Anyone watching Crufts on more 4?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I am very pleased they didn't decide to make an example of the GSD, as he has top working qualifications it would probably have made the vet/kc pretty stupid if he had been declared not fit for function.
On a personal note, I am thrilled that the dog we used on Evie got the Reserve ticket, and his half sister the reserve bitch ticket. :D

EAST KENT

Visit site
Meanwhile..the rejected Peke has had an assessment from an independent vet..and it`s passed with no hitches.Oh oh..trouble ahead :D:D

muddygreymare

Visit site
What's going on there then EK? Is the vet on the day's decision final, or will the dog get it's BOB now because it's been cleared as healthy?

Am so glad the Newfie won the Working group, he was absolutely stunning :)

hjohnson93

Visit site
Loved the burmese though, and never seen a tibetan mastiff. Would like to have seen them emphasise a bit more how much work these big dogs are. Veryyy happy the boxer got placed as well! Half brother of my dog!

burtie

Visit site
I 'm glad on the comments about the lab, as the owner of an adorable 18 month old black lab, I was gob smacked by the weight on the winining lab as he looked very fat to me and I just thought maybe I know nothing about good breed examples, my dog now thinks I starve him. :)

RutlandH2O

Visit site
Just watched the working group. Love the Newfie. The interview with the owner/handler of the Newfie with Clare Balding, showed the dog's haw. If I were the Clumber owner, I'd be asking some questions. I'm not saying the Newfie should have been disqualified (not one of the at risk dogs?), nor do I feel the Clumber should have been. Perhaps dogs exhibiting at Champ shows should present the show giving club with a certificate of health before entering the ring. If I were the breed judge and had one of my breed winners thrown out before the group judging, I know I'd be quite put out. In becoming a breed judge, I would have thought that each breeds' standards would be studied and understood, while those problems peculiar to the breeds would be scrutinised and assimilated (without stepping into the area of veterinary medicine).

SusieT

Visit site
Re the light source-I'm assumign they saw enough to disqualify but used the light source to confirm the findings.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I was hoping cc would post but in her absence will put in my bit. The Gsd is supposed to have a top line that slopes from wither to tail so yes he is correct:) he also has a stamp normal hips and elbows, haemophilia clear, DNA tested and top working qualifications. I thought he moved well on the carpet considering at a normal show he would have been gaiting for possibly an hour, last time I saw his handler he was wearing track suit bottoms and running shoes :) I loved the newfie so quite happy with result. Did anyone else think the working group judge was very rough with dogs :(, I did agree with his choices tho picked first 4 in group:)

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
He was awfully abrupt with the dogs I thought, some of them backed right off and were not happy with it.

Loved the husky (obvs :p) and what a contrast to the plush, fluffy, even slightly dumpy American dogs last month.

R is the spit of the Canadian Eskimo Dog with his defunct tail and sloping topline

MurphysMinder

Visit site
We obviously don't do Sunday mornings BC :p. If any judge had tried to look at my dogs teeth like that I would not have been impressed, I always prefer to show my own dogs teeth and one of the first things you are taught is NOT to cover the dogs nose whilst showing the teeth, he did it several times.:(
Poor R, he can't help his tail :)

RutlandH2O

Visit site
I was hoping cc would post but in her absence will put in my bit. The Gsd is supposed to have a top line that slopes from wither to tail so yes he is correct:) he also has a stamp normal hips and elbows, haemophilia clear, DNA tested and top working qualifications. I thought he moved well on the carpet considering at a normal show he would have been gaiting for possibly an hour, last time I saw his handler he was wearing track suit bottoms and running shoes :) I loved the newfie so quite happy with result. Did anyone else think the working group judge was very rough with dogs :(, I did agree with his choices tho picked first 4 in group:)

My OH and I were quite taken aback at the rough handling of the dogs, especially around their faces and heads. The judge may have been told to consider time constraints because of the televised nature of the show, but flashing his hands over the dogs the way he did could have caused some unforeseen reactions. I loved the Newfie!

Was it just me, or did anyone else feel that the dogs in the groups got shortchanged when they were televised? It would have been nice to see each dog's full down and back and circle to the end of the queue. I realise that would have taken several seconds more per dog, but the programme could have dropped several minutes of Ms. Shah's shopping trips.
The coverage of flyball and agility was great. I only wish the conformation ring had as much. It is Crufts Dog Show, after all. Also, why were a few of the exhibits (Russian Black Terrier and another breed) not filmed on the move?

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
Thank you for chipping in, MurphysMinder! I wonder now if the more level-top-line GSDs I remember from my youth were the ones with shonky hips.

Oh, and woot! My godmother's deerhound, Rollo, came third in his class.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
We obviously don't do Sunday mornings BC

Poor R, he can't help his tail :)

Sadly I had to get up half an hour after that for the Sunday lunchtime shift, absolute nightmare of a day!

Nobody told him it wasn't meant to be curly. :) And that he was supposed to have a level topline, not a slopey cripply one. :p

The one and only time I've shown a dog I was asked to show her teeth myself. Agree that it was his hands flashing around the head that worried me (and the dogs!), lots of grasping and pinching.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I said in another thread I thought BIS might come from the hound group, but not so sure asa don't think Borzoi is glamorous enough, though a lovely mover. Really can't decide, I actually love the pom's character :D

ETS. Yep, love that pom!

WandaMare

Visit site
The Newfie looked amazing coming into the ring. Don't know how they can pick out a winner, they are all so different. I love that little Pom and the Old English Sheepdog :)