Anyone ride (hack) in the dark / dawn / dusk?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
All the advice on how to drive safely given on this thread is not going to make the slightest bit of difference to the drivers who are trying to get from A to B as quickly as they can. They are very unlikely to be horse aware.
As horse aware rider/drivers you really cannot expect other drivers will have the same mindset as you do.
I'm afraid I think you are blindly over confident if you think it is safe to ride on roads in the dark.

completely, it doesnt matter what speed people *should* be driving at, its the speed people *do* drive at and whether or not they expect to see you. I used to have to bring the horses up 100 yards of country lane to the stables in the dark. The only people who lived there (about 5 households that lived the other side of the fields up a dead end road) should have been used to us turning out horses between 6-8 and in between 5-7 and despite us all being lit up they were still surprised on occasion (I used to shine my torch on the horse so they could see he was there, used light coloured rugs, stuck reflective tape all over them). This was way more rural than many would live on here. I am now even further in the sticks, surrounded by cattle and sheep and I still wouldnt do it-the young farm workers and families that have lived here for years know the roads and drive accordingly, but 25mph is still too fast to plow into the back of my horses. They aren't expecting it, it isnt fair on anyone.

I have ridden in the dark completely off road and would again-better without torches IMO, on a bright night its hard to beat.

Mitchyden

Visit site
For the last 25 years I've ridden at 5.30am every weekday in the winter. It's pitch black but I'm lit up like a Christmas tree and the traffic slows down far more than when I ride in daylight.

Tnavas

Visit site
Many racehorses work in the dark, ours left the yard at 5am every morning year round. Fortunately they don't have to travel on any roads but some of the racing stables near by have to ride on the road to the track.

Don't know if it's the same in UK but all the track riders have to wear hi viz vests.

Optimissteeq

Visit site
completely, it doesnt matter what speed people *should* be driving at, its the speed people *do* drive at and whether or not they expect to see you. I used to have to bring the horses up 100 yards of country lane to the stables in the dark. The only people who lived there (about 5 households that lived the other side of the fields up a dead end road) should have been used to us turning out horses between 6-8 and in between 5-7 and despite us all being lit up they were still surprised on occasion (I used to shine my torch on the horse so they could see he was there, used light coloured rugs, stuck reflective tape all over them). This was way more rural than many would live on here. I am now even further in the sticks, surrounded by cattle and sheep and I still wouldnt do it-the young farm workers and families that have lived here for years know the roads and drive accordingly, but 25mph is still too fast to plow into the back of my horses. They aren't expecting it, it isnt fair on anyone.

I have ridden in the dark completely off road and would again-better without torches IMO, on a bright night its hard to beat.

This thread is quite interesting and to add another slant on this, I do think it largely depends on the area as well. As you say, 'most' drivers don't expect to see horses at night, no matter what reflectives/lights they are sporting. where I am, there are 3 largish livery yards in relatively close proximity. Only once has 1 lady ventured out on the roads at night and she was lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree and proceeded to hack down the main trunk road which was used as a bit of a 'rat run' that connected 2 villages and by passed the rush hour traffic somewhat.
The reaction by a lot of the drivers was not a positive one - yes they slowed down but many shouted abuse at her from the window, calling her names etc and one driver got out to ask what she thought she was playing at and that she shouldn't think she was invincible just because she had lights/reflectives. An interesting viewpoint I thought...
She came back to the yard in a very distressed state.
I personally would not ride in the dark on the roads, I don't think it's worth the hassle or the stress/worry about how the drivers are going to react. If you've done it successfully in the past and are happy to do so then that is your choice and I genuinely hope that you stay safe.

I can see it is a very emotive topic

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
super rural is not always the best option- I tend to stick to the part lit, 30 mph, mostly straight village roads if I need to where I am at the mo as the roads in the other direction are too fast and bendy. Not an issue atm anyway as plenty light in the mornings for me before work. TBF where I am now I mostly stick to the 30 mph dead end to the wood 0.1 mile of lane ;)

I think racing stables are a bit different, people who drive near them would expect to see them at the same time every morning/it is a lot busier

thatsmygirl

Visit site
For the last 25 years I've ridden at 5.30am every weekday in the winter. It's pitch black but I'm lit up like a Christmas tree and the traffic slows down far more than when I ride in daylight.

That's what iv found, iv found it far safer hacking my area in the dark as iv had far far more respect from road users.

