Anyone stay away for competitions without a lorry?

tootsietoo

Visit site
The short people and their ponies are rather enjoying mounted games and tetrathlons at the moment, both of which entail full weekends of competition, and we are starting to be a bit limited by sticking to competitions that we can travel to easily both days (I am also having fantasies about qualifying for riding club champs this year....). So I really need to take the plunge and do some overnight stays. However, we don't have a lorry, and I am very happy with my car/trailer set up and really don't want to sell it for a lorry at the moment. There is also the small matter of the fact that we have never been camping!

How much of a hassle is it doing camping with children at a weekend comp? Am I mad to try? What sort of tent do I need for maximum space and ease of putting up and taking down? I have a huge trailer so plenty of space for tack, tent, camp beds etc in the storage at the front. We are planning to go away in 3 weekends time, and I need to buy a tent!! I'd have to accommodate two children aged 8 and 9 and myself. The husband will not do camping so he won't be coming! I'll also have to corral the ponies and I've never done that before. Will my normal 9v electric fence battery be fine? Any top tips gratefully received.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
If it helps, I've camped in the trailer before. If you've a big trailer that might be fine - I just put a pop up tent inside my trailer (in case of any condensation drips etc and to give a bit of extra warmth). Far quicker than trying to pitch a tent outside, though obviously less roomy. That's for me and 2 kids, we all slept in a big ready bed.

Ponies were in stables so I can't help on the corralling element.

Have fun!

NZJenny

Visit site
I endurance rode for years and only some of them with a truck, the rest with a float (trailer). It helps if you can take the partitions out and I had a storm flap and window and a big storage area at the front, with a rack for covers, which gave me plenty of room inside. Then I just slept on a nice thick mattress, with a camping stove and takeaways as necessary.

We used to coral as well - our rules stated waratahs (star pickets) with caps for corners and two tapes, as long as the horses are used to electric at home they are fine. But can I suggest you check the rules for the competition you are going to, to make sure they allow temporary yards. In NZ, endurance is the only discipline that allows them.

I never used a tent as I was on my own, and it would have been more hassle than it was worth. However a lot of trailers here have a pull out awning attached to the side, which would have been useful. I recon the children will find it fun and just another adventure - I used to love camping as a kid and we did it heaps.

Last edited:

tootsietoo

Visit site
I'm not sure I fancy sleeping in the trailer - smelly and lots of condensation! It is a big 4 pony trailer with herringbone partitions which are a pain to take out and bang in the wind when held back with a bungee. I quite like the look of the canvas bell tents - but wondering if they would be too much hassle to pack and unpack.

Thanks for replies.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have camped at shows and Trec competitions in a trailer. At the show the horse had a stable, at Trec he had an electric fenced enclosure. I heard that some people put up a tent inside the trailer, which I thought was a good idea! Warmer and drip proof.

I was by myself and the first time I took a tent, but I found that I had to take it down myself at the end of the show and was exhausted and watched all the other lorries driving out of the showgroundas I was still packing up! So after that I camped in the trailer with a carpet down on the floor, an airbed, a sleeping bag, a duvet, a small camping stove and a good lamp and a radio! I found that much better but I hadn't got 2 young children with me. It is a shame your OH won't come along and help.

It is important that your two children have a good night's sleep and are comfortable and warm, so if you are admnenI think you are right to consider a tent as it will give you more space. Go to a camping store and get advice on the easiest to put up and take down. Use an "electric" pump to blow up the airbed and take plenty of warm bedding. And when you put it up, unless you know the weather forcast is good, consider that there may be wind and rain during the night!

Have a practice sleep out at home and also a practice putting up the tent/sleeping in the trailer. Think about meals. And then remember what the ponies need!

As for the corral, I put a lightweight rug on my horse, but yours might not need it. It was early autumn and the camping area was a bit exposed so I thought that if I didn't rug him I would spend all night worrying that he was cold! If they are used to electric fencing they should be fine. I don't know if the rules have changed about camping fields recently, but in my day we all had the horses next to our trailers.

smja

Visit site
Alternatively, if the ponies are in stables, you could look for a local B&B - I know my aunt has done this in the past!

applecart14

Visit site
I've been away with my horse to a three day event on three occasions now with my trusty trailer and car combo and although its taken some planning it hasn't been too bad. Admittedly I don't have two young kids with me, but I have three tents, one for storage, one for O/H as he snores and one that me and my best friend shared. Just cheapy tents, two two man tents and one three man tent. I put all the haylage in my car boot (seriously!) by laying the layers flat and my tents and tack on the back seat of the car and I put all my shavings, wheelbarrow and tools in the other side of the partition of the trailer, added horse and off we went.Put the kids clothes that they will wear each day into separate plastic bags, with undies included. Then you have a pack of clothes each day, for each child. I also made up my feeds for the horse and bagged those for each day just adding some carrots which I left out (as the damp can make the food go musty/mouldy).

