Anyone NOT hack out, and just stay in the school?

Ceriann

Visit site
I'm scared of hacking, I used to love it and was primarily a hacker (mainly on my own) but a bad fall hacking has really affected me. I've ridden around the fields at home with no issues but gone no further. I've now got a new pony and she's lovely, v sweet and genuine - I've had her close to a month and whilst we've pretty much been in the school I've done the field riding a couple of times. I want to hack her and I will hack her - I've just arranged to go with someone for a first hack next weekend. Ironically she only hacks and is a bit scared of the school. Brave pants will be coming out for me (as well as my rstor and back protector)!

Mule

Visit site
In some countries people don't have a tradition of hacking or even turnout. With enough exercise they do fine. Horses adapt.

As long as you don't make your schooling sessions too repetitive your horse should be fine. If you are riding in a field aswell as the school your horse will have enough stimulation. It's supposed to be fun. :) You don't have to force yourself to do anything.

SO1

Visit site
Hacking out alone can be quite daunting even for more experienced partnerships especially if there is a lot of traffic or things that horses may be unsure about.

I do think it is important for horses to hack out if it is safe to do so, as working on an artificial surface all the time is not good for their legs.

Do you have someone you can confide in on the yard about your fears, someone who perhaps can act as a mentor to you. It sounds like your horse is a sensible hacking horse, are there a lot of motorbikes in the area, is he particularly frightened of motor bikes?

If you are happy for someone else to ride your horse then perhaps they can ride and you can walk or cycle alongside them so you can see how your horse reacts out hacking to stimuli. Have you hacked out at a RS and did you feel confident in this situation? Do you have an instructor who could bring a horse to the yard and hack out with you and give you some tips to improve your confidence?

What happened when he turned in the road and wanted to come home, were you hacking alone or in company? You also need to remember if you have only had him a few months and you have not hacked out much so he is in a new home and the hacks are unfamiliar to him. I have had my pony for 10 years and 6 years of that was on the same yard, when I moved yards a couple of years ago he was not as confident as he was before about hacking out as he was unfamiliar with the routes and also got a bit worried about leaving his new friends so not keen to go out on his own or taking the lead. I have built it up gradually firstly by hacking out with others at the back, then encouraging him to take the lead sometimes and then finally going out alone.

Cerries

Visit site
In some countries people don't have a tradition of hacking or even turnout. With enough exercise they do fine. Horses adapt.

As long as you don't make your schooling sessions too repetitive your horse should be fine. If you are riding in a field aswell as the school your horse will have enough stimulation. It's supposed to be fun. :) You don't have to force yourself to do anything.

Thank you so much Mule! That's what my husband keeps telling me - I'm doing this for PLEASURE, as something I can really enjoy. But at the same time, I want to make sure my boy is happy :) Like I say - so long as there's food, he's generally happy lol!

Mule

Visit site
Thank you so much Mule! That's what my husband keeps telling me - I'm doing this for PLEASURE, as something I can really enjoy. But at the same time, I want to make sure my boy is happy :) Like I say - so long as there's food, he's generally happy lol!

I think your husband is right. And like other posters suggested you could always ask someone to hack your boy out now and then if you want to. Enjoy it :)

DragonSlayer

Visit site
You do what you feel happy with. Do not allow yourself to be 'guilt-ed' into anything.

There are many things you can do in a school. With the roads as busy as they are these days I know many people who just can't do it anymore and tend to box up to go elsewhere, or think of inventive things to do around the school/fields.

Your horse is meant to be fun, not a chore.

claret09

Visit site
if you don't enjoy going out for a hack - don't bother - the roads are really busy and drivers often not very considerate. my boy is very nervous hacking - he is 20 and has probably only been out on the roads 20 times in his whole life. the last time I took him out was Christmas day 2012- which was ok until his companions got too far a head of him and he had a complete meltdown. we haven't bothered since, however, we do compete regularly and I take him to my instructors (even though he is tricky to load), I also go and use other peoples facilities - it all helps

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Personally yes, I hack out both myself & with others. If you are not confident why don't you box somewhere like the beach or to the woods? For me hacking is one of the biggest pleasures of owning a horse & I believe it really establishes a great relationship/trust with your horse which cannot be achieved within the security of a school. Do what you enjoy though- everyone is different :)

pennyturner

Visit site
If you go out of your yard gate, people will insult you, call you a 'happy hacker', like you're some kind of second class rider, not a 'proper' one. Don't do it! ;)

madlady

Visit site
You haven't had him long in the grand scheme of things, I'd say get some groundwork lessons so that you are confident that, if you are on the ground with him, that he will listen and be safe - that way if you do come across any monsters out hacking you know you can deal with it just by hopping off - good luck :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site

