Anyone know a good birthday cake for a horse

horselady

Visit site
so It's my cob's birthday soon and I am getting her a fly veil. Has anyone baked their horse a cake? Can you give me some recipes please. Some reccommendations for fly veils too please.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Le Mieux fly veils are lovely and come in cob size which many dont.

I'm sure yours is the mare which is very overweight or in foal isnt it? Has the vet ruled out her being in foal yet?

fuzzymooch

Visit site
Aw happy birthday �� don't bake it but make Mr C's birthday cake by mixing oats, carrot and apple bits together with golden syrup then press it into a wedge shape. It's a sticky mess but he loves his ' cake'.

pansymouse

Visit site
Not a cake as such but I do make my own horse treats which go down an absolute storm with every horse I know. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
2 carrots
2 flavoursome apples
1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
230g molasses
170g rolled oats
385g whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons dried peppermint

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 175º C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick liners.
2. Shred the carrots and apples.
3. Put the shredded apples and carrots into a bowl, preferably of a stand mixer or food processor. Add the remaining ingredients.
4. Using the paddle attachment, beat the mixture until it is shiny.
5. Scoop out small even sized balls onto the baking sheets.
6. Bake for 1 hour or until dry all the way through. If the tops turn dark brown before the centres are done, cover lightly with a sheet of tinfoil. Cool on a wire rack.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I don't bother cooking anything, I think it's totally unnatural & an instant change in a horse's diet can cause issues. If you must do something them walk down the fruit & veg aisle at your supermarket. Buy a swede, large carrots, parsnips, pears, apples etc & drill holes through them, string them together & hang them in their stable. I guarantee your horse will enjoy the vegetable & fruit kebab! ;)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I made my cob's usual dinner (oats and grass nuts/chaff) into a cake by adding a bit more grass chaff to bulk it out and a little bit of molasses to stick it together with some grated apple :eek: decorated with apples and polos (which she had to share with Millie!) moulded in a cake tin.

Ticked my "I've never had a horse with a proper birthday" box without breaking any feeding rules ;)

17634310_1520111768000328_4818065635879411449_n.jpg

Laika

Visit site
I made my cob's usual dinner (oats and grass nuts/chaff) into a cake by adding a bit more grass chaff to bulk it out and a little bit of molasses to stick it together with some grated apple :eek: decorated with apples and polos (which she had to share with Millie!) moulded in a cake tin.

Ticked my "I've never had a horse with a proper birthday" box without breaking any feeding rules ;)

17634310_1520111768000328_4818065635879411449_n.jpg

This is a brilliant idea.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
My daughters make them out of chaff, grated carrot and soaked pony nuts. Pressed into a bowl, left a few hours tgen turned out onto a (plastic) plate.

They use carrot batons for "candles". Ponies seem to enjoy!

dulcie_dustyxx

Visit site
put carrots in Dusty's haynet and as she doesn't normally get feed gave her a bucket full of apples and carrots and let her gorge XD

horselady

Visit site
I don't bother cooking anything, I think it's totally unnatural & an instant change in a horse's diet can cause issues. If you must do something them walk down the fruit & veg aisle at your supermarket. Buy a swede, large carrots, parsnips, pears, apples etc & drill holes through them, string them together & hang them in their stable. I guarantee your horse will enjoy the vegetable & fruit kebab! ;)
I think I might die both actually this recipe sounds good but still looking for a fly mask