You can sleep in a trailer if you prefer, depends on time of year. You need a really good blow up mattress though and I would recommend a pilates type of mat underneath, its amazing how quickly a blow up bed can deflate!

Try and park near the loo and have lots of loo paper with you as it soon runs out.

You don't need a horsebox to do overnights stays, trust me! :) Just an awful lot of organizing. .

Last edited:

Follysmum

Visit site
I sleep in my 3.5t van quite a bit. I have bought a lovely fishing type bed form Go Outdoors. I have a small windup lamp and take all my tack, feed, hay and corralling for my horse.

sarahann1

Visit site
I'm not sure I fancy sleeping in the trailer - smelly and lots of condensation! It is a big 4 pony trailer with herringbone partitions which are a pain to take out and bang in the wind when held back with a bungee. I quite like the look of the canvas bell tents - but wondering if they would be too much hassle to pack and unpack.

Thanks for replies.

I have a big canvas tent, I love it a lot, it gets lots of admiring glances and folk come up to chat to me about it. It's easy as pie to put up and much better for condensation etc than a nylon tent, it looks awesome with fairy lights and lovely rugs :). But, they weigh ALOT, and are not straightforward to pack up, you'd need enough space to be able to put it away with out it going back in a bag if it's wet, you also need the space to dry one out at home if required, stair bannisters or in my case a whole spare room.

This FB page is a wealth of information and lovely people who know all there is to know about bell tents https://m.facebook.com/groups/271019569592554

I'm likely camping in the lorry park at Blair this year and my precious canvas tent will be left at home in favour of my cheap and cheerful nylon, too much mud and too many people around to risk my canvas tent.

Last edited:

furrycat

Visit site
If you plan to buy a tent, have a look at the vango Icarus 500, quite expensive but they are great tents. My partner and I go camping a lot, with the right gear you will be very comfy.

spookypony

Visit site
I've generally stayed in a tent if funds haven't sprung for a B&B; I find the lack of somewhere to hang things to dry annoying. Will likely take to camping in trailer like many other endurance peeps in the future! The trick seems to be: sweeping it out well, and having a good camp bed. One of my friends sets up a proper little house inside.

Someone I know who often camps at rides with kids and dogs has a large tent with several "rooms" in it. They generally seem very comfortable in there.

Key to camping, for me, is a giant good air mattress and my own proper duvet and pillows. Then I sleep very well!

As for corraling: my kit consists of 12 poles, tape, normal battery/charger. There are wee ones you can get for the purpose, but whatever you use at home should be fine. Will there be other horses corraled nearby? I find the athmosphere of the corraling field at endurance events to be really calm, compared to stabling: just lots of horses grazing/munching on hay next to each other, in a big field, just with the tape between them. Have seen one horse that got upset by the setup, of hundreds.

NZJenny

Visit site
Out of interest... Does no one just sleep in their car? Surely nicer than trailer?

OK if you are short. I'm 5'10", so even my 4WD with the seats down isn't long enough.

And I figure if my trailer is ok for my horses to spend several hours travelling in, it's ok for me to sleep in. Keeping it clean and well ventilated is the key to no smell and no condensation.

I did try a tent very early on, but they are the pits in the rain and there is nothing worse than packing up a wet tent!

silv

Visit site
I love sleeping in my trailer, it is well designed and has heaps of room and storage. I can take all the partitions and breast bars out and easily fit in two camp beds for myself and friend who comes to groom for me. It is easy to hang up clothes etc and set up a gas stove to make a coffee or heat water for washing, and being able to stand up and move around on dry ground is a bonus. Condensation has never been a problem. The longest we have stayed away is 3 nights, but it was no bother. It is also fully lockable so all my belongings are safe.