This ^^. Hacking is a particularly UK thing (yes, yes, I know plenty of other people ride out in other countries), and in many places it just isn't a focus. I haven't been out on the roads in years, far too dangerous with crazy drivers, but don't just ride in the school. When the ground allows we go in the fields, ride in a big park (where we work, it's not open to other riders) and generally mooch about, but the arena is where most of our proper work is done and it is OK if that is where you feel most secure. You do not HAVE to hack if you don't want to, and your horse will be fine with that.

pansymouse

Visit site
I only hack and love fast work in open country. I'm happy to ride with anyone at a pace of their choice if they need a confidence building hacking experience - I live in Wiltshire and ride on Salisbury Plain.

Damnation

Visit site
I too have suffered hacking nerves, big style!

My last mare was NOT good to hack. She would nap, spin, bronk, be a general twit. She had her reasons but it scared me. I forced myself to hack her because I thought I could crack it.

It left me nervous, but what helped me was going with just 1 other person (big groups intimidated me) or a person on foot if needed. Infact, the person on foot helped me alot as when something I thought was scary was coming, they could just grab a rein, reassure me and the horse, then we moved on. Once it had been proved to me that she was fine in traffic I was much better although she never would hack on her own.

I also find singing 10 green bottles helps, it makes you breathe! When I get scared I stop breathing, then the horse picks up on it because when you stop breathing you instantly tense up!

At this stage I would always make sure you have someone with you on foot or on a good reliable horse, and someone who understands your nerves. Nothing worse than being nervous and people just trotting off without you!

You will get there OP :) It is a slog and sometimes you have to really force yourself to do it, but it is worth it :)

Damnation

Visit site
But, I repeat: you DO NOT have to hack out if you don't want to.

There is also this - if you can vary the work enough and you are both happy, who cares if you hack out.

I was on a yard where they were *obsessed* with hacking, and really pushed me to hack. Because I tried to go alone to satisfy them (everyone else hacked when I was at work, but they bullied me about not hacking) I put myself and my horse in an unsafe situation and it ultimately set us both back, a decision I regret. I was only 17 and I have never ever let anyone pressure me like that again.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Personally, I wouldn’t ride if I couldn’t still hack but I would still ride if I didn’t school in the long term – but I wouldn’t hack in the short term if it was part of a plan to ‘make’ a happy hacker.

I didn’t used to enjoy hacking so much. I’ve definitely had to work at it – my horse was bought not entirely as described. It turns out he was really not a happy hacker as he’d actually hospitalised his old trainer out hacking as he was quite spooky but nappy and had a tendency to stop and spin quite dramatically. I spent loads of time in the school making Trec style obstacles – taurpalin as water, a make shift gate, a bridge, I ‘borrowed’ a road sign or two, I made my Mum walk around with an umbrella, put it down and suddenly put it up again, I made sure my dogs had run around. You get the idea, just to help de-densitise my horse. My horse now regularly gets complimented about his bravery, his ‘go anywhere’ attitude and general love of hacking, but I think people forget that you often have to make a good hacking horse, just as you would have to school to make a good dressage horse.

I started off in-hand going for walks and then progressed to walking a bit and riding some (it literally started as walking 40 minutes and riding the last minute or two home), then working up to riding more, then I had lessons out hacking too where my instructor came and we went over tricky bits – like a river crossing or whatever. Then we progressed to doing part of the routes by myself and some with Mum and then we tried solo hacking by Mum waiting at the yard (actually doing jobs – she really did draw the short straw!).

Fast-forward a few years and we are happy-hackers regularly hacking about 30 miles a week by ourselves, in all paces, over all terrain, in all weather! I’m aiming for some low-level endurance riding in the future, but we’ll see if time and finances allow it (plus my horse had an accident in a horsebox, so we need to practise). It does also help that I have access to off road hacking (but we do still see quads, tractors etc depending upon the routes and times). Mum now only ever comes on foot when she wants to & I haven’t had the heart to tell her she now slows us down after so long of being our security blanket!

If you are worried about the practicalities, can you let your husband or trusted friend know exactly where you are going and how long you’ll be and then text when you are back at the yard? I also found that at the start, going out regularly and fairly long rides made a big difference – if I was only going out for 15 minutes then it was hugely possible to be nervous all of those 15 minutes, but if I went out for an hour then eventually you’ll relax. I also had NLP to overcome my fear of 'what if'?'

But, riding should be a fun hobby – I don’t really enjoy jumping and although I pop logs, ditches, cross rivers and streams etc out hacking I have no desire to jump around a BE90 course! If you really don’t want to hack, don’t.

