Anyone want a thread for the Olympic dressage live?

palo1

Visit site
interestly I saw Charlotte riding en vogue as a five year old in a demonstration. I said to my friend ‘that’ll make the Olympics’ cos he had presence. Tons and tons of it.
But that wasn’t the horse I saw today.

whether Carl couldn’t quite ride him forward enough or whether the horse had an off day I don’t know. Maybe it was the heat?

When I have seen en Vogue previously I thought he was lovely but today possibly wasn't his best for whatever reason. Fogoso is very distinctive too. I prefer that stockier, more cobby type too even though I can see that the modern dressage warmbloods have more facility, physiologically to be better across every element. So fascinating to watch all these really brilliant horses and riders.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
MP, If I pay up for Eurosport now, will I be able to watch todays' tests do you think? Also would really love to watch Charlotte and Caroline tomorrow so might do it anyway!
Probably, I could see other historical stuff when I signed up ?

Wishfilly

Visit site
I went back and re-watched En Vogue and Fogoso for my own understanding. Not looking to start a scrap :p but this is what I took from it.

I think it's easy to remember the mistakes and Carl's mistakes to my eye were in the 2s and the extended canter following. he was given a muddle of scoring for the change after that, i think it was correct as he was on the right lead before the left change, and the change was correct, the judges were split. it was very dependent on where they were sitting whether they could see that.

I think it boils down to (for me) where the big scores fall so I looked at the coefficient marks. Carl's trot half passes were in better balance for me, Rodrigo's horse is very talented sideways but just appeared to lose balance a touch particularly on the changeover. that's the first x2 score - one for each HP
next big difference was in the walk, En Vogue averaged about 6.5 for the extended and more like 7.5 for the collected, and Fogoso 5 or 5.5 for extended (can't see it all on vid, appears to shy at the end) and 6 for collected. each x2
Fogoso made a mistake in the change after the extended so got the same 4s that Carl did there

zigzag, no errors for either, i would argue the overall quality of balance and ease is better from En Vogue, who averaged about an 8.5 to Fogoso's 7
and again in the 1s, it's hard with that big crest when the camera shows it head on but it appears that he just gets a touch down in front by comparison - En Vogue averaged about an 8, to Fogoso's 7

piris evenly matched

Fogoso undoubtedly had better piaffe scores but it wasn't quite enough to pull back all the other things, particularly when there are little half mark differences here and there on the normal scoring movements, such as the extensions. just my 2p.

Really appreciate this analysis, thank you! At the time, I didn't see the walk mistake, which obviously causes a big drop of marks. And definitely what Carl and En Vogue did well, they did very well!

I think perhaps as a casual viewer, it is easy to focus on one thing e.g. the piaffe, and forget that all the other movements have an equal input into the scores (and that one mistake only impacts that movement, even if it sticks in one's mind!)

If Carl Hester doesn’t get a slot for the GPS does that mean the team are out of competition?

I thinkkkk the team quals and the individual quals are seperate. So the top 8 teams qualify for the GPS based on accumulated scores and the riders qualify for the Kur separately.

The team are in 3rd atm (bearing in mind some teams have only had one rider go) so I think bar some kind of disaster, they will be in the GPS. As a casual follower, I think, for example, we have our best rider to go, whereas Denmark (in second) have perhaps had their best rider go already? Obviously Germany, and I would imagine the US (and possibly other countries too) will push some of the qualified teams out when all countries have had 3 riders go, but I think we are pretty safe?

Wishfilly

Visit site
WRT En Vogue, was it the rider after him when the heavens absolutely opened? I think some horses can be sensitive to a change in air pressure and that may have led to some tension?

Just pure speculation, obviously!

Supertrooper

Visit site
I remember seeing Vogue at Your Horse Live when he’d hardly been out anywhere as he was so so sensitive and hot. Charlotte said how incredibly tricky he’d been to break

So amazing he’s now at the Olympics. He’s a beautiful horse and couldn’t have a better rider holding his hand

littleshetland

Visit site
Their “cool” time is higher than the average temps we are having now and I can barely breathe let alone perform a GP test so yeah, I’d be a beetroot coloured sack of potatoes lol
Yes, it's absolutely stifling over there, but as well as looking like a beetroot and feeling like he's about to boil over, no doubt, he just didn't look happy.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Finally managed to watch it! Just my brief thoughts from the some of the major combos.
Lottie Fry: super talented horse, a bit short and tense in the neck but hugely expressive and very well ridden from her!
Edward Gal: horse is stunning, amazing extensions, still a little tension but as ever Edward rides so quietly and seems to manage to keep a lid on all that power.
Catherine Dufour: really really impressed, lovely relaxed test and a fabulous rhythmic passage/piaffe
Carl Hester: a shame about the mistakes, felt he didn’t have an easy time out there. I think he’s a super horse with more to show. Hope he can unwind a bit if he gets through tomorrow (fingers crossed)
Sabine: wow, really really impressed. Stunning elegant horse, harmonious and relaxed. She deserved that big score!
Hans Peter: didn’t wow me as much as Edward’s, seemed a little fussy in the contact? Lovely fluid paces though and a massive extended canter.

The standard is very high so far, I’m impressed.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Yes, it's absolutely stifling over there, but as well as looking like a beetroot and feeling like he's about to boil over, no doubt, he just didn't look happy.

Agreed. After a flicker of a smile, I couldn't quite work out what his expression was. Disappointment, upset, frustration? He certainly wasn't happy and looked like he wished he'd stayed at home. Certainly not the positive, upbeat Carl we're used to seeing, that's for sure. Perhaps a mixture of being boiled alive, jetlag, feeling his age, frustration at making mistakes....... who knows. I've just re-watched some videos of En Vogue 3 years ago ridden by Charlotte. He looks like a different horse. Anyway..... onwards. Cannot wait to watch the peerless Charlotte tomorrow on the pocket rocket!

Equi

Visit site
I’m ready! Til 12:30 anyway lol then I drive to yard and have an alarm set on my phone for Charlotte

Equi

Visit site
No he didn’t really. He normally would post on fb after something but hasn’t posted yet so I assume he’s a bit peeved.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
anyone know why its not started, i am not happy with discovery :mad: i thought i saw a help button yesterday but cant find it now, perhaps they dont know its not airing for us. thanks mp but i want to watch it on my tv as its all set up for discovery, not happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!