easy when you're 16.3 and most of the others are 14hh.

My old boy never bucked or bolted but would regularly rear out of pure excitement and energy - he had to go somewhere and if he wasn't allowed forward, he'd have to go up. He was always totally in control though and it never felt unsafe if that's possible!

Another horse I rode liked the occasional bunny hop of a buck if he was excited, but again it was the sort of buck that made you laugh rather than frightening you. Even my friend's novicey husband could sit them out.

So, even if they do buck or rear it's not necessarily an awful thing. I used to like it when my old boy and my friend's horse did them as I knew they were enjoying themselves!

BeckyCandy

Visit site
My Pony has never done the above three even when other horses have gone mad she still remains in walk or standing. I've had her since I was 8 i'm now 20. She has done all pony club activities, shows, hacked with crazy horses, played horse ball and scarf polo, a bomb could go off and she would still remain with all four feet on the ground in the same gait she was already in. She's rarely done it in the field she's not a plod plod, shes responsive I rarely ride with a whip and she can move but I suppose she knows i'm in charge we have a very strong bond and she doesn't feel the need :) I'd send a 3 year old round a field on her alone knowing she'd come back in one piece. I've fallen off her once in that whole time when we were trotting along 2nd ride together and she put her head down to eat :p me being small tumbled over her head. She is a complete sweetie :) She's never bitten me either :)

fidleyspromise

Visit site
there were a few in our riding school that were like this. They were cheeky ie. one did try to march up behind horse in front to bite it.

My highland only bucks if you smack her AND she doesn't think its justified.
New Forest has never done anything (but only 'cause she's not backed :p )

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
My dear, darling little Fearne, who I've had since she was 3 and unbroken - she's 14 now, has never even thought of doing any of the above. She's a little saint really, and she leads quite an exciting life as display and stunt horse. She's half friesian, half araby-pony.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Nope. All mine have been nutters, but lovable with it! :eek:

I must be getting old though because whilst contemplating putting my mare in foal (even though I decided not to in the end), I found myself looking at stallions that were more of a cobby type and that you could put your granny on.

Tilda

Visit site
I don't have one but my YM does. Her 5 year old dales gelding is an absolute superstar and all us nervous nellies hack him when we're having confidence issues with our own. It may just be that he hasn't learnt to misbehave yet but he is just a very willing sweet pony :)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
My motto is always to try and trust them until they prove otherwise and then there is usually good reason. My WB bucked over his ears, but he was in immense pain.
My mare had a contact issue, years ago, but had a sharp hook on her teeth missed by the dentist. She has bucked with a novice on board who is used to riding school horses and she 'kicked' my mare to ask for trot and my sensitive girl went into orbit - you could almost see my mare asking 'how high shall I bronc?'.

Other than that they have been genuine at all times.

siennamum

Visit site
Sienna does get a bit strong when she is excited, but has never taken off, has never bucked, would no more rear than fly. She is a little darling tho.

Wheels

Visit site
Yes, I have an absolute angel of a horse who I bought for my husband to learn to ride on but luckily for me he decided he didn't want to ride so I have the joy of hacking this horse out until I get my youngster backed. Hacking out on a forward going, point where you want to go gentleman is a trully relaxing experience!

Once my youngster is ridden I think unfortunately the saint horse will need to be sold on :(

Mlini

Visit site
Mine!! :D :D :D *touch wood* Only naughty thing he does is spin & jog out hacking.. He's a 5yo TB.

I didn't think he could buck until I stuck a pessoa on him the other day! And he rears occasionally when turned out.

Never been on a horse that has properly bolted.

Syrah

Visit site
Mine hasn't with anyone on her back.

She throws the odd yeeehaaaah buck in on the lunge when she's feeling fresh. I don't think I've ever seen her rear or bolt, she's doesn't do any speed that she doesn't have too :D

Out hacking she just stops and looks if something worries her, in the school she'll leap to the side/scuttle forward for a couple of steps or stop and look.

I've booted her bum when being given a very bad leg up once and she just stood still.

Puppy

Visit site
Oh I wish.... in all honesty I don't see how that's possible, even the most placid horse can get unsettled in certain situations surely?

Really?!

Even if a horse gets unsettled I wouldn't expect such behaviour as standard - well, certainly not when they've got a rider on them.

My dear mare who passed away last summer after 14+ years with me never did any of the above in all the years I rode her. Yes, she'd shy a little at large vehicles, but true bolters are rare (and insanely dangerous!) and Star certainly wouldn't have dreamed of doing that (even when we were confronted by some dangerous dogs that were taken by the police and PTS) Nor would she dream of bucking or rearing. She was no plod either, but a well bred sports horse.

My retired mare (WB) threw some spooks and fly bucks when she was first sat upon after surgery and several months off, but that's it. She'd never have bucked when in standard work and certainly not bolted or reared. I can probably say the same about the TB I rebacked a few years back (not that he wasn't a sod for napping when younger :rolleyes:).

BigRed

Visit site
I have owned a pony, who never did anything like that and two chestnut mares. All these animals were competed regularly, and owned for over 10 years, they were well behaved, happy horses. Rearing, Bucking and bolting are serious issues and I don't consider it normal for a horse to do any of these things on a regular basis.

Spooking and shying and being "jolly", show the horse is alive, fit and well.

Hippona

Visit site
Mine has never bolted or taken off with me....but when faced with a place where he thinks a gallop would be nice he objects to being told to walk by behaving like a rocking horse and piaffing. Until about 3/4 of the way to the end when he realises that no- he isn't going to get his way and then he snorts/sighs and walks nicely.

If you let him go and gallop then he always comes back nicely and stops when asked.

He is a total nobber.