Cerries

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone! I have to say, I was nervous about posting this. When I have posted here in the past, I've usually swiftly felt like an idiot :) But that's what this journey is all about for me - pushing myself out of my comfort zone.

Your responses have helped me so much, and given me some great ideas.

I am NOT someone who is taking horse ownership lightly - I'm not in this for an 'easy' ride (pardon the pun!). But I do want to take it all at my own pace, in a way that is enjoyable and safe (which is why I carefully chose a horse with the help of my yard owner, who is suitable for my level and ability). I really do want to hack - I see the others going out and loving it, and I would love to get to that stage.

I actually went out for a hack with a small group a few weeks ago, and I ended up in tears half way round. It was just way too much, too soon. The group I was with are fabulous, and they were so understanding. As advanced riders, they thought they were taking it easy - their 'easy' was not the same as mine lol!

My yard has lots of land, most of which I'm sure we could utilise. I'll have a chat with the yard owner to get some ideas. I definitely want to keep pushing myself, and I hope that the confidence will come. I'm happy hacking out - just so long as nothing scary comes our way! Which obviously isn't a sustainable approach lol ;)

Anyway - your words all mean a lot to me. Thank you! <3

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think it is important for horses musculature etc too.
I would also suggest that if you are struggling and have not had your horse long and are nervous hacking that it might be an idea to get a confident person to hack him out for you occasionally anyway, just to keep him 100% as even the best can start to pick up on their riders feelings.

Also how would you feel about long reining/learning to long rein?

^^ agree

I don't enjoy hacking that much, only because I enjoy our schoolwork so much ;) but I make sure mine get out hacking at least twice a week, it's good for their bodies and their minds IMO.

My younger horse is traffic proof but nappy so not terribly enjoyable when on her own, so I ride the other and lead her to make sure she get as much hacking as possible.

I occasionally still take her out on the long reins for a change, that's a useful skill to have and when i first started hacking her solo i took the long reins with us so that I could swap from riding to long reining if we had a wobble!

sorry if it's already been mentioned but do you have the opportunity to box up to some off road riding where you wouldn't have to worry about traffic etc? even my tricky one is a lovely hack when she's in new territory so I quite like doing that kind of thing :)

ihatework

Visit site
I think that, unless a horse is one of those rare ones that loves the flatwork and doesn't care for much else, then variety in their work is important for both their mental and physical health. Some form of cross training really is beneficial, as is working on different surfaces. How you achieve that really is up to you.
Working in fields, boxing to off road areas, gallops, in hand work, jumping, trec type things etc.

What I would say is if you fear hacking to the point it has you in tears then don't do it. For a couple of reasons 1) this is your hobby and supposed to be fun! 2) you risk your horse picking up on your anxieties and reacting negatively to them.

What I would say is I do think hacking is beneficial to horses - if you have access to nice hacking and your horse enjoys it then I would give serious consideration to having someone else hack your horse for you

Embo

Visit site
Nope, I don't enjoy hacking. Mainly as where we are now, you have to go along a very busy A road to get anywhere. I have confidence issues so it's very stressful for me, it wouldn't be enjoyable for B if I were to take him!

I pay the yard to hack him at least once per week so he gets the variety.

I'm most happy schooling, in the arena and in the field in summer months.

twiggy2

Visit site
Constant work on a surface, in circles, is a very bad idea for the horse. If you can't do it (and there's no reason why you should if it scares you), I would be inclined to pay someone to hack him for you, or to lead him from their own horse, if the hacking is safe enough for this to be realistic and sensible.

I agree with this, the other thing to consider as well is a calm, confident rider will be able to introduce the horse to new hacks and rides meaning when you (op) go on a new ride the horse is already confident and calm there. Also horses often lose confidence out hacking when it is not a regular thing.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Stay in your comfort zone but work towards making your comfort zone larger would be my advice. You can do this by going out with others, or getting someone else to road test the horse for you. That might help your confidence to see her be completely fine as well.

I don't have a school and have to hack either on my own or with my daughter who is 8 and includes road work. I'm fine on my cob but everything else now makes me a bit on edge. Not a great feeling and it's meant to be fun so I'm reassessing what I do next.

I do agree being on a surface all the time is not the way to long term soundness unfortunately!

tda

Visit site
You've got to remember, when you tense up, the horse knows, and thinks OH ***** WHAT'S TO BE SCARED OF !,,,,

I sent my friends grand daughter out on my old dales pony, who is a saint, and the rider panicked because a horse trotted in its own field adjoining the road, my pony did a couple of little steps and stopped, but she was worried because the rider was worried.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I really would do plenty of ground work and possible long reining on the roads etc, straigthness training if you fancy it can be done out and about to.
You are at very early days in this relationship.

