Anyone seen any Swallows yet??

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Yay they’re back! Saw them swooping in and out of the stables this morning. I looked for them last night and didn’t see any so must’ve arrived late evening early morning.

Sadly there actually seemed to be only one that arrived and now they’ve disappeared ?. Usually we have at least two pairs and I’m hoping they’re just late this year. Miss them flying about eating insects and dive-bombing the yard cat.

meleeka

Visit site
I think we may have a problem. Two swallows were flying round the stables today but I’m pretty sure the Robins have stolen their nests! I’m hoping they’ll just build new ones ☹️

PapaverFollis

Visit site
We've been seeing them on the wires for a few days now (john o groats almost). Not seen any nests yet. Lots of crows and (feckin) pigeons though so don't know if that puts them off.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Loads here, building nests like crazy in stabkes and barn.

DSB

Visit site
If you would like the Channelbilled Cuckoo,that spent Spring and Summer with us,you're welcome,started before daylight and continued until after dark.Nearly drove us and the neighbours to drink.Will pack and post,no charge!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Had one flying around inside the old croft house this morning. They did nest in there last year I think (found old nests) despite there only being one teeny gap in the slates. Probably the only place they can get in but the crows and pudgeons can't.

MrPF thought it might be a barn swallow as it looked 'more colourful' than a normal swallow. I remain unconvinced but am keeping an eye out. We do get some cool birds here. Have a pair of hen harriers that splat the pudgeons every so often.

paddy555

Visit site
if anyone is missing their swallows they are all here. Far more pairs than usual and they are fighting over too few nests.

they seem to come back to the same nest each year but as they must obviously die do the swallows who hatched in that nest then come back to the same nest after the parents are dead? We have several fighting over the same nests and they are unwilling to give them up. Are these siblings?

ours live deep inside the stable block where we protect them from magpies, the worst unhousetrained lot are over my feed bin, yuck! By the time they have grown and left the nest they are so used to us they have little fear. When they start "flying school" around the stables I often have to pick them up and move them when they get stuck.
Now they are back they are equally at home. I am bombarded by them flying around my head. I could pick one up easily. They seem to have maintained that low level of fear of me. Did they learn that as fledglings?

Floofball

Visit site
if anyone is missing their swallows they are all here. Far more pairs than usual and they are fighting over too few nests.

they seem to come back to the same nest each year but as they must obviously die do the swallows who hatched in that nest then come back to the same nest after the parents are dead? We have several fighting over the same nests and they are unwilling to give them up. Are these siblings?

ours live deep inside the stable block where we protect them from magpies, the worst unhousetrained lot are over my feed bin, yuck! By the time they have grown and left the nest they are so used to us they have little fear. When they start "flying school" around the stables I often have to pick them up and move them when they get stuck.
Now they are back they are equally at home. I am bombarded by them flying around my head. I could pick one up easily. They seem to have maintained that low level of fear of me. Did they learn that as fledglings?

Glad you have plenty there ?? Still only 2 at mine ? hopefully they are a pair??? Had 6 nests last year, this pair aren’t showing an interest in any of them ? don’t think anymore will come now but still hoping!

Interesting questions ? something for me to research later ?

Floofball

Visit site
Well I got a lovely surprise this morning! They’re back ?????? At least 6 pairs now who were all displaying and chattering, almost like they were celebrating ? was joyous and I’ve not stopped smiling and saying hello to them all morning ??
Wonder why they were so late this winter?

southerncomfort

Visit site
Ours finally turned up and have nested in a stable! ??

For the second year running I've noticed 3 adults visiting the nest. Wondering if the third adult is without a mate. Wonder why it would help feed others babies though.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
We seem to have two now so fingers crossed they’re a pair. I’ve not seen them an awful lot yet so not sure if they’re nesting.

Ceriann

Visit site
We have 4 now - they were later last year. We got yard cats last year (they got nowhere near the nests or the birds) but did wander if it would put them off returning. We have have 3 nests so more to come i hope.

MiniMilton

Visit site
My first 2 arrived about 2 weeks ago. Then it was a good 10 days before any more arrived. About 8 in my barn now. Lots of hanky panky going on so I expect lots in a few weeks. I love them apart from crapping all over my tack! In Ireland.

Oh and I can hear a cookoo the past week too...

exracehorse

Visit site
Only two sadly. Last year we only had half return. This year looks even worse. Wonder what’s happened to them