I would hate to sleep in a car due to the lack of privacy and what happens if the sun starts beating in the window in the morning, mind you if I still lived in Scotland then that would be unlikely LOL.

Another benefit of having a trailer is that you can easily leave it on the showgrounds unhitched in the evening and take the car to a pub or restaurant for tea or the supermarket for some groceries. I usually am away around 8 -10 weekends at shows over the season staying over and have honestly never felt the need for a lorry. Not that I could afford one anyway!

Last edited:

Lyle

Visit site
We bought an amazing tent for stay away shows, before we got the lorry. This way I could use the trailer for storage and cooking/seating. The tent is a bit like a teepee, it has a big square base which you peg at each corner. Then a large centre pole is put inside, in the middle to hold the roof up. You can stand up inside in the middle. Seriously took about 1-3 minutes to erect/take down.

Chloeap

Visit site
I haven't been to stay away shows but have done a lot of camping as boyfriend likes it and need to keep him happy when I spend so much time with my horse! Haha.
Anyway, we got a great tent a few years ago - it's very roomy, we can stand up in it (which makes everything SO much nicer when camping), has a big storage area, packs down quite small and is easy to put up/down :) http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/freedom-trail-sendero-4-tent-p286258 I would highly recommend!

tootsietoo

Visit site
Brilliant, thank you, sorry I haven't been back to this thread for a while!

I am planning to get a canvas bell tent like Sarahann, but I will also look at those two recommendations, for the Vango Icarus and Chloeap's link. Thanks. I think a bell tent would be ok as I can get over the main downsides - there is lots of room in the trailer to chuck it in without repacking, and I've got space at home to dry it. And I wouldn't ever have to carry it long distances as it would be pitched right by the trailer.

Sleeping in the trailer is just not an option, the partitions weigh a tonne to take out, and it leaks! Also not the car, as I'm sure it would be harder work to clear out the car after a long journey than to put up a tent!

It sounds to me that the main advantage of a lorry is the saving of time and effort - because you can have it permanently packed with everything you need, so it takes far less time to get up and go somewhere.

Thanks, I am heartened that a few of you do it. I'm really excited about the idea of a bell tent with rugs and candles and my sausages cooking on the barbie outside....

sarahann1

Visit site
Thanks, I am heartened that a few of you do it. I'm really excited about the idea of a bell tent with rugs and candles and my sausages cooking on the barbie outside....

Yay! Am excited for you, canvas tents are awesome, fitting them out is *so* much fun! Just remember to leave some space in the car for your kids, it's very easy to get carried away with accessories!

tootsietoo

Visit site
Well I've bought the bell tent. A 5 metre one, it's huge!! But I suspect with all the tet kit we will need it! Sadly I don't think I'll have much time for decorating it, I will have to take it away somewhere for a few days camping without ponies and do the glamping properly! I am a little daunted about packing, I've cancelled all work for tomorrow so that I can spend all day sorting stuff!

epemberton94

Visit site
Do any of the venues have stabling for hire? If so, you could pop your ponies in the stables and stay at a nearby B&B. Pricier but less stressful!

dancingbay

Visit site
I attended a three day camp with just my single horse trailer and a 2 man tent. I was absolutely fine and I’m so glad I only took a small tent as it took me 10 minutes to put up and 10 minutes to pack away. I used my trailer as storage and a changing room and literately just slept in my tent. I was the first of many off the camp field on the last day, it was great! I went on my own though, no children.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive camped in the trailer and in tents before. I hate tents personally but then have never had a very big one - I guess if you got one of the big ones these days it might be bearable! The trailer I think was preferable as me and my mum set up fold out camp beds on each side of the partition but the main issue I have is the cold. No matter if its depth of summer I always find its FREEZING during the night, even with duvets and sleeping bags so make sure you have VERY warm things. Also advise being as far from the stabling as possible, there's always that one horse who bangs on his door all night...

To be fair, Id probably hate sleeping in a lorry too ;) I just dislike camping in general! You could always go to a B&B...

miss_spooky_b329

New User
Visit site
We use a campervan to tow our trailer, if I was towing with a 4x4 I'd definitely be looking at the roof tents that pop/fold out from the roofrack.

You can get them from around £750 and you are up out of the puddles/mud of the car park, easy to erect and you won't find any stones in your back during the middle of the night.