Also if you don't want to put others out by slowing their rides down plenty of people pay others to hack out with them and look after them a bit. This should also be someone that knows the best routes and won't be put off any any sort of crisis.

It is ok feeling the fear and doing it anyway unless you find that actually OMG all your fears were right and are just validated because something happens. I don't think continually pushing ourselves works for everyone, and certainly not if we aren't enjoying it in what should be the comfort zone to start with.

My sister had a nasty fall off a runaway it took her a long time riding animals she knew and some judicious coaching along the way to get her happy hacking out again. She was ok on roads but fields just held massive fear for her. Now the situation was right that she should feel it and do it anyway as I had total faith in my pony to do just the right amount of steady canter along a track for her to have a postive experience, but that comes from knowing.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I'm one of those who believe that hacking is pretty much essential to a horse's general wellbeing (yes I know there are exceptions, but they are rare let's be honest). So if I felt that I couldn't hack my horse, I would get someone else to do it. You will end up with a very school sour horse otherwise and endless circles on a surface is not good for them. If someone else is hacking your horse, you won't have to worry about pushing yourself for a while. You may find that once the pressure if off, you may want to venture for little hacks in time. After a few weeks off hacking (for you) to decompress, how about starting each ride with a short 10 min hack before schooling? You can gradually build up the time spent out in the world as you feel better.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
You have to do whats right for you and whats right for your horse. I love hacking and much prefer it to anything else. I hate schools, relatively new thing for me because we never had one. Only posh folks had a school back in the day, you either rode in the field or hacked. I've just had my worst fall in years in the school. Had the bolt happened on a hack, i'm pretty sure I would have stayed on rather then exited stage right and took out the school fence, ending up with a broken hand. To me schools seem much too constricted and I feel you are less safe in them , then out.
Repeat arter me ;)
HACKING IS FUN

If you want to, you can do it, you just need to be less hard on yourself. Just find someone willing to help you out, walk out with you, ride out with you. Stick to safe routes, stick to safe speeds. build it up. If you only want to walk up the road and back just do that. Slowly it will come. I ride out with a couple of riders, one only wants to walk and one will only walk and trot. I'm happy with that.

bottom line is however....you do want you want.

ps
Just to add, if you feel like getting off and walking DO SO! its not a crime, get back up when you want to.

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
I haven't hacked mine in years due to not trusting drivers on roads! How ever we are now on a quiet yard with some quiet lanes near by so I hope to start riding out on short rides soon. I am another who hates hacking. I'm a very competent rider but can't control idiot drivers.

indie1282

Visit site
We don't have a school on the yard however can hire down the lane. I nearly always hack but we have all off road riding in the woods. There are some cars that drive in to the car park but they are all going slow ( usually)

I do still have walkers, cyclists and dog walkers to deal with and I think the horses enjoy it a lot. It makes them more forward and braver imo. It's better for fitness too.

I got hit by a car a few years ago whilst riding on the road so I do know how unpleasant it can be!

I'm a capable rider but I do not trust drivers on the road anymore. I did ride on the road after my accident but I was never 100% happy and I thank my lucky stars that I am now at this lovely yard.

Pigeon

Visit site

Fine is kind of subjective! I've seen some really miserable horses in the states where they didn't get turnout or hacking. Colic was just an everyday part of life for them and they all seemed to have joint problems too. It's no life for an animal.

I'm not a huge fan of hacking (same as you, worry about what ifs on the road) but I make sure to hack at least twice a week as the horses love it and it keeps them forward thinking and happy. I promise it gets easier with time! I go at times when there's less traffic, and wear loads of hi vis. I think your horse would probably be okay not hacking, but its still good for him so I would at least try to work on your confidence out riding, maybe have a three month plan to work on you, and see if you feel better at the end? Definitely find some nice hacking buddies, then you will have someone to talk to while you ride and it will distract you from your nerves.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
You've got to remember, when you tense up, the horse knows, and thinks OH ***** WHAT'S TO BE SCARED OF !,,,,

I sent my friends grand daughter out on my old dales pony, who is a saint, and the rider panicked because a horse trotted in its own field adjoining the road, my pony did a couple of little steps and stopped, but she was worried because the rider was worried.

This is me and my pony. Even in the field schooling I'm so aware of traffic on the road and hearing a lorry made me tense up and my pony stopped and froze. I forced myself to relax and exhale and my pony visibly relaxed. So far, we stick to schooling but I'm hoping to change this soon by moving her to where we can hack straight into woods. Build our confidence together and then work on traffic.