It doesn't matter what speed some drivers drive at, they will do it day or night if they are that way inclined. I'm lit up so much with lights all iv ever get is positive comments. At the end of the day if you have a idiot driving at a stupid speed that they will hit you it don't matter if its day or night, if they can't stop they can't stop! But my lights reflect so well of the hedges that no car has ever came close to me unlike day time which is a nightmare. I hack in our quiet country lanes and traffic hits no more that 25mph at the best but night time with my lights reflecting of the hedges they stay will back

OWLIE185

Visit site
35 years ago I used to ride out at night in London but we had plenty of street lighting and a 30 m.p.h. speed limit and of course pavements to escape on to!

amandaco2

Visit site
I assume then you aren't talking about real twisty blind bends then... around us, you couldn't physically do 60mph or you would end up in a field... and whilst you could do 45/50, you'd be very dangerous at that.

No. Just a normal blind bend. Eg due to high hedges or a dip in the road on the bend. I see drivers going around them at 50, 60 or some even faster. Wouldnt matter how many lights you have, you and the horse are almost certainly dead because by the time they see you, you are already involved in a collision.
obviously depends on roads you are on, but round me id not even think of it.
The tight bends are probably safer in that cars have to go slower, but even at 20 its surprising how long it takes to reach standstill.....
and not all drivers are good. You can get those with slow reactions or drunk or distracted.....or failing brakes, bad tyres, patch of oil on road.

For me thats too many variables out of my control, with consequences too high.

me and my horse were hit at less than 20mph on a straight road covered in lights and reflective wear. She and I bear the scars, physical and mental nearly 3 years later.

Just what I think on it, based on my experience and the roads by me.

LaurenBay

Visit site
For those who do ride out. What kind of lights do you use? I've looked on Halfords website and theres loads to choose from!

I am seriously considering hacking out in the dark. But need to stock up on hi-vis and lights first. I already wear a tabard and she has a reflective sheet and reflective leg wraps.

She has a sticky stifle so needs to be kept in work to keep her sound. At the moment she is hacked both weekend days, lunged once and schooled once. I would love to fit in a hack during the week too, but its going to have to be after work. I am lucky I have a local housing estate to hack round, it has street lights so quite light. I have about 40 seconds of dark straight 30 m.p.h road though first.

ester

Visit site
So I use equisafety flashing leg bands which are much brighter than the ones I have had before.

I also use this headlight - as it is very light and bright enough for the price (though if I could fix my super bike light somehow that would be great!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-Cyba...ing_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item2343e87cae

back light wise I think you can just take your choice with regards to clip on LED bike ones. I have this one as I was ordering other stuff at the time/it was on offer.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/smart/1-2-watt-rear-light-ec030555

I also wear a flashing tabard a bit like this one, but a yard friend bought one really cheaply in aldi or similar the other day. There is certainly more choice of lighted tabard options than when I bought mine and I find it (and the leg bands) very useful if you get a day with low light conditions/it looks like it might throw it down with rain! I always have it on if hacking lateish afternoon just in case I get stuck/horse goes lame etc for any reason.

http://www.naylors.com/safety/safety-equipment/hi-vis/brand-horze?gclid=CNesod2v5MECFS_HtAod_B8ACg

LaurenBay

Visit site
Ok so I have just purchased the following:

Head torch

Flashing tail lights

Flashing tabard

She has a reflective sheet and leg bands already. I'm thinking a breast plate or something?

Have I missed something?

Last edited:

Tapir

Visit site
I also have some reflective material on my stirrups. My thinking is to have something showing each of our extremities. So, reflective nose band, hi viz tail lights and stirrup reflectors
. As a driver passing horses in the dark on small tracks, it can be hard to gauge where the horse starts and finishes if you have to squeeze past each other.

ester

Visit site
breastplates are great, I also use a noseband and hatband (though that mostly because it is always on my hat- I have one on my cycling helmet too).

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
I had to hack in the dark last winter as part of my mare's rehab programme from injury - Halfords have some fantastic LEDs - I bought seversal small ones which come with a loop which I fastened through my brushing boot straps, and also a LED with a clip which went on my boot. The LED strips from ebay were brilliant - attached those to her tailflap and breastplate, very light but very visible.
The lights meant we were visible far sooner to any traffic and we terrified quite a few people who had no idea from the shape of the lights what we were!!!

Tandr

Visit site
You can buy red lights which you could attach to the back of your hat so white light on front red on back if that makes sense cars should still understand which way your facing

missrio

Visit site
No - there isn't enough hi viz in the world to convince me to put both myself and my horses in that much danger for the sake of exercising them - the roads are dangerous enough as it is without horses in the dark FGS.

Totally agree with you RunToEarth! Its bad enough on the roads in daylight!!