Anyone tried hunting but hated it?

djlynwood

Visit site
Im thinking of taking my new horse Autum hunting, Ive never been before and my horse supposedly hunted in Ireland.

Ive read so much about it and heard so many things but just never got to go.

There seems to be a lot who totally enjoy it and become addicted but you never hear of people of didnt enjoy it.

Anyone tried it and didnt like it? If so what were the reasons?

lcharles

Visit site
I took my slightly wild horse hunting and the first time was brilliant, the second time was good but a bit stressful and the third time i couldnt stop when we 'trotted' down the river bank which led to a full on gallop and i couldnt stop for dear life, nearly took the huntsman off his horse and thought i was going to die as he galloped along the river jumping anything that got in the way! Still dont actually know how i stopped in the end just lucky that no-one was hurt. He had a waterford dutch gag on and i had no way of stopping. Life flashed before my eyes. Nearly took him home then but decided that the little git wasnt going to leave the hunt on that note so stayed until the end without anymore dramas-luckily!!

Cant see how you couldnt enjoy it when you are in control though!! x

Mongoose11

Visit site
Not exactly in response to your question but...

I would love to be able to go Hunting but I honestly can't imagine anything worse. That said, the only times I have truly ever gone full pelt have been when I have had zero control and watched my life flashing before my eyes. I associate the speed with fear and after a series of bad accidents always involving bolters I am a little 'stuck' at bursts of canter while out (pushing myself by cantering in company again and trying to lengthen the canters when I am having a good day).

But that constant speed? Jeez - it's making my stomach churn just thinking about it. Massive kudos to any Hunters here - you're braver then me!

Enfys

Visit site
You can but give it a go.

I know plenty of people who didn't enjoy it for a variety of reasons, but they tried it because they had always wanted to go, or were on the fence and thought they should give it a go before landing firmly on one side or the other.

Couldn't control the horse

Didn't actually enjoy the speed, being with a crowd

Didn't like the people (some can be seriously arrogant and unfriendly)

Didn't enjoy the chase or the end result (back in the day when hounds hunted foxes not socks)

No shame in deciding that you don't enjoy it for any of the above reasons, and plenty more besides.:)

I got bitten by the hunting bug very young and have hunted since I was 10 years old. I love the whole thing about hunting, the crisp mornings (even the freezing, wet ones actually) the whole tradition of it, the company, the smell, the noise, that moment when hounds pick up and run, the country, everything.

If you go, enjoy.

planete

Visit site
What constant speed? More like a lot of hanging around in the freezing cold with the occasional run if you were lucky in the old days, with mountains of mud to clean off tack and horse when you got back. Can't comment on the new hunting without a fox though.

djlynwood

Visit site
lots to think about there, Im 40 next year and have only been riding (on and off) for the last 7 years.

Just want to be aware of everything. I do think it sounds amazing though.

meesha

Visit site
Its not necessarily what you think !! Autumn hunting will probably be alot of standing around and then some faster bits to the next standing around bit. Def. give it a go I did for the first time last year and loved it !

couple of things I have found out ...... put a stronger bit in - cheltenham gag is my new best friend, tuck behind horse in front - that way you will be more in control (dont tuck in behind horse with red ribbon ie. mine though!) my chap is very rude but they do learn to stay behind ! always stay with the field master - dont worry about what the huntsman are doing its the field master you need to stay with. Turn horses head towards hounds and.......................... have fun !!!

If you put on here which pack you are thinking of going with I am sure someone will know them !!

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I think the amount of enjoyment you get depends a lot on your horse. I hunted throughout my teens and early 20s and we had some really good, well mannered horses. I lived for Saturdays and I loved every minute.

For some reason, all my more recent horses haven't had the head for it (it can literally blow some horses minds), and even my current horse, who in theory should be super to hunt, would not be suitable as he has previously kicked dogs (on more than one occasion :() that have come too close to him, and I don't dare take that risk.

Jesstickle

Visit site
What constant speed? More like a lot of hanging around in the freezing cold with the occasional run if you were lucky in the old days, with mountains of mud to clean off tack and horse when you got back. Can't comment on the new hunting without a fox though.

And that, my friend, is why you should go drag hunting instead :D

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
I went on a fox hunt once, only because it was crossing the land of the yard I was working at at the time. My horse was a nutter both at the meet and also once we set off. He bucked and plunged constantly while we were waiting for a jump. I turned round and went home again!

McNally

Visit site
Umm, yes, As a kid (about 15?) I took my beloved pony hunting....
At the meet we were ok but as the field set off along a narrow lane hell broke loose resulting in me and pony going from back to front (yes i mean proper front) within seconds at high speed We knocked 2 ladies off their horses over took the master and caused general mayhem. This resulted in numerous people hurling abuse at me. I was incredibly shaken and not one to take angry screaming people lightly anyway.
The hunt master told me to "f off and not come back until i could control that f'ing ugly piece of sh** i was riding"

I was a long way from home and had to get my very highly over excited pony back alone through land i didnt know as the horses i went with and their owners obviously wanted to stay!

It was horrible and ive never been again- Yet i do love to see the hunt and have a secret yearning to try again i probably never will!
Have fun though :)

Bernster

Visit site
Lots of useful info on the hunting tab of this forum if you want tips etc.

Agree with others that those (few) who don't like it is mainly due to not liking riding at speed and/or a serious loss of brakes on a nutty horse.

