Anyone ride (hack) in the dark / dawn / dusk?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Have to say that I don't like the indication that I am happy for Frank to die in order to ride in poor light conditions, or that I have been putting him at huge risk over the last 9 years of owning him rather than making a sensible assessment of risk based on my own situation/on roads where you have to expect to meet unlit pedestrians - village no pavements- or a fair number of cyclists and you don't have to pass me any differently and will not meet me round a blind bend.

In the past I have done it because I actually deemed his waistline a greater risk to his life than riding on specific roads in less than optimal light conditions. Bright sunlight is definitely the worse around here as we get a lot of dappled shade.

Follysmum

Visit site
No way unless it was all off road. Why would anyone risk them selves or their horses. The roads are bad enough in daylight never mind dusk or dark.

paulineh

Visit site
When I was working full time I would always go out in the morning in the dark. I have about 400 yards down a lane with a dead end before I get into the woods. The main tracks are nice and wide and with a head torch it is easy to ride out.

The horses would have Hi-viz exercise sheets and I would have a Hi-Viz jacket on that had flashing lights on it.

Suechoccy

Visit site
Moonlit nights in summer offroad are gorgeous hacks. It's very quiet, peaceful, and neds are very laidback. Need to wear lights even though offroad as we get wildfowl shooters round our way though.

Early winter mornings I have regularly hacked the first 100yds on-road, with lights and hiviz, in order to get to the bridleways. Very quiet, usually no vehicles at all.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I ride after work in full darkness round quiet country lanes and get less problems then in daylight.
Me= full hi viz trousers, top and flashing led vest and head torch plus red light on back of hat.
Horse= all 4 legs have hi viz wraps and all legs have flashing bands on, flashing hi viz tail wrap, hi viz exercise sheet, v bright flashing breastplate, also hi viz and torch on browband.

Iv had no trouble what so ever and every car iv met won't come anywhere near me and just flashes their lights trying to work out what I am. I get far more trouble in the day time if I'm honest.
A bloody mobile Christmas tree is what the local say I am

Wiz201

Visit site
I would rather ride on a well lit road rather than in pitch dark on country lanes. But then I would find a situation where I could ride in an arena and not hack out at all if it was getting dark or on a dark morning.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Have to say that I don't like the indication that I am happy for Frank to die in order to ride in poor light conditions, or that I have been putting him at huge risk over the last 9 years of owning him rather than making a sensible assessment of risk based on my own situation/on roads where you have to expect to meet unlit pedestrians - village no pavements- or a fair number of cyclists and you don't have to pass me any differently and will not meet me round a blind bend.

In the past I have done it because I actually deemed his waistline a greater risk to his life than riding on specific roads in less than optimal light conditions. Bright sunlight is definitely the worse around here as we get a lot of dappled shade.

I totally agree, those saying no way its not worth the horses life are a bit narrow minded in my view. Of course you have to take your own area into consideration like road/traffic etc but I can honestly say Iv had not one problem riding in the dark where as day time is a different matter, the cars at night time won't come near me at all.

touchstone

Visit site
I often used to ride off road at night, I always felt safe and it seemed a bit special somehow, just very peaceful me and the horse. I went out again the other night and encountered six separate cyclists, who shouldn't have been there, a dog walker who only goes out at that time as his huge malamute dog is aggressive, and then I couldn't stop worrying about the 'what iffs' and how much more difficult an emergency situation would be in the dark. I think I'll be sticking to daytime only from now on sadly.

BeingKate

Visit site
I personally think anyone who rides on the roads in the dark or dusk, with or without flourescents, is an idiot. You have a choice, your horse does not. I think anyone riding on the roads AT ALL without high viz on is also an idiot. Not everyone has facilities or off road hacking, but is it really worth the risk THis morning I came around a blind corner at 7.30 when it wasn't quite light. I was driving around that corner at 35mph (it's a national speed limit road so I was going slowly) and there was a horse and rider with no high viz on at all. I had to slam on my breaks and swerve to avoid them - how on earth would I as a driver have felt had I have hit them? I'm not sure I could have lived with that

khalswitz

Visit site
I personally think anyone who rides on the roads in the dark or dusk, with or without flourescents, is an idiot. You have a choice, your horse does not. I think anyone riding on the roads AT ALL without high viz on is also an idiot. Not everyone has facilities or off road hacking, but is it really worth the risk THis morning I came around a blind corner at 7.30 when it wasn't quite light. I was driving around that corner at 35mph (it's a national speed limit road so I was going slowly) and there was a horse and rider with no high viz on at all. I had to slam on my breaks and swerve to avoid them - how on earth would I as a driver have felt had I have hit them? I'm not sure I could have lived with that

Well, I think that anyone who broadly calls anyone riding in the dusk/dark an idiot must be an idiot. There are lots of different road conditions, and some will be suitable whilst others are not.

