Anyone want a thread for the Olympic dressage live?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Right, I’m off to ride. As much as Chilli would like to be doing GP we’ll be working on working with neck down, nose out and calm!
well that's where it all begins innit. We're on passage-ish and 1 tempis bootcamp but I've got zigzag feels today after all that so if I can get indoors to see the mirror thats what we will be doing :D Fully inspired now :D

Wishfilly

Visit site
Ok, so at the moment automatic qualifiers are:

Charlotte Fry, Therese Nilshagen, Cathrine Dufour, Edward Gal, Jessica von Bredow-Werndel, Sabine Schut-Kery

Six best of the rest also go through, at the moment (in order) that is:

Hans Peter Minderhoud, Carl Hester, Nanna Skodborg Merrald, Rodrigo Torres, Beatriz Ferrer-Salat, Yvonne Losos de Muniz

Wishfilly

Visit site
Current team standings (teams who've had 2 riders go):

Netherlands, Denmark, Great Britain, Sweden, Portugal, Spain, Russia.

(top 8 teams qualify for the GP special).

milliepops

Visit site
eeek i'm so excited for tomorrow! we've got to go to a crappy party tonight, i hope it's peeing down because it's in a marquee and I want to get home early to make sure I'm done with morning stables in time to watch! Caroline Chew who is third to go lives opposite my stables :)

Wishfilly

Visit site
eeek i'm so excited for tomorrow! we've got to go to a crappy party tonight, i hope it's peeing down because it's in a marquee and I want to get home early to make sure I'm done with morning stables in time to watch! Caroline Chew who is third to go lives opposite my stables :)

How exciting!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Carl is well placed then providing tomorrow doesn't have really stonking high scores then

I think so- the groups are supposed to be relatively even, although the first one seems to have been a little bit softer than the others. But I am assuming they are expecting a roughly even number of qualifiers from each day, so he should hopefully be ok!

Parrotperson

Visit site
So. My nephew who lives in London was on his way too Edinburgh and popped in to say hello. JUST BEFORE CARL'S TEST!!

Hanging offence right? ?

Anyway anyone point me to a video of it?

milliepops

Visit site
I went back and re-watched En Vogue and Fogoso for my own understanding. Not looking to start a scrap :p but this is what I took from it.

I think it's easy to remember the mistakes and Carl's mistakes to my eye were in the 2s and the extended canter following. he was given a muddle of scoring for the change after that, i think it was correct as he was on the right lead before the left change, and the change was correct, the judges were split. it was very dependent on where they were sitting whether they could see that.

I think it boils down to (for me) where the big scores fall so I looked at the coefficient marks. Carl's trot half passes were in better balance for me, Rodrigo's horse is very talented sideways but just appeared to lose balance a touch particularly on the changeover. that's the first x2 score - one for each HP
next big difference was in the walk, En Vogue averaged about 6.5 for the extended and more like 7.5 for the collected, and Fogoso 5 or 5.5 for extended (can't see it all on vid, appears to shy at the end) and 6 for collected. each x2
Fogoso made a mistake in the change after the extended so got the same 4s that Carl did there

zigzag, no errors for either, i would argue the overall quality of balance and ease is better from En Vogue, who averaged about an 8.5 to Fogoso's 7
and again in the 1s, it's hard with that big crest when the camera shows it head on but it appears that he just gets a touch down in front by comparison - En Vogue averaged about an 8, to Fogoso's 7

piris evenly matched

Fogoso undoubtedly had better piaffe scores but it wasn't quite enough to pull back all the other things, particularly when there are little half mark differences here and there on the normal scoring movements, such as the extensions. just my 2p.

Last edited:

Parrotperson

Visit site
I went back and re-watched En Vogue and Fogoso for my own understanding. Not looking to start a scrap :p but this is what I took from it.

I think it's easy to remember the mistakes and Carl's mistakes to my eye were in the 2s and the extended canter following. he was given a muddle of scoring for the change after that, i think it was correct as he was on the right lead before the left change, and the change was correct, the judges were split. it was very dependent on where they were sitting whether they could see that.