I am a fan and can't wait for the next season to start, although have a new horse so that will be entertaining to see how we go (inc with stronger bit!). I am however a total wuss when it comes to hunt jumps though so need an extra dose of bravery by the Autumn ! And an air jacket ;)

Went out with one hunt who weren't as friendly so does pay to try a few and see who you gel with.

Like you, I'm early 40's and ridden for the last 7/8 years, so there is def hope!!

Copperpot

Visit site
I think it totally depends on your horse. I had a horse that I hated hunting. He wouldn't stand and would rear etc. I used to dread going. Since I got my current horse I love it again. Roll on autumn!! :)

turkana

Visit site
McNally
That sounds awful, you were only a kid & that is no way to treat anybody, let alone some one so young.
I wouldn't go out with such horrible people again either, the least they could have done is make sure you got home safely.
I like hunting but not enough to go really regularly, I used to be a thruster who went like dynamite, jumped everything & hunted at every opportunity but now I prefer to go with the non-jumping field master (that way I can pick & choose my fences, I only jump nice & inviting jumps). For me the main attraction is getting to ride on private land that I wouldn't usually have access to.

djlynwood

Visit site
but now I prefer to go with the non-jumping field master (that way I can pick & choose my fences, I only jump nice & inviting jumps). For me the main attraction is getting to ride on private land that I wouldn't usually have access to.

I think this what I will be like.

Jango

Visit site
I went hunting last year and it was fun and my horse was good, but I really didn't feel like it was worth the money. It was £50 for a non-member and as im not really interested in the hounds/fox aspect, I'd much prefer XC schooling or a mad hack on the beach!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I went out on the last day before the ban as I wanted to experience it and also support my friend who was a member.

My very stroppy 17 hander tanked off with me down a spiral 2 mile long drive between the boxes and the meet, and threatened to rear with me every time he was asked to stand still. Eventually he got puffed out and refused to jump a ditch that was unavoidable (even the knitting circle were jumping it) and several people had to stay behind to help get him over. He kicked out at one horse after it bit him on the quarters although didnt make contact with anything/anyone but unfortunately a lot more people saw the kick out than the great lump the other horse took out of him....so I was embarrassed...:-(((

I think he had the time of his life !!! but I was a gibbering wreck and havent hunted since, tho I still like XC rides and endurance. Just not on that horse, you need a horse with some manners really to enjoy it I think :)))

Just after the tank down the spiral drive.....Everyone else was enjoying sausage rolls and I was exhausted already. Note the curly sweat on horses neck - before we'd even left the meet - oh and the body protector over my jacket....:-DDDD I should add horse had recovered from a long running virus and was still quite poor in muscle etc but that days hunting really aided his zing and recovery from it, he bounced back far quicker afterwards!
img003.jpg

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I think it totally depends on your horse. I had a horse that I hated hunting. He wouldn't stand and would rear etc. I used to dread going. Since I got my current horse I love it again. Roll on autumn!! :)

Are you with the Oakley? That's who I used to be with when I had horses with brains, and without death wishes :D. If we get my OH a horse, I'm going to make sure it's safe to hunt, and then I'll start venturing out again. I've not been out since he ban. Has a lot changed?

*Spider*

Visit site
I went cubbing and didn't like it. It was mine and my horses first time. One word. DANGEROUS. I do not want to put myself or my horse in that situation again.
He bolted everywhere through panic. Trotting around on the roads was fun though :)
I'm never going again though.

Copperpot

Visit site
MissMincePie&Brandy, I do go out with the Oakley now and then as that's where I bought my horse from :) Last season I went with the Garfton mainly. Also had a day with Farmers Bloodhounds which was awesome :) I shall get out with Oakley a few times this season I expect. Yard I'm at now is Aylesbury way so will be the Kimblewick for me :)

arizonahoney

Visit site
Tried autumn hunting once on my tank of a share cob. Hated it - got tanked. Too exciting for him and I didn't exactly go equipped with proper brakes.

Tried again with my 14hh pony and absolutely loved it. Can't wait for the season to start :D

ihatework

Visit site
I'm a little ambivalent about it all.

For me the crux of the matter as to whether it is fun and worth the money boils down to ..

a) How good the horse is
b) The particular meet and how suitable the going/jumping is for your objective!

On a nutty horse it's never fun for me. On a horse that won't jump reliably it's also no fun. Some of the fox packs go out all day and hang around A LOT, that is very boring. Sometimes the pack are just nutters and go too fast across dodgy ground, again no fun.

However if the horse behaves, the ground is good and the jumping appropriate then it's BRILLIANT!!!

sonicgold

Visit site
Depends on what you want and the horse. I love hunting both before the ban and legally afterwards. [What we think of the ban is our own opinion but it is there and has to be obeyed] One of mine huts very calmly and a good day is had by all, the other is a fruit loop and will never be hunted again.

rubysmum

Visit site
Me, me
Although i loved the dressing up bit and the behemoth mare looking smart BUT the whole high speed careering about in big open spaces with people who have no fear is not for timid little me

mcnaughty

Visit site

LOL - love this - how true! I have never galloped flat out across country - loads of hanging around drinking and chatting interrupted by a fast trot, stop, fast trot back up the same lane, stop etc. Love it though! You get to ride across country that you would never get the chance to do!