It is, in fact, far far easier to see a horse at night in reflectives with lights on than a horse during the day with no hi viz. Especially on straight roads. And drivers are more cautious when they can't tell exactly what is ahead - a set of lights and reflectives moving around that they can't identify will have them slow down (I say this having been a driver in both cases!).

If your roads are bad, horse isn't good in traffic, or don't have lights or reflectives then yes it could be dangerous. But calling someone an idiot for it is being a bit ignorant.

BeingKate

Visit site
I just think it's downright irresponsible. I would never DREAM of putting my horse at risk just for the sake of a little hack. I stand by my "idiot" comment.

Regandal

Visit site
I ride after work in full darkness round quiet country lanes and get less problems then in daylight.
Me= full hi viz trousers, top and flashing led vest and head torch plus red light on back of hat.
Horse= all 4 legs have hi viz wraps and all legs have flashing bands on, flashing hi viz tail wrap, hi viz exercise sheet, v bright flashing breastplate, also hi viz and torch on browband.
A torch on the browband? Wow! I am seriously impressed! Think mine would go into orbit.

ester

Visit site
Please don't compare riders at 7.30 with no hi viz on to those who dress appropriately. People hacking back from hunting let get my goat :p I always take hi viz with me then too :p.

amazing how I have managed to keep us both safe and alive for the last 9.5 years .... and who mentioned 'little' hacks!

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I was out by 6.30 a.m this morning and rode for an hour. I saw 2 cars and first saw them about a mile away which meant i had time to stand in a gateway. One of them stopped and said he could see me for miles because of my very bright head torch and flashing accessories not to mention hi viz from top to tail and that I was far more visible than a bike rider he'd seen further up the road. That's good enough for me.

Unfortunately some of us HAVE to ride then and so we take steps to ensure we are as well lit as possible to be seen.

khalswitz

Visit site
I just think it's downright irresponsible. I would never DREAM of putting my horse at risk just for the sake of a little hack. I stand by my "idiot" comment.

You put your horse at risk every time you ride on the road. I take it you don't ride on the road at all, and instead piddle around in a school?

It's actually easier for drivers to see lights and reflectives at night than a horse during the day! And some of us don't have the luxury or riding off road in the daytime. Hardly irresponsible.

NZJenny

Visit site
Check out the lights available for cyclists. I used to wear one of the flasing red ones on a belt. You can also get boots with reflecive tape on them - because they are moving the are very obvious.

BeingKate

Visit site
You put your horse at risk every time you ride on the road. I take it you don't ride on the road at all, and instead piddle around in a school?

It's actually easier for drivers to see lights and reflectives at night than a horse during the day! And some of us don't have the luxury or riding off road in the daytime. Hardly irresponsible.

That is indeed why I will not ride on our busy main road or any of the twisty turny lanes behind. Also I don't have the luxury of riding in the day time either. I am up at 4.30, work 2 in the pitch black arena before work, after work I ride the other one in the pitch black arena (and no we don't "piddle about" I have one working towards his first PSG test, one advanced medium, 1 at Medium level and a baby who is just starting to learn about the world) - at the weekend we hack around the fields so they get out of the school, and we are lucky enough to have off road riding within boxing distance which we treat them to. We have a choice to ride in the dark but our horses don't - opinions were asked for and mine was given.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Does anyone find that their horse is far more relaxed and quiet riding in the dark? My fairly mental at times mare is totally different in the dark mainly I guess because she can't see all of the monsters that are going to eat her behind the hedge. I was quite concerned at first that there was something wrong with her but then I rode in daylight yesterday and she was back to being a complete idiot!!

ester

Visit site
you are lucky if you can hack c. 15 odd miles round your fields :p. Please be aware that arena work does not benefit all of our horses, I do actually have access to one now but try to limit any work in there to twice a week so as not to over stretch him at his age, but he is also better fitter and moving more frequently than 4x a week. Horses for courses and to suggest people are just going for an unnecessary piddling hack is quite rude!

carolineb sometimes ;). He isn't that bad generally though. :) just a bit welsh spooky.

khalswitz

Visit site
That is indeed why I will not ride on our busy main road or any of the twisty turny lanes behind. Also I don't have the luxury of riding in the day time either. I am up at 4.30, work 2 in the pitch black arena before work, after work I ride the other one in the pitch black arena (and no we don't "piddle about" I have one working towards his first PSG test, one advanced medium, 1 at Medium level and a baby who is just starting to learn about the world) - at the weekend we hack around the fields so they get out of the school, and we are lucky enough to have off road riding within boxing distance which we treat them to. We have a choice to ride in the dark but our horses don't - opinions were asked for and mine was given.