I think it boils down to (for me) where the big scores fall so I looked at the coefficient marks. Carl's trot half passes were in better balance for me, Rodrigo's horse is very talented sideways but just appeared to lose balance a touch particularly on the changeover. that's the first x2 score - one for each HP
next big difference was in the walk, En Vogue averaged about 6.5 for the extended and more like 7.5 for the collected, and Fogoso 5 or 5.5 for extended (can't see it all on vid, appears to shy at the end) and 6 for collected. each x2
Fogoso made a mistake in the change after the extended so got the same 4s that Carl did there

zigzag, no errors for either, i would argue the overall quality of balance and ease is better from En Vogue, who averaged about an 8.5 to Fogoso's 7
and again in the 1s, it's hard with that big crest when the camera shows it head on but it appears that he just gets a touch down in front by comparison - En Vogue averaged about an 8, to Fogoso's 7

piris evenly matched

Fogoso undoubtedly had better piaffe scores but it wasn't quite enough to pull back all the other things, particularly when there are little half mark differences here and there on the normal scoring movements, such as the extensions. just my 2p.

how did you back to watch? I missed it - a relative arrived just at the wrong time danm it!

I was watching od discovery plus but couldn't figure out if I could go back and watch. I'm not v good technically with things like this!

teapot

Visit site
I had to leave for my second jab as Carl came down the centre line.

Grateful for the £7 spent on Discovery+ - bargain really!

Parrotperson

Visit site
I just managed to figure out how to replay and watched Carl's test.

Was that a fly that En Vogue reacted to in the two times?

Something happened......

palo1

Visit site

piris evenly matched

That is really helpful and easy to understand thank you! I did think that apart from anything else Fogoso's crest gives him a very slight visual advantage as he instantly looks slightly/a lot more 'uphill' than En Vogue who is physically more 'even' to look at. I am sure the judges are not affected by that but the crest might be a slight distraction in some situations I reckon. I think too, we are so used to seeing Carl almost always 'perfect' and in this case he and En Vogue looked slightly less something - not sure what really...Carl also has a horse that really can do all of the moves where Fogoso's natural strengths are slightly less even I think; he is just amazing in piaffe and passage which probably appeal more to an audience than boring old, very important walk lol!! It helps to explain why, for people training, the basics are just so incredibly important. I still prefer Fogoso: he has so much presence where I am not so sure that En Vogue does really...personal, uneducated opinion obviously!!

littleshetland

Visit site
Am I the only one thinking all the riders looked incredibly hot and sweaty? Carl in particular looked like a beetroot and very unhappy....poor lad. BTW, horse of the day for me was the grey Luso, but I am a bit biased towards Iberians at the moment...

Parrotperson

Visit site
That is really helpful and easy to understand thank you! I did think that apart from anything else Fogoso's crest gives him a very slight visual advantage as he instantly looks slightly/a lot more 'uphill' than En Vogue who is physically more 'even' to look at. I am sure the judges are not affected by that but the crest might be a slight distraction in some situations I reckon. I think too, we are so used to seeing Carl almost always 'perfect' and in this case he and En Vogue looked slightly less something - not sure what really...Carl also has a horse that really can do all of the moves where Fogoso's natural strengths are slightly less even I think; he is just amazing in piaffe and passage which probably appeal more to an audience than boring old, very important walk lol!! It helps to explain why, for people training, the basics are just so incredibly important. I still prefer Fogoso: he has so much presence where I am not so sure that En Vogue does really...personal, uneducated opinion obviously!!

interestly I saw Charlotte riding en vogue as a five year old in a demonstration. I said to my friend ‘that’ll make the Olympics’ cos he had presence. Tons and tons of it.
But that wasn’t the horse I saw today.

whether Carl couldn’t quite ride him forward enough or whether the horse had an off day I don’t know. Maybe it was the heat?