If you don't appreciate 'piddling about in a school' then don't imply we all just go out for 'little hacks' - and as you reacted exactly the same way to that as we felt about 'little hacks' then maybe you should apologise for that comment. I for one work on an event yard with horses at 3* and 4* level and we do at the vast majority of their schooling as well as fitness work out hacking - including on the road. It has already been pointed out by another poster how insulting being told we are risking our horses for 'little hacks' is - some of us don't have the luxury of a school, regardless of lighting. And some of us do think a school is unnecessary, without being happy hackers!

An opinion is fine - 'I wouldn't ride mine as I wouldn't want to risk them'. I completely respect that you wouldn't do it - if your set up allows for you not to, then great. But calling people idiots because they have less choice and better roads to work on is just looking to start an argument.

BeingKate

Visit site
Goodness me, and this is a stark reminder as to why I stopped bothering to comment on here years ago - because there are a few who just don't like other peoples opinions. Well I hope you all enjoy your hacking, I sincerely hope you don't have any accidents (not sarcasm - I honestly do hope not) and good luck with all your horses!!!

(PS I didn't come on here to annoy people - I wanted to comment as it's something I feel very passionate about)

Copperpot

Visit site
I would do it if I had to but luckily can mostly ride in the day. If it was just a short section of road and then onto a Bridleway and I was dressed appropriately, I don't see the harm. As it is the roads I hack on are most definitely not for night time riding. I would cause mayhem.

ester

Visit site
I have no issue with others opinions, I do not appreciate being called an idiot and risking life and limb for no reason! However passionate you are.

tabithakat64

Visit site
Absolutely not, despite all the hi-vis and lighting available, I would not risk either mine or my horses life by riding out on the roads in the dark/near dark it's just far too dangerous. I wouldn't ride a bike on the roads in these circumstances though either.

I always wear hi vis when riding no matter what the conditions are.

To the OP, it would also be worth checking if your insurance company covers you if you are doing this.

khalswitz

Visit site
I have no issue with others opinions, I do not appreciate being called an idiot and risking life and limb for no reason! However passionate you are.

This. I'm well aware plenty of people wouldn't risk it - hell, lots of people I know won't ride anywhere near a road, which is absolutely fine! But calling someone an idiot because they do goes beyond an opinion and into trying to wind people up.

Text does come across differently to a conversation, and it's easy to start a fight online. That's why avoiding calling people idiots is generally a good idea! You'd never catch me keeping a horse stabled unless they were on box rest - doesn't mean I'd call anyone else an idiot for stabling, even if I'd never do it to a horse myself and cringe at the thought. I have an opinion - I think horses are better out - but I don't think people who stable are idiots either!

thatsmygirl

Visit site

Do u know me? Do u know my lanes? NO you don't so unless you know people's individual situations I think you need to keep " idiot" comments to yourself!
I ride in full darkness and have had NO issues what so ever and never have, I get far more problems during the day. At night no vechicle will come anywhere near me as they can't work out what I am. My mare is 100% but I wouldn't ride my youngster out in the dark so he's turned away.

Hollie15

Visit site
Following this with interest as my girl has just started work after being off since April. Because of this I am tempted to ride early morning once a week and then the weekends (I do not think I could get up ridiculously early more than once a week!!!)

We have a bridlepath I can get to with no roads, but they have 6ft ditches and I would be scared of falling in. Or I have a lane, cross road and then a much better bridlepath. On the lane there is a autistic school, I have emailed them asking what time staff start shifts so I can warn them I'm riding or avoid shift start time.

I have a head torch, reflective tabard, leg bands with red flashing lights. I got a cycle light I'm hoping to attach to her browband. Be interested in the flashing martingale, red hat light and flashing tabard though!! Any recommendations?

Also are your headtorches bright enough to see far infront of you or do youjust let your eyes/horses eyes adjust to the dark?

Highlands

Visit site
I meet a local horse rider in lanes and it terrifies me so much I drive a different way. Yes she's good on hi viz but narrow high banked lanes... Not good.

WindyStacks

Visit site
I'm going to have to. There just aren't enough daylight hours and I need to work (albeit with flexibility if self-employment).

Going in the school just isn't an option right now as he's coming into fitness which means no corners, no deep surface - just miles and miles of roadwork.

Hacked yesterday 40 mins in daylight all roads, saw 2 cars. Just need to buy myself some Xmas decorations and I'll be good to go.